What's new

How I find the Omega 20102

How do you like this brush, sir?
I didn’t want to derail the Brush of the day thread so I thought I’d answer the question in a new thread.
I really enjoy using the Omega 20102.
I am pretty sure the 20102 has an Omega Pro knot similar to the 48 or 49.
The 20102 has a 28mm knot set at a 59mm loft, so it is a pretty big brush. I actually like the size and I’m a face latherer. Be warned: if you do not pinch the knot while going to town face lathering there will be soap in your ears and nose. I guess I just don’t mind that, but I know it would upset other folks.
I found the tips useable from the start but it has broken in nicely and now is a joy to use. I broke it in by using it, no three day method, or anything besides 1 cleaning palm lather.
There is plenty of backbone even with the large loft. However, the brush will still splay while working the lather.
At this time it is my favorite brush and the most enjoyable/liked of all the brushes I have used. (These are the brushes I’ve used and liked: I’ve tried a few synthetics over the years and kept my Yaqi 28mm mixed red handle, I had an EJ Badger I used for about 5 years till it was lost on a trip, and the other brush of note is my Semogue 830.)
Will you like the Omega 20102 if you’re an avid New Gen Synth fan: probably not while it’s breaking in.
Will you like the Omega 20102 if you’re an avid Wicked Nice Badger Wrangler: probably not while it’s breaking in.
But, if you want to try a nice, reasonably priced Boar Brush with a good handle and you are committed to breaking it in I think the Omega 20102 would be a nice way to start. I also think if you take the time to learn the brush as you break it in you just may find that it is enjoyable for the NG Synth or Badger wrangler.
Enjoy your shave,
Tim
FF0A867F-F6FB-4A8B-9D60-CD9C5629527E.jpeg
AA7B97E5-7F66-4DD7-B144-39BDE1688D7A.jpeg

Thanks a lot for the thorough explanation, and also very good idea to have a thread dedicated to this particular brush, since it is not so easy to find information about it.

I've read somewhere the 20102 has the same knot as the Omega Pro 49 (27-28mm knot with 60mm loft). I have a Proraso brush by Omega (26-27mm knot 56-57mm loft) and I really like it. Classic barber style brush, soft from the very beginning and great backbone and scrub. The lather production is impressive and it gives the lather very easily. I too am a face latherer

However, one thing I don't like so much about the Proraso by Omega is the handle, as it is too long and wide for me (63mm height and 40mm diameter). I noticed the 20102 with a very similar knot but a shorter (57mm height?) and slimmer (35mm wide?) handle, so it caught my attention. How do you find the wood part of the handle?

Anyway, I pulled the trigger this morning for $14 shipped and I should receive it early next week :) Thanks for enabling me

I really like the handle. I find the wood comfortable and the handle is just big enough to adjust my grip for different areas of face lathering without being obnoxious or bulky. I think that you’ll enjoy the brush based on your experience with the Proraso brush. let us know your initial impression and how the break in goes.

Great review!

I especially appreciate your tips on how to get the most out of this brush for face-lathering! :clap: :clap:

OP, how many uses till it got soft, for you?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
Sugardaddy,
I used the brush every other day (alternated with Semogue 830 Boar ) to allow for drying time. I found the brush useable from the first dry cycle after the initial palm lather cleaning, but it was a little pokey.
i saw results pretty quickly, I’d say by the end of week two (7 uses and dry cycles) the tips were significantly softer. As I’ve used the brush it went through a few different stages such as hog the lather for a week, got softer tipped and then hit a plateau for a little bit, etc.
I honestly think it gets better every use and even when it went through the different stages it was still pleasant to use, you just had to adjust a little, I.e. squeeze the lather for the third pass when it was in “Hog Mode”. What I find appealing about the brush is the character and changes that it has displayed, it will only get better with age and it will remain a mainstay in my home.
Tim

Omega 20102 arrived today, together with its bigger sibling 20108.

The 20102 measured 28x63mm with my calipers, and feels dense with backbone. I really liked the smaller and slimmer handle, and the wood base is a plus!

The 20108 is a monster at 27x66mm and a huge 66mm handle. However, it feels comfortable in the hand because of its vase shape. The hair on this feel less dense but softer.

They are soaking in cold water now, I will have to wait 3 days before the first shave

I am very happy with these two not-well-known Omegas. For me they offer a better value than the usual Omegas 48 and 49 because of the better handles, while carrying the exact same knots.

BBDC2069-4451-41DB-AB8F-3F679E0DEE73.jpeg

Last edited:
Omega 20102 arrived today, together with its bigger sibling 20108.

The 20102 measured 28x63mm with my calipers, and feels dense with backbone. I really liked the smaller and slimmer handle, and the wood base is a plus!

The 20108 is a monster at 27x66mm and a huge 66mm handle. However, it feels comfortable in the hand because of its vase shape. The hair on this feel less dense but softer.

They are soaking in cold water now, I will have to wait 3 days before the first shave

I am very happy with these two not-well-known Omegas. For me they offer a better value than the usual Omegas 48 and 49 because of the better handles, while carrying the exact same knots.

View attachment 1106409
Excellent acquisition. I hope that you enjoy your new brushes And that they bring years of great shaves.
Tim

First shave with the 20102 today. I used Castle Forbes Lavender. With 10 seconds I noticed it had already picked up enough cream, but still I went for 15 seconds loading time.

The brush was great. I really like this handle size. It is a little floppier than what I am used to, but it whipped lather in no time and provided a great face feel. It's a true barber brush. I wish I could combine the Proraso loft with the 20102 handle, but anyway very happy with it and it's a keeper :)

Tomorrow I will take the 20106 for a spin

Top Bottom