What's new

What’s your skin-friendliest blade?

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I am curious, what blade angle do you use; steep, neutral or shallow. Just trying to get a handle on why your skin cannot cope with a daily shave.
The smoothest for me are Gillette Silver Blue closely followed by Astra SP and I shave daily at a neutral or shallow blade angle depending on the razor.

Depends on the razor. Steep angle for OC with no gap, ie Fatip. Neutral for safety bar. I also shave with straights which are more skin friendly in my experience.

Well, every one that I use, which are all vintage. They combined sharp as anything with smoother than anything and threw in longevity as an extra. But back when I used modern my regulars were equal. Polsilver and Wizamet Iridiums, Gillette 7s Yellow and Dark Blue and the Silver Blue of same brand along with Rapira Swedish Super Steels. They're were a lot of bad but among highly touted blades Feathers were in the very bad bin.

Depends on combo

In EJ89 my go to blade is Polsilver
In Rockwell best for face is Gillette Bleue Extra

I used GBE in EJ but I had to be really carefull not to get razor burn or iritation. In Rockwell I can't do damage to my face with GBE, yet it cuts hair like laser

This has kind of morphed into a Favorite Blade thread, but I think the original topic was, which blade is most skin friendly. Hard to see how Feathers, Nacets, et. al., can be on that list.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
This has kind of morphed into a Favorite Blade thread, but I think the original topic was, which blade is most skin friendly. Hard to see how Feathers, Nacets, et. al., can be on that list.
Feather. It’s so efficient that less buffing is required; therefore, my skin is rewarded.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
There are ways of using a favorite blade daily if you have mild razor and mid range razor or even better a adjustable.
I like to use a mild razor when using a new blade for 1st or 2nd shave and as the blade deteriorates go to a more aggressive razor possibly or higher gap setting on a adjustable. I like a Gem Personna SS PTFE blade that is very sharp with good longevity, I learned to use a milder Gem razor to take advantage of the sharpness for a few shaves and then use other Gem razors in the mid range as the blade smooths out.
That is one way to enjoy the shaving experience or juggle different blades pertaining to sharpness and smoothness.

Blade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpg

Have some great shaves!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
There are ways of using a favorite blade daily if you have mild razor and mid range razor or even better a adjustable.
I like to use a mild razor when using a new blade for 1st or 2nd shave and as the blade deteriorates go to a more aggressive razor possibly or higher gap setting on a adjustable. I like a Gem Personna SS PTFE blade that is very sharp with good longevity, I learned to use a milder Gem razor to take advantage of the sharpness for a few shaves and then use other Gem razors in the mid range as the blade smooths out.
That is one way to enjoy the shaving experience or juggle different blades pertaining to sharpness and smoothness.

View attachment 1108961
Have some great shaves!
I always love seeing this chart! Thanks.

Your beard preparation, your razor, your lather, and your shaving technique have just as much to do with irritation as the razor blade itself, perhaps even more. I have sensitive skin, but need to use some of the very sharpest blades to cut through my tough beard. I find that all the things I mentioned will allow me to get a very close, irritation free shave, even with a super sharp blade. If everything else is optimized, any blade sharp enough to cut your beard will be face friendly.

Astra SP for me. I have to use it over 15 times before I start getting weepers, and even then it doesn't feel rough.

I seem to gravitate towards the Astra SP but also enjoy the Gillette Rubie +. Sometimes the combination of razor and prep will minimize blade choices.

All depends on the razor imho.

gillette silver blue tamed my qshave into a wonderful effective smooth shaver. With some other it was a nightmare.
The same silver blue in my Parker variant is trouble. A platinum is nice.
derby premium works super in my black beauty.
gem blades out smooth a feather in a oneblade core. Practical I use feather.

For my focus dynamics I prefer bic chrome.
And lastly broman is the easiest one eats allmost any blade with some preference for bic chrome, nacet, Kai

what makes a huge difference do a great prep. Using stirling mentholated pre shave soap and give it time makes the difference for me.

Top Bottom