What's new

Le Touriste 1920s single edge razor + no name razor

I jst got theese two today and i know one of them is a le touriste 1920s single edge razor but cant find any info on it or the other one - i only know it should be from the early 1920s - can anyone provide some info on these razors???
IMG_20200527_192606.jpg
IMG_20200527_192649.jpg

The other one is supposedly a French made Fox razor not to be confused with the US branded Fox razor. I can't say for sure but when it comes up for sale on ebay.fr it is usually sold with a Fox wedge blade.

Last edited:
A GEM does have the holes needed to be put on the two posts on the head to hold it... this razor does not have blade stops either...

The other one is supposedly a French made Fox razor not to be confused with the US branded Fox razor. I can't say for sure but when it comes up for sale on ebay.fr it is usually sold with a Fox wedge blade.
I did buy it in france so maybe - can´t find anything on a french fox razor tho...

A GEM does have the holes needed to be put on the two posts on the head to hold it... this razor does not have blade stops either...

Doesn't matter on either as long as the original blade was about the same length from spine to edge. If those holes adjust then the tab should hold the blade and if not then you'd need to notch the blade. It might be more work than it is worth but it can be done. I've yet to meet a vintage razor that can't take anything modern through modification of the blade or razor. I doubt that razor is the first either.

Doesn't matter on either as long as the original blade was about the same length from spine to edge. If those holes adjust then the tab should hold the blade and if not then you'd need to notch the blade. It might be more work than it is worth but it can be done. I've yet to meet a vintage razor that can't take anything modern through modification of the blade or razor. I doubt that razor is the first either.
This is the blade that came with it - as you can see its no where near a wedge type blade...

Attachments

• IMG_20200529_192033.jpg
    IMG_20200529_192033.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 10
This is the blade that came with it - as you can see its no where near a wedge type blade...
Last one I saw was listed with a wedge blade. Either way a heavy duty hole punch or cut in notches on a gem blade from the despined back will fix that. Simplier is to let the blade sit on the threads instead and see if it will work.

Last one I saw was listed with a wedge blade. Either way a heavy duty hole punch or cut in notches on a gem blade from the despined back will fix that. Simplier is to let the blade sit on the threads instead and see if it will work.
i just tried to let the blade sit on the threads instead, no luck.. looks like all 4 of my new vintage razors will be dust collectors only 😢

Your unknown model will take wedge blades for sure, if you want to use a GEM blade try the adapter from Blade adapter (short) by riverrun - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2777434 The Le Tourist razor had two different versions, one with wedge blade and one with the blades you have. What are the dimensions of the blade you have? Maybe there are similar blades on the market. e. g. Bügelklinge – Apollo-Herkenrath - https://apollo-herkenrath.de/de/produkt/buegelklinge-3/
never seen those blades before but does not look like i can buy them...

Your unknown model will take wedge blades for sure, if you want to use a GEM blade try the adapter from Blade adapter (short) by riverrun - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2777434 The Le Tourist razor had two different versions, one with wedge blade and one with the blades you have. What are the dimensions of the blade you have? Maybe there are similar blades on the market. e. g. Bügelklinge – Apollo-Herkenrath - https://apollo-herkenrath.de/de/produkt/buegelklinge-3/
the blade is 3,8 mm long and 1,5 mm wide...

normal GEM Blades are 39 mm x 19, the Feather FHS-10 are 39 x 17. maybe you should despine a GEM blade and drill some holes into. Just take the old one as template

Top Bottom