What's new

Fragrance / Scent of the day.

Jasmin Antique by Rogue
I recently sampled this one. The jasmine has been in full bloom in my yard, and I was looking forward to trying this particular offering from Rogue. But oy! This was not for me. I know that jasmine, in fragrances, has an indolic quality, and can be "tricky", but this one did not work for me at all. I'm wondering if the sample had "turned".

Been looking at this. Any tips to score the right box/bottle?
I have a vintage (mid-late 80's) almost empty two ounce bottle and a four ounce bottle from around 2016. The vintage bottle is a beast, strong with patchouli, carnation/rose, spices and honey. It almost wipes you out on applying with a strong, almost sour note which fades into a floral and sweet scent within 15 minutes. This remains for a while and then the patchouli comes on, and this is where GBH shines. Longevity is 8-10 hours. The newer bottle is weaker, but still potent and lives for 6-7 hours. The two have small differences, nothing major. Giorgio can take a few wearings to get used to, but I would recommend it if you like oriental/floral/patchouli scents. Nowadays you can find the four ounce bottle at TJMaxx, Marshalls, Burlington Coat, etc. for a reasonable price. Of course I prefer the vintage, but the recent version is nice, long lasting, commands attention and is a varsity stud compared to most designer hogwash marketed today. eBay and Etsy may have some vintage offerings, but probably pulling major cash. The vintage is a mid-green/yellow color, the newer juice is more like a light herbal tea color, almost no color at all. Bottom line for me, it is in my top ten of about thirty fragrances owned.

Last edited:
EECB1A76-569E-46A3-A500-24BAE7C51CB5.jpeg

I recently sampled this one. The jasmine has been in full bloom in my yard, and I was looking forward to trying this particular offering from Rogue. But oy! This was not for me. I know that jasmine, in fragrances, has an indolic quality, and can be "tricky", but this one did not work for me at all. I'm wondering if the sample had "turned".
Probably not. It seems from some Basenotes comments that the indolic facet of the jasmine is particularly strong/noticeable to a relatively small percentage of people wearing it, and it sounds like you are one. I don’t know the cause for sure, but it probably is a sensitivity that some have to one of the ingredients used in the perfume. I am not much of a fan of insoles myself, so if I were smelling what you are I would probably run a mile... Luckily for me, I get only a very small indolic aspect at the open which fades over the first hour or two.

Been looking at this. Any tips to score the right box/bottle?
Look for a bottle that has mossy green juice.

I recommend avoiding the current release as the late dry-down is destroyed due to the IFRA restrictions on oakmoss. I did a side-by-side comparison of the two throughout their development on skin for Basenotes years ago and the differences became quite apparent late. Strength was actually pretty similar, but the smell was ruined for the dry-down (the lack of the essential oakmoss in the base on the current version became all too obvious).

Avoid all the boxes that list tree moss in the ingredients list (and the juice in the bottle is a light translucent green color), as those are the “bad” current release bottles.

Top Bottom