What's new

Nicks Builder Pro Boots Break-in Log

Oldsaw...

How's the comfort and wear and tear on the body for you?

I've had back issues on and off and one thing that's absolute joy when it comes to wearing my Nicks is how much better my back feels. The high arch, high heel design promotes better weight distribution and posture. I can't go back to a service heel boot now.

It's been very cool reading through your posts about breaking in these beautiful boots. I'm sorry to be late offering this as a suggestion, but you mentioned "hot spots" earlier. When I break in a pair of boots or shoes, I always make sure that I have a new package of moleskin. I trim the moleskin and put it on my feet on the spots where I know that new boots will rub, or where I know that I get blisters or sore spots. Keep those spots padded in advance and you'll have a much happier time breaking in those boots.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Oldsaw...

How's the comfort and wear and tear on the body for you?

I've had back issues on and off and one thing that's absolute joy when it comes to wearing my Nicks is how much better my back feels. The high arch, high heel design promotes better weight distribution and posture. I can't go back to a service heel boot now.

Long after the initial break in I find myself in the same position. When I wear most of my other shoes or boots now I feel more fatigue. Sometimes I wonder if I should just wear the Nicks instead of dress/casual shoes when I’m not working.

Wouldn't it be great if Nicks made custom shoes too? They do make cowboy boots though, and in Texas, that is their regular everyday footwear.

Wouldn't it be great if Nicks made custom shoes too? They do make cowboy boots though, and in Texas, that is their regular everyday footwear.

They do make shoes but they are a little funky looking.

So I talked to my wife about this and wouldn't you know it.. women have known this all along... that a higher heel, not stilettos, just a reasonable height... provides better weight balance and back support. That's why just about all of her shoes have a moderate heel to them. Even her casual shoes she buys them with a bit of a heel... Sneakers she looks for the wedge sole.
The cowboy boot guys have known this. Shame I discovered it so late in life.

They do make shoes but they are a little funky looking.

So I talked to my wife about this and wouldn't you know it.. women have known this all along... that a higher heel, not stilettos, just a reasonable height... provides better weight balance and back support. That's why just about all of her shoes have a moderate heel to them. Even her casual shoes she buys them with a bit of a heel... Sneakers she looks for the wedge sole.
The cowboy boot guys have known this. Shame I discovered it so late in life.

That really still looks like a boot. Just a very short one.

Since my self appointed work uniform is a pair of Duluth Trading Company Firehose pants, I decided to get the walnut brown to go with that look. Also got the Honey Vibram sole and composite toe.

I am a self employed flatbed truck driver and need good work boots with safety toes. I frequently load in rough, dirty, muddy environments. I have been lusting after a pair of Nicks for years. The straw that broke the camel’s back was my most recent purchase of Danner boots that are incredibly and horrifically stinky as well as not even lasting six months before the sole cracked.

The whole fit process was an obstacle that also held me back. Finally I had my wife help me do all the measurements and sent it in. They sent me a try on pair. Then I submitted the fit feedback form. After that a representative called me to confirm the fit results. Finally, the boots arrived this week. All in all, it was almost a two month process from start to finish.

I have never had a pair of stock boots fit me properly, including a couple pairs of Foot-So-Port boots that I had about thirty years ago (they were great fitting in the foot but the uppers didn’t fit my skinny shins very well). So Nicks made me a pair with custom uppers that don’t overlap when I lace them up. That was a $75 option that I am very thankful for.

I prefer the look of smooth leather, but opted for the rough out style after noticing that my work gloves with rough out finish were outlasting my smooth gloves by at least 4:1. I go through a lot of gloves winding up four inch nylon straps.

I’ll close this post here and subsequent posts will be about the break-in period.

Thanks for reading.

Edit: Added extra information in first paragraph.
Are they in fact the walnut color? Because to my eye they look like the chocolate version, they look stunning! I’m planning on getting my own here soon so I just wanted to make sure I got the correct color

Those boots are beauties! Regarding breakin I think that a lot of factors come into play. I broke in a pair of Redwing Beckmans a couple of years ago and it was brutal. About 100 miles before they really felt comfortable. Now they fit like a glove. The Featherstone leather is thick and very tough and takes a long time to conform. Last winter I broke in a pair of shell cordovan Whites bounty hunters. A much heavier boot. Within a few miles they were practically broken in. Butter soft leather made a big difference even though the sole is like a piece of rock.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Are they in fact the walnut color? Because to my eye they look like the chocolate version, they look stunning! I’m planning on getting my own here soon so I just wanted to make sure I got the correct color

Yes, they are walnut. They are much darker now because of the Obenaufs. Plus, my photography might not be studio quality.

I was just planning to update this thread, now that I’m about a year in. Also I just ordered a second pair (Hotshot in black) so I can have them well broken in before I send the Builder Pros in for new soles.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
It’s been about a year now since the Nicks Builder Pro boots landed on my doorstep. I washed & oiled them recently and decided that I should get them resoled in the next few months. So I ordered a new pair (Hotshot in black) in order to have them broken in by the time I send these off.

I don’t “need” another pair, but I can’t bear to be without the safety and comfort of Nicks while they’re in the shop.

Before cleaning.
B3BE35A5-FDB8-412F-8051-ED2D66C07FDF.jpeg
B3737281-5C8B-468E-A8C3-9CDC139B8947.jpeg
4D1D59F8-DDA4-4E30-AC00-2ABC88249A12.jpeg

A look underneath.
2B1F6F26-05EC-4024-9025-291F70A90DF9.jpeg

After cleaning and before oiling. They really didn’t need much oil, so I only oiled the vamp, heel, and welt.
5CE03E13-F612-4BC5-9588-EA9EA314E25A.jpeg

It’s been about a year now since the Nicks Builder Pro boots landed on my doorstep. I washed & oiled them recently and decided that I should get them resoled in the next few months. So I ordered a new pair (Hotshot in black) in order to have them broken in by the time I send these off.

I don’t “need” another pair, but I can’t bear to be without the safety and comfort of Nicks while they’re in the shop.

Before cleaning.
View attachment 1100641
View attachment 1100638
View attachment 1100639

A look underneath.
View attachment 1100640

After cleaning and before oiling. They really didn’t need much oil, so I only oiled the vamp, heel, and welt.
View attachment 1100642
Nice to see your report that your boots are providing good service.

...but are those galvanized screws in the sole? What is that about?

Before cleaning.
View attachment 1100641
View attachment 1100638
View attachment 1100639

A look underneath.
View attachment 1100640

View attachment 1100642

Am I missing something here? You say you had these boots for about a year and you are already thinking they need to be resoled soon??? Unless you are incredibly hard on these boot I would think that the soles on a nearly $500 pair of boots should last longer. In fact, even if you are hard on the boots they should be worn but not worn out if they are made using superior materials (as their price tag would suggest).

Tim

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Am I missing something here? You say you had these boots for about a year and you are already thinking they need to be resoled soon??? Unless you are incredibly hard on these boot I would think that the soles on a nearly $500 pair of boots should last longer. In fact, even if you are hard on the boots they should be worn but not worn out if they are made using superior materials (as their price tag would suggest).

Tim

I ordered the softest sole knowing in advance that they wouldn’t last as long as the more durable Hotshot series.

I like having two pairs of boots to alternate every other day. I’m sure I could get by longer, but I want the second pair fully broken in before sending the first pair for new soles. I will probably never need another pair of work boots for the rest of my life after this.

I ordered the softest sole knowing in advance that they wouldn’t last as long as the more durable Hotshot series.

I like having two pairs of boots to alternate every other day. I’m sure I could get by longer, but I want the second pair fully broken in before sending the first pair for new soles. I will probably never need another pair of work boots for the rest of my life after this.

Thanks for the explanation. I am still learning about boots in general and work boots specifically. I did not know that there are softer and harder soles, kind of like the soft vs. hard rubber tires on an automobile.

Tim

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Thanks for the explanation. I am still learning about boots in general and work boots specifically. I did not know that there are softer and harder soles, kind of like the soft vs. hard rubber tires on an automobile.

Tim

If you order a pair of Nicks and request the honey Vibram sole, they will probably try to talk you out of it. My next pair with the Hotshot red X sole should be here in a few weeks and then I can compare the two for traction, but it will probably be years before I need resoleing.

Top Bottom