What's new

What line of work are you in?

Tanuki
Many long years ago I was a brakeman in the Proviso Yards one winter. Froze my tail off. Much better to get cooked in August.

Hats off to you doing the long haul

I renovated the 294 bridge over that, is Proviso yards under 294 just west of Mannheim. Known as mile long bridge, between Addison and Belmont?
If I could I’d definitely take off work during those months. Brutally cold or blazing hot, they are both just a son of a b. to work in.

That would be Proviso, all right. Chicago & North Western in my day. I felt lucky getting out of there in one piece. No radio for the likes of me, hand and lantern signals to know what was going on. Crew activity was not always well coordinated.

Retired pilot. 24 years active duty USAF. Flew helicopters for 7 years (HH-1H and HH-3E) before a fixed wing conversion. Then flew the C-141B, C-12C/D and the E-3 (see photo at left).

Flew for a major regional airline for two years (Saab 340 and ATR-72) but was recalled to active duty. I returned to the Air Force and flew the E-3 for three more years. Went back to the regional airline and completed my career on the EMB-145. I retired the day my lifetime travel benefits locked in.

I miss my friends at work but do not miss the job at all. Once I retired, I was able to go off my blood pressure medication.

I have spent most of my life trying to figure out ways not to work. I "officially retired" when I was 35.

I have been a web hosting provider since 2001.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Retired pilot. 24 years active duty USAF. Flew helicopters for 7 years (HH-1H and HH-3E) before a fixed wing conversion. Then flew the C-141B, C-12C/D and the E-3 (see photo at left).

Flew for a major regional airline for two years (Saab 340 and ATR-72) but was recalled to active duty. I returned to the Air Force and flew the E-3 for three more years. Went back to the regional airline and completed my career on the EMB-145. I retired the day my lifetime travel benefits locked in.

I miss my friends at work but do not miss the job at all. Once I retired, I was able to go off my blood pressure medication.
We have an EMB145 sim at work- I hate that plane. It is the squawkiest plane I have ever been in. Flip a switch- ding ding ding. Flip another- ding ding ding. Start the engine- ding ding ding. Accidentally cough- ding ding ding (okay, I made that one up). It is the one sim where I can, without looking, pull the aural warning CBs through muscle memory. After years of working on 737s, it was shocking how noisy it is (though the EMB is much more comfortable for passengers). :)

We have an EMB145 sim at work- I hate that plane. It is the squawkiest plane I have ever been in. Flip a switch- ding ding ding. Flip another- ding ding ding. Start the engine- ding ding ding. Accidentally cough- ding ding ding (okay, I made that one up). It is the one sim where I can, without looking, pull the aural warning CBs through muscle memory. After years of working on 737s, it was shocking how noisy it is (though the EMB is much more comfortable for passengers). :)
If your sim was at DFW, I probably checked in it (and therefore, hated it, too.). The Saab was an awesome pilot’s airplane and I enjoyed the -145, too. Both were horrid for our passengers. On the other hand, the ATR-72 had a roomy cabin and was a workhorse but not my favorite airplane to fly.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
If your sim was at DFW, I probably checked in it (and therefore, hated it, too.). The Saab was an awesome pilot’s airplane and I enjoyed the -145, too. Both were horrid for our passengers. On the other hand, the ATR-72 had a roomy cabin and was a workhorse but not my favorite airplane to fly.
Yes sir, the FSI center at DFW. Eagle (now Encore) leases our sim, because the AA sim shop always has overflow. We have an EMB170 coming soon, just for Encore’s use.

Yes sir, the FSI center at DFW. Eagle (now Encore) leases our sim, because the AA sim shop always has overflow. We have an EMB170 coming soon, just for Encore’s use.
That was the place! Most of my sims were at the training center but I did do a few trainers and checks at FSI.

Whenever I’m feeling nostalgic for the airline days, I just think about check rides and remember why I am so blessed to be in the position to retire early.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
That was the place! Most of my sims were at the training center but I did do a few trainers and checks at FSI.

Whenever I’m feeling nostalgic for the airline days, I just think about check rides and remember why I am so blessed to be in the position to retire early.
Heck, we probably ran into each other. Ever have an instructor named Boreman? He usually made one call to techs every session. He was picky, but good at his job.

Heck, we probably ran into each other. Ever have an instructor named Boreman? He usually made one call to techs every session. He was picky, but good at his job.
Name is familiar but I never trained with him. I am a morning person so the 0400-0800 slot never bothered me. Of course, checks always seemed to be the 2200-0200 slot.

I was a laser engineer for 20 years, got laid off last year. I’m now an entrepreneur with a baseball batting aid invention that I’ve just launched.

Top Bottom