What's new

Which Tony Miller Strop?

Purchased a 3” veg tanned horsehide with the linen. I’m a newb and was hoping for a strop that I’d be more than content with and never need another. Reading others reviews led me to purchase from him. But after his customer service and purchasing the one, I’m already tempted to order another!

Purchased a 3” veg tanned horsehide with the linen. I’m a newb and was hoping for a strop that I’d be more than content with and never need another. Reading others reviews led me to purchase from him. But after his customer service and purchasing the one, I’m already tempted to order another!

We generally recommend that newcomers to straight razors purchase an inexpensive strop such as Tony's "plain chocolate" until you learn the art of stropping. Unless your manual dexterity is extraordinary, you are likely to nick your new strop until you master the muscle memory needed to strop smoothly. My first strop had so many nicks that I replaced it. It took me about a year before I was confident enough with my technique to purchase a shell cordovan strop. So far, it is nick free.

I am a newcomer who purchased his heirloom #2 steer hide 3" strop with matching linen
component.

The most important part about stropping IMO is the way you grip the razor...you want to be able
to shift directions without having to reposition the razor...you want to grip the shank with
your thumbnail facing in the same direction as the blade....this will help you flip or pivot your
wrist more easily.....give it a few air strokes before laying it on the leather. Go a little slow at first.
Add some speed as you pick up some rhythm and are comfortable.

Can anyone explain the difference performance wise between the Old NO 2 Steer hide and the Old NO 2 Horse hide strops?

I'm hoping that the Plain Vanilla Strop becomes available soon but somewhere down the road I plan on getting an Old NO 2 with the handles and Linen. Just not sure about which type of leather to get.

We generally recommend that newcomers to straight razors purchase an inexpensive strop such as Tony's "plain chocolate" until you learn the art of stropping. Unless your manual dexterity is extraordinary, you are likely to nick your new strop until you master the muscle memory needed to strop smoothly. My first strop had so many nicks that I replaced it. It took me about a year before I was confident enough with my technique to purchase a shell cordovan strop. So far, it is nick free.

I chopped up the bottom of my first strop pretty badly while learning. Ended up cutting the chewed up bottom off of it, making it a short travel strop that stays in my suitcase!

Can anyone explain the difference performance wise between the Old NO 2 Steer hide and the Old NO 2 Horse hide strops?

I'm hoping that the Plain Vanilla Strop becomes available soon but somewhere down the road I plan on getting an Old NO 2 with the handles and Linen. Just not sure about which type of leather to get.

They're both outstanding strops. You cannot make a wrong choice here. Both leathers will perform equally well at preparing your edge. I have both and find that the Horsehide has a lighter draw than the Steerhide.

I have had and used the horse longer than the steer. Tony Miller describes both as light to medium. For me, the broken in horse is a little softer/slower/heavier. I like that, but I’m trying to focus on the steer now and see how it develops over time.

If I consistently shaved with the same SR, I might be able to choose one over the other on edge-maintaining properties, but I think that is more a factor of technique than choice of strop, at least for me. I keep my strop as vertical as possible while and strop with very light pressure. I’ve settled on about 30 laps.

I don’t use any strop dressing and only lightly brush with my hand (no rubbing) to keep the surface free of any dust and debris. The quality is great, Tony Miller is an artisan and a gentleman, and for me, the linen (I don’t paste it) is worth the cost. Hope that helps.

But after his customer service and purchasing the one, I’m already tempted to order another!

I did, and I’m not sorry! So far the horse and the steer (both 3”) are different enough that I enjoy having the choice. Plus I can keep one next to my razor storage and one close to the den (but out of the water vapors). And rotate of course, this is B&B!

I did, and I’m not sorry! So far the horse and the steer (both 3”) are different enough that I enjoy having the choice. Plus I can keep one next to my razor storage and one close to the den (but out of the water vapors). And rotate of course, this is B&B!
Out of water vapors? I have mine hanging against my bathroom mirror. Should I not do this?

I have only straight shaved a couple months now but do not know how to care for my strop. I just keep it clean, straight, and don’t cut it!

Out of water vapors? I have mine hanging against my bathroom mirror. Should I not do this?

I have only straight shaved a couple months now but do not know how to care for my strop. I just keep it clean, straight, and don’t cut it!

My den is a small shower and vanity with 5 people using it at present. Four shavers! Not well ventilated, but the best shower and shaving mirror in this old house.

So it is a very moist space with a lot of traffic. Not the ideal spot for a strop.

I would say, if water is condensing on your strop, if it gets splashed at all, if it gets regularly handled by others, move it to a better spot. My den strop hangs in an low traffic spot nearby. My other leather strop hangs next to my razor storage, near my pasted balsa strops.

After great success with the 3” horsehide I’d be very tempted to add a Shell Cardovan or Novotan to the line up. Will have to wait for more stock to arrive.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets

Different donor animals.

All of Tony's strops look like worthy purchases to me. The main difference between different purpose-made strops from knowledgeable makers is the tactile response and the aesthetics. The final result of stropping, between different strops of different supposed quality levels, is surprisingly similar. IOW your razor won't know the difference. But you will. I just bought myself a $155 (sale price) Kanayama and it is very nice to use, hold, see, feel, even smell. I also have a bunch of strops I made out of plain cowhide. I can strop a razor on any of them, or for that matter my little $8.88 Pakistani strop from theexbay, and I can't tell the difference. YMMV.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Different donor animals.

All of Tony's strops look like worthy purchases to me. The main difference between different purpose-made strops from knowledgeable makers is the tactile response and the aesthetics. The final result of stropping, between different strops of different supposed quality levels, is surprisingly similar. IOW your razor won't know the difference. But you will. I just bought myself a $155 (sale price) Kanayama and it is very nice to use, hold, see, feel, even smell. I also have a bunch of strops I made out of plain cowhide. I can strop a razor on any of them, or for that matter my little $8.88 Pakistani strop from theexbay, and I can't tell the difference. YMMV.
<Late Edit for Clarification>
What I meant to say in my closing remark is I can't tell the difference in the shave, between identical razors stropped on different strops. Obviously I can tell the difference while stropping.

<Late Edit for Clarification>
What I meant to say in my closing remark is I can't tell the difference in the shave, between identical razors stropped on different strops. Obviously I can tell the difference while stropping.

Quite true. You can produce a nice edge using strops made from cowhide, horsehide, pig skin, kangaroo hide, bison hide, etc. The draw and feel during stropping will feel different, but any can produce a suitable edge when used properly.

The standard advice on B&B would be to acquire at least one of each and see which you prefer. I love the feel of a sharp blade sliding across any nice piece of leather. It is very therapeutic.

B2A610D4-1071-41E2-ADD8-3D698775F37B.jpeg

Any Tony Miller strop one chooses will be a winner. My runaway favorite choice is Tony’s “Roughout” (2nd from right). Very heavy draw. Best value for certain is the “Plain Chocolate” Horween horsehide.
Truth be told, I can’t tell the difference between edges stropped on one or the other🤔

View attachment 1107418
Any Tony Miller strop one chooses will be a winner. My runaway favorite choice is Tony’s “Roughout” (2nd from right). Very heavy draw. Best value for certain is the “Plain Chocolate” Horween horsehide.
Truth be told, I can’t tell the difference between edges stropped on one or the other🤔

OH MY.....The caps on that first one!!! I literally just audibly gasped when I saw this, you are a lucky man.

I had my eye on a Roughout as my next treat. Just as soon as I graduate methinks.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
View attachment 1107418

I am stealing this pic! BTW, the snaps going in opposite directions is killing my OCD.....you know how I am about these things :eek2: (first cap is not mine, just the strop it is on)

Top Bottom