What's new

What did you hone today?

King Pelican #14. Man, that steel is HARD...

And I am really starting to appreciate that little Shobu... when my two Nakayamas arent cutting the way I would like, this Shobu seems to work like a champ every time! <knock on wood>

proxy.php

I took everything I had for a spin the past 2 days- my fingertips are smooth and raw and tingling- but well worth the zen!

BUT: I got to use the mystery Chinese 15k finisher I just found for $30- figured I’d test it- the stone was like Buttuh!

Took this nowhere near shave ready no-edge and chips having razor I got for a dance on the stones over the past 2 days. Its a Soviet made “Yahta” razor, stainless- made in Vacha, Russia in 1967. Came in the original box-

I’ve never honed stainless......but holy cow!!! Finally got her sharp and ready for her first shave since the Cold War presumably tomorrow or Saturday- If it shaves well, I will name it “Natasha” 😂 If anyone recognizes these markings on the stone, I’d be curious to know the brand- it’s Chinese- and I know China doesn’t scream quality but this stone is quite the ambassador.

36ACE306-60BC-41E7-96C5-43A6D67B0102.jpeg
220A0BDF-D3AF-4E31-8AFC-AFEB2D3827B6.jpeg
5D26293E-5B56-4103-A828-843921C69C89.jpeg
284FBBEA-340B-4514-89F4-55374985A29A.jpeg
070F137C-E880-4F6C-B3EE-FD489B96ED1D.jpeg

Once again, the Nakayama's didn't cut on today's Kama... but the Shobu to the rescue! It is weird that the Nakayamas will cut some steel and not others.

Anyway... Kama 23. Thick scales like you wouldn't believe... And a worked spine. Assuming it was done by whoever did the shorty conversion, since I have not since a Kama with a decorative spine before.

proxy.php

85DCF206-F5F7-436C-A0B2-002693DF5179.jpeg

...And, figured as long as I had all the stuff I’d give the Hart 7/8 a workout on my LaVeinette. It’s sad that Hart razors kind of declined years back. This one is a circa 2010 or thereabouts. Back then these were a fine razor. I truly enjoy mine.

HOTD 5-31-20

Generic Wester Bros. "Blue Steel" for a German friend who wants to take up straight-razor shaving. 3k Suehiro to kill some chips and funny hone wear, generic coticule, followed by a Tony-Miller French-style, pasted paddle strop. Shaved with it this afternoon and the shave was quite good. HHT after subsequent stropping passed with flying colors. I hope he likes it.

HOTD-5-31-20.jpg

my first real attempt at honing since the king 1k arrived today.

the razor I brought back to life did not shave well.

20200601_203417.jpg

Hibbard Spencer Bartlett & Co. 5/8

progression i used with some learning along the way.

King 1K.....45 mins or so learning how to get my slurry moving equally on both side of the blade. right side had a minor toe issue.

3K Tatara.... somewhere around 15 mins until I saw and felt some changes.

8K Tatara..........about the same

12K Cnat 100 laps

12K Cnat 50 laps with Proraso tube cream ala Slash McCoy suggestion.

14K tile film holder that shouldn't work but does for me......50 laps

20 laps on the Miller linen.

40 laps on the Miller horsehide.

I would like to thank that youtube guy who has the Bevel setting 101 clip!!!!!!!

thanks to Slash for the cream trick.

and would like to thank you all for the help and suggestions!!!!!

I test shaved the right side......I knew immediately. had the wife blindly check both sides.....she immediately knew. (sanity check).

tonight I accomplished something I didnt think I'd ever be able to get right.....thank you all again. my hands are sore.......at one point my fingers were way wrinkled from all the water spraying......but im smiling!!!! wait till the Shapton 1.5 arrives!!!!

descaled this one too which I plan to bring back from the dead soon.

H.M. Darling.

20200601_203438.jpg

thanks all.......youre the best!!!!!

camo

View attachment 1108072

King 1K.....45 mins or so learning how to get my slurry moving equally on both side of the blade. right side had a minor toe issue.

12K Cnat 100 laps

I would like to thank that youtube guy who has the Bevel setting 101 clip!!!!!!!

I test shaved the right side......I knew immediately. had the wife blindly check both sides.....she immediately knew. (sanity check).

tonight I accomplished something I didnt think I'd ever be able to get right.....thank you all again. my hands are sore.......at one point my fingers were way wrinkled from all the water spraying......but im smiling!!!! wait till the Shapton 1.5 arrives!!!!

H.M. Darling.

View attachment 1108082

camo

forgot to mention. have tinnitus and half deaf from guns and rock n roll.......this razor is loud!!!!! first time I've heard one really sing.

camo

View attachment 1108072

12K Cnat 100 laps

H.M. Darling.

View attachment 1108082

camo

forgot to ask this question.

If i would have subbed in my extra fine black ark in place of the Chinese 12k.......

would I have seen much of a difference? I seriously contemplated this but went with the Cnat 12k.

thanks for thoughts on this.

camo

If i would have subbed in my extra fine black ark in place of the Chinese 12k.......

At a finishing level, the fact that they are natural stones and vary from stone to stone really matters. The answer to your question is maybe/maybe-not based on your individual stones honestly. Good thing is that you can go hone it on the ark and see if it improves over your cnat or if you move backwards.

Just as a side note, I was honing the King Pelican and Kama again (different stone this time... experimenting!), and had just got done the Tenjyou on both when I was distracted by a family issue. Both blades were left at the sink, and ready for their next rounds... but my distraction was SUCH that it lead to another distraction, and then it was dinner time, and then talk the dog for a walk time, etc... I thought to myself "Sure, I will get back to them tomorrow".

What I didn't realize was that I didn't dry them all the way before I left them... when I got back to them several hours later... no more than 4 hours... there was already rust all along the bevel of the Pelican, and in splotches on the Kama!

I never would have dreamed it would happen that fast... so let this be a lesson to you guys. DRY YOUR BLADES THOROUGHLY!

Top Bottom