What's new

Looking for the best high quality DE safety razor? NEW

Plenty of folks seem to believe that only a stainless steel razor can last a lifetime. I wonder how they explain gazillions of 100 year old, near mint condition Gillettes out there, none of which are made from stainless steel. It's a miracle! 😇

As to the OP's question, I agree that for beard trimming, the slimmer the head of the DE razor, the better you are going to be off. That pretty much rules out adjustables, and a 2 or 3-piece razor would be better than a TTO.

I second the recommendation of a Tech. If you want new, I haven't personally used a Fatip, but they look like they'd do the job, they have a great reputation, and they don't break the bank. Spending over $100 for what you are looking for is crazy talk in my opinion.

Last edited:
Of course there are many to choose from that are high quality. I would like to suggest the Above The Tie stainless steel razors. At $185. I find that reasonable.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Yeah i have looked at shavettes/straight razors but i heard that they are hard to use

And safety razor seem to be easier safer to use. I just need one to line up my beard, so something like a Rockwell 6S/6C, Rex Ambassador, Timeless and such would not work for that? I need to look for Gillette ones or something like that? Also do you guys have photos of the Gillettes i should look for i have looked at Ebay but there are alot if them and seems complicated to pick

4OldTypeRazors..640.6-2-18.JPG

If you want an old Gillette I'd suggest an Old Type. If it's ugly that's okay. Just make sure the teeth are straight. The razor is even better in my opinion with the handle replaced with a handle borrowed from a Fat Handled Tech. The two on the ends are with such replacement handles.

5-31-18.OldType.CrummyLooking.OK.640.JPGThree.OldType.Razors.640.5-29-18JPG.JPG

Notice the straight teeth. That's what you look for. Ugly and tarnished is easy to fix.

BestOldType.640.6-18.JPG

This ^ is my favorite Old Type. The handle is from a Fat Handled Tech (which is an easy to find and cheap enough razor). Nothing wrong with the Old Type Handle; I just like the fat handle a lot more.

In my opinion, this is the best razor Gillette ever made. It's brass with chrome or nickel plating.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Blackland Blackbird. I've used many different razors over the years and for me the Blackbird has bested them all with awesome performance and great looks to boot.

First, I don’t think there is a ‘best’ of anything in ’traditional‘ wet shaving! What works for me may or may not work well for you. The good news is that there are so many great options!

Second, since edging your beard is the goal I would consider a SE razor which may be easier to use.

If you really want a ‘lifetime’ DE, then look at some of the SS or Ti options!!

The main thing is to ENJOY the experience IMO!! :a29:

Good Lord, there are some bad recommendations here. A slant for a brand new DE shaver looking for his forever razor, to use as a beard edger?!?! Well, there are also a lot of good suggestions, but I’m surprised not to see more Game Changer recs. OP, please consider the Game Changer .84 by RazoRock. It’s, in my humble opinion, the hands-down best value in stainless steel DE razors out there....offering an incredible combination of smoothness and efficiency, at around $65 for a razor that will truly last you a lifetime. Don‘t get me wrong.....there are certainly more aesthetically pleasing options out there if you want to spend the money....Wolfman, Timeless, etc. But, based on your query, it sounds like the RR GC84 could be exactly what you’re looking for.

This thread is a mess. For your first DE if you want to buy new I have only two recommendations: Merkur 34/33C or Rockwell 6c/s. You don't need a $200 razor (even if its ours). Spend $35-$100 and get something solid and dependable while you work on your technique. Once you know how to shave you'll also be better informed about what you like and dislike in a razor. Then you can step up to something higher end if you're interested.

Yeah i have looked at shavettes/straight razors but i heard that they are hard to use

And safety razor seem to be easier safer to use. I just need one to line up my beard, so something like a Rockwell 6S/6C, Rex Ambassador, Timeless and such would not work for that? I need to look for Gillette ones or something like that? Also do you guys have photos of the Gillettes i should look for i have looked at Ebay but there are alot if them and seems complicated to pick

You are absolutely right to go with a DE. Buying new is very uncomplicated. The only issue for you is the sheer number of good razors for the job you need done.

Unless you really want to dive in the deep end, spend less than $70. For lining up your beard (I do it daily), I recommend a low profile head, so no Timeless, no Rockwell, no adjustable. Necks tend to be tender territory, so any razor known for mildness is the best bet. I started my sons out with Merkur 33 razors. If I was buying for them, for a lifetime of neck shaving and line up, I would choose one of RazoRock’s machined stainless DE razors from the Italian Barber website.

View attachment 1107760

If you want an old Gillette I'd suggest an Old Type. If it's ugly that's okay. Just make sure the teeth are straight. The razor is even better in my opinion with the handle replaced with a handle borrowed from a Fat Handled Tech. The two on the ends are with such replacement handles.

View attachment 1107765View attachment 1107766

Notice the straight teeth. That's what you look for. Ugly and tarnished is easy to fix.

View attachment 1107769

This ^ is my favorite Old Type. The handle is from a Fat Handled Tech (which is an easy to find and cheap enough razor). Nothing wrong with the Old Type Handle; I just like the fat handle a lot more.

In my opinion, this is the best razor Gillette ever made. It's brass with chrome or nickel plating.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I keep a fat handle Old Type as well. I find it to be a great pairing.

The hard part about finding "the best one out there" is you don't yet know what you like and the only way to figure out what you like is by trying a few different razors. Now you might get lucky and buy a $650 Wolfman and love it but what if you just don't like it? The other obvious option is to buy one of each, but you may not want to unload that kind of dollero. I would suggest you try something on less expensive end to begin your journey of learning about razors and finding out what you like. And I would start with a milder razor. There are still lots of options: Game Changer .68 SB, Edwin Jagger DE89, Fatip Gentile/Testina and Merkur 34C are all terrific, under $60 razors. The Game Changer is stainless and the Fatip is brass with plating.

And, as others have said, there is the vintage Gillette Tech. The only challenge with buying a Tech is finding one in good to excellent condition. This is not hard but it could take longer than pressing one button.

This thread is a mess. For your first DE if you want to buy new I have only two recommendations: Merkur 34/33C or Rockwell 6c/s. You don't need a $200 razor (even if its ours). Spend $35-$100 and get something solid and dependable while you work on your technique. Once you know how to shave you'll also be better informed about what you like and dislike in a razor. Then you can step up to something higher end if you're interested.

I somehow skipped over this reply. Well said!

No, you should get a Fatip Open Comb Slant. It's the best DE razor made. Also, it's not expensive. Also it's all brass (all metal, good metal).

Since I began with mine it's all I've used. Efficient and very smooth shaving. Easy to use.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Fumbling about. Yep.

^
Vintage Gillettes or even that Walmart Van Der Hagen are not pieces of junk. Vintage Gillettes are some of the best DE shavers available. As far as I am concerned, a GEM Micromatic OC is one of the best razors ever made, and it's certainly not expensive. Personally, I like SE razors better, but if you want a DE, buy a vintage Tech in great condition and that's all you need to edge your beard. Why make things complicated? You want something brand new? Buy a popular Merkur/Fatip or a Game Changer and again - that's all you need.

I still don’t know what to pick everybody recommends different ones and i can’t decide what to choose from them.

I mostly gonna use it to lineup my beard since i always let my barber do that and wanted to start doing it myself. And like i said i never owned one before so i don’t know much about them. Open comb/closed comb/slant, adjustable/non-adjustable, mild/medium/aggressive i don’t know what to pick. I don’t have a price range, just looking for an overall good one that i keep for a long time without having to own different ones.

I just got mine - it's beautiful and elegant as what an italian made piece of functional art should be.

I have to point out though the piccolo is quite small and though its brass handle is heavy and thus weighty enough to remain in the hand well, its rather short handle may not suit a person with large hands as well.

Welcome to B&B.

For the use you had in mind and focusing on beard edging, I would suggest the Fatip Piccolo Special Edition. First positive blade exposure is better for edging and secondly the open comb may be better for the shaved areas. Even better with the Piccolo SE is you get a second base plate to try. This is an all brass razor so it will last a life time. This is the same razor as in post #12 but with a different handle and finish and an extra base plate.
View attachment 1107743

Why not just pick whichever razor catches your fancy the most and try it? It is a hobby and you can collect however many razors you like so take the time to try out different razors and see which one you like to use the most...dont stress yourself out trying to get the "best" one - that doesnt really exist...

I still don’t know what to pick everybody recommends different ones and i can’t decide what to choose from them.

I mostly gonna use it to lineup my beard since i always let my barber do that and wanted to start doing it myself. And like i said i never owned one before so i don’t know much about them. Open comb/closed comb/slant, adjustable/non-adjustable, mild/medium/aggressive i don’t know what to pick. I don’t have a price range, just looking for an overall good one that i keep for a long time without having to own different ones.

Top Bottom