What's new

The "best" hair clippers for home/DIY use? Andis vs. Wahl vs Oster

I'm still using my Oster Crewmaster, which is basically a two-speed 76 with a 12ft power cord. Sure comes in handy during the lockdown.

I buzz my almost bald head with the Crewmaster with #1 blade and fade the sides around the ears with a Wahl consumer trimmer. I wonder if I should I get a Fast feed or T finisher to do the sides?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
After using Babyliss cordless clippers every two weeks for four years they finally gave up on me. Thanks to the recommendations on B&B I have now gone corded and opted for the Wahl Legend as the Senior cordless no longer seem to be available, at least not here in the UK. I am super impressed so far with the Wahl, they are certainly better made than the Babyliss although much heavier, and the power difference is noticeable. I have a feeling these will last for many years.
wahl.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
After using Babyliss cordless clippers every two weeks for four years they finally gave up on me. Thanks to the recommendations on B&B I have now gone corded and opted for the Wahl Legend as the Senior cordless no longer seem to be available, at least not here in the UK. I am super impressed so far with the Wahl, they are certainly better made than the Babyliss although much heavier, and the power difference is noticeable. I have a feeling these will last for many years.
View attachment 1128434
Good gear. Just keep them brushed and oiled and they'll last forever.

I used the Wahl 5-Star Seniors yesterday for another home haircut. I think those clippers will outlast me.

Weather forecast is for a high today of 97 F.
😅

I haven’t used Andis, but have currently have a pair of Oster Outlaws (still avail on ebay) and a Wahl Magic Clip. Definitely more power in the Osters, but have to change blades if youre using more than one length. The Magic clips are powerful enough, adjustable, and cordless (I can get 2-3 cuts of a charge). Find myself going for the Wahls more often. For non-commercial use, i dont think any brand woukd be a bad choice-just dont go to the very bottom of the price range.

I use Oster Fast feeds. Just replaced the blades after almost 20 years. Clippers have paid for themselves at least 20 times over so far. I got new Oster metal blades then decided to try the Andis ceramic "upgrade"(total cost for both blades was under 30 dollars). So I still have a new metal cutting blade in reserve. The new adjustable metal guard piece and the new ceramic blade together made a huge difference....clippers hum, are quiet and cut better than when they were new out of the box. Don't know about longevity yet but I'm really happy with the Fastfeeds and the recent blade replacement.

The Andis Ceramic blade for the Oster Fastfeed is Andis CeramicEdge Coarse Cutter #64440 as people talk about the upgrade on youtube but no seems to give the exact part number and then they do a link to a ceramic blade that sells for 3 times as much as the Andis blade actually costs e-tail.

When replacing the blades make sure to use blade wash or similar to remove the preservative from the new blades out of packaging then lubing the blades with proper oil.

I got a Fast Feed a couple of years ago. I got tired of replacing Wahls and con-air junk. They are quality.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I bought a Wahl made in USA set at Fleetfarm that came in a nice hard plastic case. $49 I think and they are very good.

FarmerTan

If I can find a pair I bought at a garage sale I will post a picture. Lol, probably used on Fido, and I never used it on a client, but did for trimming my hair and beard for awhile back in the day.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I haven’t used Andis, but have currently have a pair of Oster Outlaws (still avail on ebay) and a Wahl Magic Clip. Definitely more power in the Osters, but have to change blades if youre using more than one length. The Magic clips are powerful enough, adjustable, and cordless (I can get 2-3 cuts of a charge). Find myself going for the Wahls more often. For non-commercial use, i dont think any brand woukd be a bad choice-just dont go to the very bottom of the price range.

I was curious, now that you have owned your Magic Clip's for several years now, how do you find the battery holding up? Have you had to replace the battery yet, or are you still using the original battery in it? The great thing about the Magic Clip's, is if the battery should get tired on it, it can easily be replaced. You just have to be careful about which battery you buy, only reputable ones that can last.

Another question Jayboz, which guide combs do you use with the Magic Clip's? Do you do any fades with it, or do you simply do buzzcuts?

Havent had to replace battery yet. Still holding charge well. Thanks for info re replacement.

The all plastic combs that come with it are ok, but I bought the ones with the addtl metal insert in a few sizes (1/16, 1/8) that keeps it more rigid. I have done some fading, but mostly just buzz cuts.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Glad to hear that your battery is still going strong after all this time. Just goes to show its durability is good, which I am happy to hear.

Yep, I felt the same way about the plastic guides, I just felt they were kind of cheap, and not what you'd expect to come, with a premium clipper. While they most certainly did the job on my beard, I really didn't think they would hold up to extended use. I also didn't like how they could easily flex at the ends of them, I just got the feeling that the guides might snap one day if I continued to use them.

Which is the reason why I paid a lot of money to purchase the full 8-pack of premium guide combs with the metal clips, from Wahl's website. I actually watched several Youtube video's on the premium guides, and I was impressed with their quality, they seem to be much better. Plus that snap sound when installed, is deeply satisfying lol. Metal for the win hehe.

BTW, I assume you are using the taper lever along with those guide combs, it really makes a difference, more then you would expect. Good luck on your fades! 😎

i would like to try out the oster one day

im currently using kemei its a chinese knock off of wahl, andis etc,
its actually really good especially at the price point its defo value for money

check out the barbers reviews of the kemei products, they seem to rate them highly at a fraction of the cost of wahl, andis etc

I never had any issues with the all plastic guards breaking, but they do seem to develop a bow in them. The metal ones seems to eliminate this. I think the magic clips will last you quite awhile with personal use only. Enjoy.

...Yep, I felt the same way about the plastic guides, I just felt they were kind of cheap, and not what you'd expect to come, with a premium clipper. While they most certainly did the job on my beard, I really didn't think they would hold up to extended use. I also didn't like how they could easily flex at the ends of them, I just got the feeling that the guides might snap one day if I continued to use them.

Which is the reason why I paid a lot of money to purchase the full 8-pack of premium guide combs with the metal clips, from Wahl's website...
A lot of barbers seem OK with the regular plastic guide combs because they are color coded and inexpensive to replace. The main problem with them is that the smaller numbered ones are prone to coming off in the middle of the haircut. Gouging out a section of the customer's hair is not a good look. There are ways to fix that problem, though.

The premium guide combs are expensive for what they are, but at least they are very secure and look a bit nicer.

FarmerTan

A lot of barbers seem OK with the regular plastic guide combs because they are color coded and inexpensive to replace. The main problem with them is that the smaller numbered ones are prone to coming off in the middle of the haircut. Gouging out a section of the customer's hair is not a good look. There are ways to fix that problem, though.

The premium guide combs are expensive for what they are, but at least they are very secure and look a bit nicer.
So Barber's still use these? Sad.

The difference between Technicians and Artists I suppose.

BUT.....they probably save time for some folks. I just can't imagine how you can learn to read a client's growth pattern as with lifting the hair with a comb you can see the follicles, swirl patterns, cowlicks, etc.

Lol, "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Hello NorthernSoul!

I hear ya about the guide combs coming off from the clipper, and giving the client a bad hair day, and I agree, that would be very very bad. I just wanted to make a quick correction, that the Magic Clip kit that I got, doesn't come with the color coded guide combs.

Wahl Magic Clip 08148
Magic Clip 08148.jpg

Hello NorthernSoul!

I hear ya about the guide combs coming off from the clipper, and giving the client a bad hair day, and I agree, that would be very very bad. I just wanted to make a quick correction, that the Magic Clip kit that I got, doesn't come with the color coded guide combs.

Wahl Magic Clip 08148
View attachment 1421541
They look like the same design, just not color coded. Pretty sure you'll be a lot better off with the premium ones.

My clipper is the Wahl 5-Star Senior model. I actually got the full set of premium guide combs with the right and left ear taper combs (12 guides in all) from an Ebay seller. They came standard on another clipper. It was cheaper to get them this way, believe it or not.

1646854706624.png
1646854273543.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom