What's new

Tony Miller Strop 3" Vanilla maintenance & care

I recently purchased a 3" Plain Vanilla from Heirloom Razor Strop Co!
I have decided to not add any compound to the linen/cloth, but I was wondering if people use conditioners or other oils on their strops?

It doesn't have to be a Tony strop, let's hear from everyone about what they do in terms of maintenance/care.
TIA and take care all!

Here is my maintenance: At the end of the day before bed, about every four months or so, I rub my forehead and nose on it. Occasionally greasy hair, as well, and then rub the oils in with my palm.

About every month or so, I also will rub my plain old palm up and down the leather... no oils but the ones from my hand.

I bet I look funny wiping my nose and forehead on the strop, but hey... natural oils, and it does the job!

:laugh:

that was what I was thinking. Just a good rub down before a stropping, no need for added conditioners. I was just seeing if anyone was a dedicated conditioner or added anything to their strop my maintenance purposes.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I have always been a "less is more" kind of guy and typically advice using nothing on any strop, not just mine. That said though, with experience and extreme moderation some have used small amounts of Neats Foot Oil by applying to the hand first then transferring the slightest of films to the leather. Maybe if in a dry climate this would be needed but I have never needed to do any of mine.

I said for those with experience, meaning over time one may get the feeling the leather is too dry or something and may need a little refresh but just slapping oils on leather because one wants to make it better......well, may not make it better.

One of the few product returns I ever got in 15 years was a strop the fellow said just did not feel good to him and was sticky feeling. He swore he did nothing to it, just did not like it. What I got back was dark colored and looked like it was dressed with motor oil :confused1

I say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"......but, if you have done this a while and have a sense for good leather care use what you know works as we each have our own approach, and neither is right or wrong.

I have always been a "less is more" kind of guy and typically advice using nothing on any strop, not just mine. That said though, with experience and extreme moderation some have used small amounts of Neats Foot Oil by applying to the hand first then transferring the slightest of films to the leather. Maybe if in a dry climate this would be needed but I have never needed to do any of mine.

I said for those with experience, meaning over time one may get the feeling the leather is too dry or something and may need a little refresh but just slapping oils on leather because one wants to make it better......well, may not make it better.

One of the few product returns I ever got in 15 years was a strop the fellow said just did not feel good to him and was sticky feeling. He swore he did nothing to it, just did not like it. What I got back was dark colored and looked like it was dressed with motor oil :confused1

I say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"......but, if you have done this a while and have a sense for good leather care use what you know works as we each have our own approach, and neither is right or wrong.
Thanks so much Mr. Miller and thanks for the lovely strop!

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Naomi San (Kanoyama) and Takeshi also recommend using no oil on Kanoyama cordovan.

Here’s my 8 year old Kanoyama 80000, never had ANYTHING put on it and I stopped hand rubbing it because it just made it dirty. Stropping on salty skin oil is not appealing to me. I rub it with a dry cotton washcloth a couple of times a year, and it’s polished like a mirror.

I don’t get it. Why does a strop need any oil, wax, or fat in between the steel and leather? IMO, the only thing that your strops need to be protected from is you. That’s why I never buy used strops anymore.

112182BF-7ECA-4A12-8334-E6B7558B8C18.jpeg

Last edited:
I have two from Tony Miller, the only ones I use. I rubbed my hand on the first one a couple times. It felt nice, but I couldn’t imagine it improving the strop, so I stopped. I don’t even touch them with a razor now, unless I’ve cleaned/warmed/dried the edge on the cotton or linen first.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I've got 7 leather strops (and another 10 on order). With my current stropping technique, they are an expendable item.

My only strop maintenance is to give a strop a couple of wipes with the underside of my forearm before each use. This removes dust and applies a little bit of my salty skin oil.

If it's good enough for my skin, it's good enough for calf skin.

Seems to work well for me.

I give my strops a few rubs with dry hands every few uses. Been doing that for five years for the 6 years before that, didn’t do anything. Oil is for restoring a neglected strop. Use it when the strop needs it. Which for a strop kept in a reasonable manner is more than a decade out.

I realize this thread is slightly dated, but certainly still applicable……I would advise all to follow Mr. Miller’s advice noted above.

I like to kiss 💋 my DD strop before every use. My lip balm seems to add a special kind of touch to the edge. I agree no salty hand or forehead sweat 😓 on my strop.
Hey there Possum I have a question…..I recently muted the toe on a straight of mine by gently drawing the tip down the edge of my water stone. Will the tip now pose a threat to my strop next time I use it???? Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom