What's new

Aluminum razors. Which ones do you use or would you like to try?

I have been using aluminum razors as well as steel ones for some time. I find that the aluminum razor allows me to better perceive the hair cut as the razor slides over my face.
At the moment I use:
Calypso ATT H1
Razorock Lupo
and I'm waiting for Maggard Razors DE Safety Razor MR14
What do you think about aluminum razors?
Which ones do you use or would you like to try?

I have an aluminium vintage Gillette No58. It shaves mildly, but beautifully, with any blade. Very light of course, which takes a bit of getting used to, but you can almost run it around your face like a cart. The tto mechanism is just like the HD, buttery smooth.

I use a 52 black tip Super Speed and I just got a blue tip. I would try the Timeless Aluminum since I love my Bronze.

I just received a Timeless Aluminum off BST and only shaved once with it. With a new Personna Med Prep blade. For. .45 gap, it was extremely close, a little TOO close

May have been the blade. First time I tried one. Will try a Light Brigade next.

I have a Ss Timeless sixty eight that is my smoothest razor.

Time and technique and blade choice will see.

I have a few aluminum razors but definitely prefer heavier brass ones. I find that if the razor is too light I find myself prone to use pressure resulting in nicks. My sweet spot is at around 75 grams. Right in the middle between ‘too light’ and ‘too heavy’ :thumbup1:

I have a focus dynamic r48 and I love the balance nice shaver.
However it’s stainless brother r50 is a bit more effective but also tail heavy
Paa alpha eclectic slant very nice to look at but that head top cap is so sharp it competes with the razor blade for nicks and cuts so never use it.

I like the weight and the sound they usually provide, but I have noticed they tend to have a difficulty cutting my hair. It always feels like they are pulling the hair rather than cutting. Only applies to my head shaves btw, not the face. So I tend to get worse shaves with them unfortunately.

Congrats on the ATT Calypso btw, an absolute beauty!

20200514_092803-01.jpeg

20200514_092814-01.jpeg

60's German Gillette Tech here, with aluminum handle. Paired with a sharp blade this is all I need when it comes to travelling.

I see that there are few aluminum razors compared to steel or brass. Timeless has too small a gap and will probably be underperforming.
What other modern razors do you know?
I see, however, that aluminum does not meet your preferences very much.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Im interested in the karve aluminum
I have the ATT aluminum. Nice razor. Great build quality. The r2 plate is nice.

Some interesting info here on the Razorock SLOC 2.0 Aluminum:
I was not crazy about the feel of the razor with the steel handle, but like it much more now with an aftermarket aluminum handle.
Tom

Timeless has too small a gap and will probably be underperforming.
Gap alone gives you very little info to judge whether a razor will "perform" or not; you need to look at blade exposure.

A Gillette Old Type and Fatip OC have minuscule gaps, but lots of exposure and are hence very efficient. The Timeless aluminum has a relatively small gap but lots of positive exposure, and is more efficient than the stainless Timeless with almost double the gap, but less exposure.

Have:
ATT Aluminum Calypso H2 (M2 on it's way)

Want:
Karve OC F and C/D plates (C’mon man!)
Timeless
Focus R52 (curious about the design, not out yet I believe)
RR Lupo (maybe a bit too mild for me?)

I like light, maneuverable razors very much. The flatter the head profile, the better.

Top Bottom