What's new

Do You Fly the Flag?

For those living in the U.S., today is Memorial Day. Do you fly a flag on Memorial Day? I fly a flag on all designated days of the year--Memorial Day, Veterans Day, July 4th, etc. I notice nowadays that some houses fly flags year round. I'm a veteran myself feel more strongly about showing the flag than others may.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Having visited the US many times I was surprised at how I admired the patriotism and displays of the national flag. In the UK displays of the Union Jack are often considered a little eccentric or even unpleasantly nationalistic which is a pity. Some of the pride that was once held for the UK has been lost somewhere along the way, I am not sure why. Good for you for proudly flying your Flag 👍

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yes. Today it will be an American-made 48-star WWII-era flag, but occasionally I fly the flag I got from the USS Arizona Memorial in Hawaii. They sell - really it's a donation - the flag that flies over it, the next day.

AA

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
Yes! 24/7 here as well. A flag was one of the first things I put up last year when I purchased my new house.

A3508531-BD9C-4ED7-A1D9-43F91600534E.jpeg

Our flag has been flying 24/7 for years and is lit at night. We do take it for granted here in the US as @EclipseRedRing alluded to, this flying of the flag. For instance, in Germany I understand it is seldom seen and this is true in many other countries - just not done. I have neighbors who installed flag poles in their front yard and that is not seen as unusual.

Last edited:
I proudly put out my flag at the crack of dawn this morning. I have had many friends and relatives that have fought for this country and my right to to fly it.

USA! USA! USA!

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Our flag has been flying 24/7 for years and is lit at night. We do take it for granted here in the US as @EclipseRedRing alluded to, this flying the flag. For instance, in Germany I understand it is seldom seen and this is true in many other countries - just not done. I have neighbors who installed flag poles in their front yard and that is not seen as odd or anything.

I'm wary that this discussion could fall foul of the "no politics" rule that keeps the whole forum a pleasant place to be. So if this is going too far, tell me to wind my neck back in.

I'm a Brit with very little experience of America, but one of the interesting points of view I read recently is that The Flag means more to Americans than to many other nations. This was ascribed to wanting to find a concrete focus for the rather abstract concept behind the foundation of America - the attempt to create an ideal society. You don't see this in many other nations, which define themselves by linguistic, ethnic or historical bonds.

One point that was made in support of this idea is that the American national anthem is about the flag, again drawing attention to the flag as the concrete representation of what makes America. I'd be interested in your opinions on this.

For Britain in particular there may be a reticence to be too enthusiastic about the Union flag, which is known to be a symbol of subjugation for some. A not insignificant portion of the Scottish have recently expressed dissatisfaction at the Union, and past problems in Northern Ireland are well documented. In this way, the flag is not the uniting symbol that it is for Americans.

Our flag has been up all weekend. In my small subdivision we have 4 houses in a row with the flag out. The rest of the houses - not so much.

I'm wary that this discussion could fall foul of the "no politics" rule that keeps the whole forum a pleasant place to be. So if this is going too far, tell me to wind my neck back in.

I'm a Brit with very little experience of America, but one of the interesting points of view I read recently is that The Flag means more to Americans than to many other nations. This was ascribed to wanting to find a concrete focus for the rather abstract concept behind the foundation of America - the attempt to create an ideal society. You don't see this in many other nations, which define themselves by linguistic, ethnic or historical bonds.

One point that was made in support of this idea is that the American national anthem is about the flag, again drawing attention to the flag as the concrete representation of what makes America. I'd be interested in your opinions on this.

For Britain in particular there may be a reticence to be too enthusiastic about the Union flag, which is known to be a symbol of subjugation for some. A not insignificant portion of the Scottish have recently expressed dissatisfaction at the Union, and past problems in Northern Ireland are well documented. In this way, the flag is not the uniting symbol that it is for Americans.
You did say you wanted opinions and I don’t want to be booted off of B&B, so here goes...

You’ve got to be kidding me!

I think you don't see this very often in many other nations. It is very uncommon in Europe. In the US, from what I see, people either fly flags year round or they don't at all.

Yes. Today it will be an American-made 48-star WWII-era flag, but occasionally I fly the flag I got from the USS Arizona Memorial in Hawaii. They sell - really it's a donation - the flag that flies over it, the next day.

AA

On Parliament Hill in Ottawa, a Canadian Flag is flown from the Peace Tower. It is a new flag each day, and Canadians can request a flag which has flown above the Tower be mailed to them. I thought briefly about doing so, until I was informed that the waiting list is more than 20 years long.

I respect people who fly the flag, regardless of motivation. So long as they respect the rules governing same, fill your boots.

Top Bottom