What's new

Ranking: The top 5 best shaving safety razors.

Of the razors I own, the DE’s with Lord Plats and the Schicks with Chicks, in descending order from best shave to next best, etc:
1. Schick E2
2. Lord L5
3. Gillette Slim on 9
4. Schick J
5. Schick G

Brother Quaz,

I'm a little surprised that a shaver would list a Schick E and a Gillette Slim on 9 which are very aggressive shaves, and in the same breath a Schick J which is somewhat of a mild shave. To your credit, you truly must be "an ambidextrous shaver" who can shave well and comfortably with most any safety razor. Care to share how you do that, with comfort and closeness?

D

dangerousrazor

Brother Quaz,

I'm a little surprised that a shaver would list a Schick E and a Gillette Slim on 9 which are very aggressive shaves, and in the same breath a Schick J which is somewhat of a mild shave. To your credit, you truly must be "an ambidextrous shaver" who can shave well and comfortably with most any safety razor. Care to share how you do that, with comfort and closeness?

I have Schick E2 and E3. I dont find them much more aggressive than G or its descendants. They are smooth and efficient razors for me.

Brother Quaz,

Dunno. Shaving seems pretty simple to me. I get BBS every time. I whip up a great lather w Irish Spring, Dove or (rarely) Williams w a very cheap VDH boar. I shave 1x WTG and 1x ATG. A little touch-up in a weird area on my right neck and I’m done. A splash of Aqua Velva and its on to my day. Keeping it simple is the key.

Dunno. Shaving seems pretty simple to me. I get BBS every time. I whip up a great lather w Irish Spring, Dove or (rarely) Williams w a very cheap VDH boar. I shave 1x WTG and 1x ATG. A little touch-up in a weird area on my right neck and I’m done. A splash of Aqua Velva and its on to my day. Keeping it simple is the key.
I love the simplicity of your regimen! Dove soap. Two passes. And Williams.

However, I bet you are a much younger guy than most of us. As we grow older our whiskers get tougher and our skins get thinner. I'm 83, so I speak from the arena of experience. :concern:

I own way too many razors, but for the past year or so I've used only two: Fatip Grande and Schone. If there are any other razors that shave as well as these, I've never tried them.

I own way too many razors, but for the past year or so I've used only two: Fatip Grande and Schone. If there are any other razors that shave as well as these, I've never tried them.

That‘s a quite strong endorsement. Can I ask what other modern DEs - particularly stainless steel models - that you‘ve tried? Game Changer, Timeless, Wolfman, Blackland, Karve, etc?

Most of the time its not the razor, but the prep. With a good prep you can get a very good shave most of the time. I mean most of the time and its YMMV of course.
For me , I can get a perfect shave from all most all of the vintage razors starting from tech and some of the new ones. Well I don't own that much modern razors.
But there are two exceptions .
1. PAA open com slant - blade shudders during the shave and the blade feel is not so good.
2. Fatip picolo- I don't know why Blade alignment is not very good and blade feel is not so comfy.
In both cases I may have received rotten eggs. :confused1

The double edge razors that give perfect shave are,
1. RR Wunderbar
2. Ikon stainless slant it looks like an earlier model.
3. Merkur HD 37
4. Merkur HD 39
Looks like I'm a slant junkie
5. Barbasol floating head.

But all others are also good still these are outstanding. :thumbup:

I love the simplicity of your regimen! Dove soap. Two passes. And Williams.

However, I bet you are a much younger guy than most of us. As we grow older our whiskers get tougher and our skins get thinner. I'm 83, so I speak from the arena of experience. :concern:
I’m 62, which seems plenty old to me. Frankly, I think a lot of the guys on B&B make a very simple thing much too complicated

Reactions: clk

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I am really terrible at making 'Top 5' lists. Every time I start, I end up with something like this:

1. Gillette Hybrid Tech (Hon. Mention: Ger. #34, Eng. Flat Bottom, Can./USA Pre- & Post-war, Eng. #24)
1. Personna "BBS-0"
1. Charcoal Goods Brass Level 2
1. Fatip-Joris-Schöne MK2
1. Gillette Old Type, Goodwill 175 & 160
1. Blackland Sabre Level 2 and Blackbird SB
1. Timeless Ti 0.68 SB, Scalloped Brass Cap
1. GEM Featherweight Deluxe
1. Karve Brass C-SB

Drives me (happily) crazy. ;) :letterk1:

Hi buddy

It is super difficult the find the ultimate razor in the universe, because it does not exist. So find a pretty good one and spend some time to master the technique instead.

1. Gamechanger 0,84 closed (Almost best in the universe 🤩)
2. Fatboy
3. Gillette Heritage (Just shoot me now, but I really like the razor)

Seeing as we are trying to keep this thread alive, I’ll contribute my little piece.

#1 Timeless Bronze TRBR38
#2 Timeless Aluminum ALSB45

The design of the Timeless Bronze/Aluminum head works great for my face. Smooth and close shaves with outstanding craftsmanship. These razors seem to work well for me with a wide variety of blades.

#3 EJ89

It was my first “good” razor so I fell in love with it and used it for 4 years every single day. (Finally broke it in year 9 after more than a thousand shaves.) A work horse that handled better than the “rider” deserved.

#4 34HD

A better shaver than #3 for me but it wasn’t my “first puppy love”. (Gave to nephew twin B)

#5 Merkur 1904 OC

solid razor, a little more finicky with blade choice. Really helped me learn less pressure and letting the razor do the work. (Gave to nephew twin A)

I could shave with any of these types of razors for the rest of my life and be extremely happy.

enjoy your Memorial Day weekend.

Tim

1. Timeless 95 SB
2. Blackbird SB

I sold my entire den and only kept these 2., they are too good. But have a wolfman WR2 incoming i the next few week, but will be really hard to dethrone any of these 2.

1. Timeless 95 SB
2. Blackbird SB

I sold my entire den and only kept these 2., they are too good. But have a wolfman WR2 incoming i the next few week, but will be really hard to dethrone any of these 2.
I’m guessing the Blackbird is more efficient and the Timeless is smoother?

Top Bottom