What's new

Newbie Rabbit Hole question (asking for a friend, ha ha)

Couple a questions: 1) All you gents who collect razors and use several or more different razors; If you have say your best razor and blade combo (ie most comfortable, close, shaves with few nicks and cuts). Why not just stick with that one? 2) Are you collecting as a hobby or always looking for a better shave like a surfer looking for that perfect wave? 3) Or are you so adept in you shaving skills that no matter what razor you pick, you know that no matter which razor you pick, your shave will be a facile victory. 4) Do you typically shave with one razor for a week or month at a time? 5) Do you challenge yourself to see if you can get a razor that you bought that doesn't seem to shave well by changing up settings, blades, creams? Love that I found this site. You guys are really helpful, Thanks guys
:c9:
:shaving:

Last edited by a moderator:
Couple a questions: 1) All you gents who collect razors and use several or more different razors; If you have say your best razor and blade combo (ie most comfortable, close, shaves with few nicks and cuts). Why not just stick with that one? 2) Are you collecting as a hobby or always looking for a better shave like a surfer looking for that perfect wave? 3) Or are you so adept in you shaving skills that no matter what razor you pick, you know that no matter which razor you pick, your shave will be a facile victory. 4) Do you typically shave with one razor for a week or month at a time? 5) Do you challenge yourself to see if you can get a razor that you bought that doesn't seem to shave well by changing up settings, blades, creams? Love that I found this site. You guys are really helpful, Thanks guys
:c9:
:shaving:
For me, it's about exploration and variety. After being "stuck" with a bad shave for my entire life, finding this type of shaving was amazing to me. It opened up so much possibilities. I'm not even close to being finished exploring new products and choices. It's probably a combination of several things, too, hobby, journey-of-self-discovery, little bit pampering, obsession, and flat out fun. Getting more experienced just makes trying all these awesome thing even more enjoyable.

PS. I also love the camaraderie here on B&B!!

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s a challenge and building a skill set. Over simplifying this analogy, but it’s like wondering why a weightlifter has 5lb weights but wants 8lbs. Grows into needing more challenge and builds the strength and skills. Why not just lift the 5lb weights more instead of switching to 8lb... maybe this doesn’t make sense. But for me some gear that works well works better with use and makes me better. When I have improved I can return to gear that has been trickier and find I have become more proficient or maybe even mastered my technique with a price of gear or combo.

I notice it in my shaving. I have the gamechanger 68 which I liked from the get go as it was good and very comfortable, but not perfect in efficiency . I tried the 84out of curiosity. It shaved better,in reality it has a bigger sweet spot to compensate for poor skill with good efficiency. Poor technique using a razor that is efficient still left me with areas to improve upon. I would find that daily shaving was not cminjtially possible because I would irritate my skin trying to shave daily. So I worked on technique with the 84 to maximize my efficiency and minimize irritation. Eventually this was able to become my daily driver. I had nearly abandoned the 68 because I was doing so well with the 84.One day I switched things up and went back to the 68. Still as comfortable and gentle as I remembered but I was surprised to discover how efficient this razor had become. In reality the razor was the same but I came back to it with better technique and skill set and was able to get even more from this razor than thought possible.

Both these razors are nearly the same but I also find some blades that aren’t compatible for me with the 84 are actually tolerable in the 68 and yield good results. So that’s another reason to switch up gear. I only have one blade that is not great in the 68 and is awesome in the 84.

Sternej, if you ride motorcycles you would understand.
I think the joy I get from riding is very similar to the fun I have with shaving. I've taken up riding after turning 50 (took the safe rider course before my state required it) and love it, too. But I'm not a hot-dogger or speed demon; bought a used cruiser off a Craig's List ad, and prefer the 35-45mph range. And, for me, the various smells connect me to the area you're passing thru. It's like the scents of soaps, creams, and AS really add a lot to my shaving.

I do like variety....it's also a thrill shaving w different razors, blades, soaps brushes etc.
You will have some great days and some not so great. Thing is keeping an open mind. Probably at the beginning it's advisable to use one or two razors till you master them.
If you have the money to spare and time to invest ; it's a great adventure. I always recommend not overspending, specially if you have other monetary responsibilities (more so in tough economical times).
And always know there will be some buys that are more like wasted money as the item (s) don't work well for everyone.
It's a bit addictive, and so are multiple jobbies.
Carry on and keep shaving

It's all about the fun and the challenge. I feel that I've gotten to a place where I can get a great shave no matter the gear. DE, wedge SE, modern SE, shavette, straight with any grind or blade profile.

Some enjoy the challenge of mastering the nuances of a razor, or even all razors, but I'm happy with a great shave and don't need to pursue the gear mastery path.

So that leaves me in it for the fun. Some days I want to shave like my dad. Some days like my grandad. And others I want to shave like my great-grandad or even his father. So I have many razors, of many types, from many eras. Every day is just a bit different than every other day. Guess that aligns with the "variety" answer above.

Top Bottom