What's new

Anybody Here Ever Made Camel Bone Scales from Scratch? Well, from Camel Bones, anyway.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I am interested in cutting up camel leg and shoulder blade bones into razor scales. Anybody here doing that? Looking particularly for answers from someone who has actually cut these bones up into scales already. I am pretty sure the leg bones will have a large pithy core but I am thinking I should still get maybe 4 pairs from one. But the shoulder blades, are they pretty solid? If so I should be able to saw one of them up into several pairs, right? And what about giraffe bones? I have made quite a lot of horn, wood, and synthetic scales, so not interested in how-to or recommendations in that area. I have done a couple pairs of prefab bone scales and I rather like them, but I really don't like paying so much and trusting some guy in India to get it right for whatever razor I am rescaling, so I am looking into a DIY approach.

Slash McCoy

I'm watching this as well, as I have never done bone scales yet, I do have 2 bits I bought to try but never got around to it. It will be interesting to know how it's done and what is involved.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
The mail girl brought me a pair of ready made scales and a pair of bone slabs today. Re-shoeing a couple of new razors in bone is the latest project to add to my list. Maybe I will get to it next week.

Is it true that bone scales are more likely to warp than other materials? I like the idea of bone but have warping in the back of my mind.

What do you want to know? Bone can be difficult to work with and it smells foul when cutting, boiling or sanding. Be prepared to through away your clothes...

Bone must be dry/cured a couples of months outside in the shade, or buried in the soil for a couple of months. Cut of the heads off and devide the shaft into slabs. Boil the slabs until all fat residue is gone. Dry the slabs in the sun for a week or 2.

Only use the front long bones, densest bone is not always the best as they crack easily. Giraffe bone is very dense, not sure how it compares to camel. It cant comment on camel shoulder bones and would rather only stick to the long front bones of a camel. Hind bones of a Giraffe will also work, not sure about camel.

Working with bone is a smelly business, be warned!!! Super glue is you friend and bond bones especially well, thus great for dealing with cracks. Be super patient when pinning and use washers. If you want thin scales use carbon fibre liners to reinforce the bone. Bone adds a lot of weight to a razors, but I like the balance.

Giraffe bone
23BAF209-8942-432C-A974-85FA6C30217A.jpeg

I have some experience with beef bone, but not camel. So take the following however you want. I would say the marrow will have to be removed from inside the leg bones by cutting the ends off and forcing the marrow out of the bone. Then continue with the prep as described by ajduplessis.

The shoulder blade might be difficult. As I have said, I have no experience with camel, but beef shoulder blades then to be very porous inside. It may be possible to make scales using the outer part of the bone and sanding away the less desirable inner. I'm not sure how thin they will end up.

I also strongly suggest using a mask to protect against bone dust and agree with the comments that working bone is a pungent undertaking.

If you will be using a dremel for shaping, the sound is the same as getting your teeth drilled at the dentist. I know some people find the sound distressing.

Good luck, hope it works out.

Get a brand new high quality blade for whatever you decide to go with. For the camel bone I liked the flying dutchman scroll saws the cut way better and leave a way smoother finish than any other I have tried.

I did not like the pre made one so I went with the camel bone slabs so I could do my own design. A good high quality blade is a very good investment IMO. I cut them and sanded them to .080 but next time will do .060. I like thin wedges and after hearing how brittle they are I decided to give the scales a small bow to relieve some stess. Worked very good in the end.
20190222_225605.jpg
DSC01095.JPG
DSC01111.JPG

Top Bottom