Votes: 88 76.5%
  • a Cream

Votes: 14 12.2%
  • Soap Stick

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Canned Soap

Votes: 4 3.5%

• Total voters
Ah, the absolute best and favorite part of my shave, the lather. I load my brush from the puck and build the lather on my face slowly adding more water into the brush as I go. Once finished I will have achieved a high density low structure lather that is shiny like my disposition and jammed full of water. Going thru the motion is incredibly relaxing for me.

Ah, the absolute best and favorite part of my shave, the lather. I load my brush from the puck and build the lather on my face slowly adding more water into the brush as I go. Once finished I will have achieved a high density low structure lather that is shiny like my disposition and jammed full of water. Going thru the motion is incredibly relaxing for me.

It sounds like you have your routine fine tuned.

Is that the soap equivalent of SPAM?

I think so. I use to use the canned stuff for years, then I sort of made shaving my hobby I stopped using it for about 8 years. So just for kicks I picked up a can and tried it again.
I couldn't believe how bad it was. It felt like plastic foam. I could never go back to the canned stuff.

I used to be a die-hard soap guy (stick or puck, didn't matter). More often than not these days, I use cream. Tastes change and someday I may find myself back with soaps or even canned foam. Who knows?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I used to be a die-hard soap guy (stick or puck, didn't matter). More often than not these days, I use cream. Tastes change and someday I may find myself back with soaps or even canned foam. Who knows?
Every so often I shave in the shower, and I found a can of "Foamy" in an out of the way clearance store that I bought. It's "Lime" scented! I have not seen one in forever in any stores near me; I think Gillette quit making it.

For years my Dad and I used bath bar soaps for shaving. Most tallow glycerin soaps work fine. It wasn't until recently that I started using shave soap. No matter which soap I used, the shaving brush has been my friend. I think its a shame that the brush is not more common. I believe that the canned foam is to blame.
I've never used lather from a can. I did use it to fill a pie pan and put it into the face of my best friend one time. He and I started skydiving together. We bet each other that the first one to reach 100 jumps wins. The bet was left open-ended. Meaning there was know winning prize. Well, he lost. The pie thing wasn't my idea. The person that came up with it was one of our new skydive friends. To make matters worse, he also had friends. So in all, there were five shaving cream pies to the face. :)
After that, I did start wondering if foam from a can was any good. But every time I started to get a can, I would remember that I still had my brush and "soap" at home. If you have used canned foam, would you recommend it?

To me canned foam feels like plastic foam. Once you use real soap you can never go back. At least that has been my experience. And I agree with you that the brush really makes shaving enjoyable.

To me canned foam feels like plastic foam. Once you use real soap you can never go back. At least that has been my experience. And I agree with you that the brush really makes shaving enjoyable.
What’s your opinion on canned gel? Same?

I have used Avenno Therapeutic Shave Gel and it works fine.

What’s your opinion on canned gel? Same?

I have used Avenno Therapeutic Shave Gel and it works fine.

I haven't used canned gel in about 8 years. Back then I thought it was okay but that was before I used all the good stuff on a regular basis. I got a feeling I would probably not like it either. Let's face it, you can't put real soap in a can.

Creams or a croap. My water is so hard it's sponsored by the Peaky Blinders.

Supply Zone: Hornsea 2008
Areas Covered: Atwick, Brandesburton, Bransholme, Bilton, Hempholme, Hornsea, Mappleton, Stoneferry, Tickton, Wawne
Report Period: 1st January 2018 - 31st December 2018
Water hardness type: Very hard
Water hardness average: 123.8mg/l calcium

Top Bottom