What's new

Should i change scales or keep original

Last week I got a j r torrey razor with barbers notch. I'm now debating on if I'm going to keep the original scales on it, or change to a spare set of rosewood scales I have. The scales I have now are a hard rubber. From what I understand they are ebonite. So original or not is the question. Any advice is appreciated.

Here's a pic of razor and possible scales to replace
15903731238779223113284464954592.jpg

Those rosewood scales look good and would be a nice improvement in the looks category. I wouldn’t worry much about originality, but I would go with the prettier scales.

I guess I'll probably make it happen. Never done it before so gonna research a bit more to make sure I do it right. I want to try saving the originals if I can.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I will be doing similar soon. I have a badly cracked SR with some scales that I like. I need the learn how to remove the blade, save the scales, and fit a new blade.

It is whichever makes you happiest. I like the historical feeling of an unchanged razor, I also like to learn new skills and use something I made or restored or customized myself.

With rescaling, even if your first project doesn’t please you, you can learn from that and do it again. And if you get the originals off in good shape, you can completely clean and polish them and reuse them later.

Yeah that's the goal, to keep the scales undamaged. Hopefully will be able to accomplish. I've been watching a bunch of videos and reading up on it.

If you intent to keep the razor and never selling it, make it pretty. If you think of selling the razor keep it original, as you will not get your money back on the scales IME. The bottom 3 razors I knew I would keep, so I made them for me.
A36E7A80-716A-4836-A85A-30929D33621D.jpeg

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I like my razors to be properly dressed and have no problem with updating scales. I’m not building a historical collection. I just do what pleases me.
0E02FB93-A5BD-4A94-A471-82575F686785.jpeg

Rescaling complete. I just have to hammer it a bit more to try centering. It goes off a little to one side when closing. Not too shabby for a first attempt. Unfortunately I was not able to save the original scales.
1590547339158468040649822430532.jpg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Be careful when hammering. Depending on how the steel was heat treated, it could be rather brittle.

Be careful when hammering. Depending on how the steel was heat treated, it could be rather brittle.
BS at best.... I have never seen or heard of razors breaking when pinning. Dropping them or severe abuse is another matter. The most to fear when pinning is damaging the scales, unless you are using Thor’s hammer with overhand hits.

Thanks. I might eventually polish it more, but for now I decided to keep the (patina) for the character of the razor.

Top Bottom