What's new

Do You Fly the Flag?

I respect people who fly the flag, regardless of motivation. So long as they respect the rules governing same, fill your boots.

I won’t get into too much detail here to avoid politics as much as possible because I know my personal view is likely different than many.

I’ll simply say my theology and personal experiences makes me hesitant at overt displays of patriotism (though that doesn’t mean I’m not patriotic personally).

But seeing violations of the flag code does stress me out when I see them.

Yes, my wife and I both support flying the flag. We refurbished the flagpole in the yard some time ago, and we fly the flag to honor those who have given and sacrificed so much for this country. We also fly the flag to honor our parents and grandparent, and dearly departed friends that believed in this country deeply, were proud of it, and did their part to personify the best of America. Flying the flag humbles us, reminds us that we stand on the shoulders of giants, and helps us to stay grateful, grounded and well-intentioned. On behalf of my wife and myself, I express heartfelt thanks on this Memorial Day to all who have served this nation. Stay well all.

I do break protocol by flying the flag in the rain.
I figure... if our service members don't take a day off for the weather, why should Old Glory?

US Flag Code specifies not to fly it in the rain? Really? I did not know that, and find it surprising. I am of similar mind to you on the matter.

I fly the flag 24/7. My native american neighbor doesn't like it though. He says we exterminated his people and stole their land. Oh well.

I do not fly a flag . Because I don't have the time to do it correctly once I retire I plan to put up a pole . Light it and fly a inclement weather rated flag . For those who are not in the U.S. , the flag is flown not as a piece of fabric. But as a symbol of sacrifice of the men and women who have fought and bled and many times died for our freedoms. The United states is never been perfect but our people strive to always move towards being better weather it be wars or internal battles like the civil rights movement. There are always been Americans who are willing to bleed and die to make our country and world a better place. Those people are what our flag represents

Nope. I’m happy to see them out, but I celebrate my freedom in other ways. Today is a motorcycle ride. 🙂🏁🇺🇸🏳️‍🌈

I have a healthy respect for this country. My father was Navy, then a cop, and my stepdad who raised me was Army. This country has been good to my family.

I fly a flag almost every day of the year. I dont really get the logic of only flying it on certain days but hey, whatever floats your boat.

I fly a flag almost every day of the year. I dont really get the logic of only flying it on certain days but hey, whatever floats your boat.
Public buildings and many private homes fly the flag everyday, but I personally reserve flying the flag at my house for special days of remembrance, each of which gives me pause to reflect and remember. My family has served in every major US war since the American Revolution. I served in combat in Vietnam, returning home unscathed, and especially think today about the ultimate sacrifice made by those who died.

My favorite patriotic song is still the Star Spangled Banner. The best rendition in a sports event is #1 Whitney Houston, #2 Renee Fleming, #3 Van Cliburn ( each of these is available for viewing on youtube) I will call my 94-year old mother today, who is in an Adult Family Home on CV19 lockdown, and play the Star Spangled Banner on piano.

Public buildings and many private homes fly the flag everyday, but I personally reserve flying the flag at my house for special days of remembrance, each of which gives me pause to reflect and remember. My family has served in every major US war since the American Revolution. I served in combat in Vietnam, returning home unscathed, and especially think today about the ultimate sacrifice made by those who died.

My favorite patriotic song is still the Star Spangled Banner. The best rendition in a sports event is #1 Whitney Houston, #2 Renee Fleming, #3 Van Cliburn ( each of these is available for viewing on youtube) I will call my 94-year old mother today, who is in an Adult Family Home on CV19 lockdown, and play the Star Spangled Banner on piano.
Hey, I respect that. You do you. Me, I choose to fly the flag every day because there isnt a day to not love your country and appreciate things that many of us take for granted.

Ours flies all day everyday

5B1E1F86-613B-477D-AED2-8F07CCD918D1.jpeg

Yes, I fly the Flag on most holidays.

This is part of the Flag Protocol.

The flag is a symbol of respect, honor, and patriotism. It may be displayed on any day of the year according to the following guidelines:

• The flag should not be displayed on days when the weather is inclement.
  • The custom is to display the flag only from sunrise to sunset on flagstaffs in the open, but it may be displayed at night—if illuminated—to produce a patriotic effect.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
It’s my understanding of you have a “weather proof” flag it can be displayed in the rain. If you have it lit it can be displayed at night. You can burn the flag to dispose of it while reciting the Pledge of Allegiance

Top Bottom