What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

Raven Koenes

My precious!
@Chan Eil Whiskers, Jim, kindly offered to let me borrow his Fatip Lo Storto Gentile. I accepted his kind offer which I did not solicit. I received it in the mail yesterday, and I will use it starting next week after wrapping up a month with my Fatip Lo Storto OC. I'm announcing this as my one exception was my Fatip Lo Storto OC and not both Fatip Slants, so when you see the Gentile model it wasn't a purchase or even a trade. I must return his Fatip Lo Storto Gentile at a future date.

Thanks
Rave

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Raven Koenes, Car 57, 1939 Fiat 1500 B. Team 10 (still in)

SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto
Blade: Timor (2)
Brush: Whipped Dog HMB
Soap: SV Tundra Artica
Aftershave: Proraso Green (splash)
031_40.jpg

SOTD (# 84/2020)
05-05-2020
20200505_183549-01.jpeg

Preshave: warm water
Brush: Semogue 830
Soap: Dr. John's ~ Defiance (sample)
Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable (setting 6)
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Germany (1)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Proraso Azur Lime AS, Alverde AS balm.

JAHE - still in, another soap sample has been finished (besides: excellent performing soap. Great cushion and really slick.)

(Soap samples: minus 13;
After shave balm: minus 2)

SOTD (# 85/2020)
06-05-2020
20200506_202540-01.jpeg

Brush: Semogue Owners Club (Boar)
Soap: Wickham Soap 1912~ Scottish Heather (sample)
Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable (setting 6)
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum (2)
Postshave: frigid tap water, S.Oliver Superior AS

JAHE - still in

SOTD (# 86/2020)
10-05-2020
20200510_165250-01.jpeg

Preshave: warm water, Proraso pre-shave White
Brush: Semogue 1460
Soap: Barrister and Mann ~ Waves (sample)
Razor: Mühle R89
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (1)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Majestät AS

JAHE - still in

SOTD (# 87/2020)
11-05-2020
20200511_185237-01.jpeg

Brush: Thäter 4125/2 2-Band Silvertip Badger Imperial Red 26 Fan Rounded
Soap: Barrister and Mann ~ Waves (sample)
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Germany (2)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Alverde AS balm.

JAHE - still in

(Soap samples: minus 14;

SOTD (# 88/2020)
12-05-2020
20200512_150015-01-01.jpeg

Brush: Shavemac Synthetic 24/52
Soap: Wholly Kaw ~ Fougère bouquet (sample)
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (4)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Alverde AS balm.

JAHE - still in

(Soap samples: minus 15;

As reported before part of my goal for the Sabbatical was to get into touch with every part of my shave collection. With that in mind I pulled out a Lord Platinum Class blade and gave it a whirl today. Perfectly fine shave with no muss, and no fuss. I don't think I've used them in my SLOC before, and in my old Gillette Slim they were just average at best. I'm going to take a Shark Stainless for a ride soon <shudder>

Another good find was an old scuttle. I may use it in the morning.

And finally, I rescued my old puck of Portman Square Notting Hill shave cream ( really a croap ). It's probably 8 years old, and the strength of its lavender/cedar scent had caused me to relegate it to a drawer outside the bathroom where it sat unused for quite some time. I believe a few years in time out lessened the edge of the strong scent, and the actual soap base itself is simply fantastic ( I believe it was made by Queen Charlotte Soaps ). I've had a number of enjoyable shaves with it lately.

I am at that tricky time of year when I realize that my stock of shampoo bars and/or body soap bars is low (because I am terrible at planning I generally hit this point for shampoo bars in spring and soap in winter). I really like the Stirling products but find myself venturing into the shaving section thinking, "I mean I love their soaps and it would be nice to support a company I want to see succeed in this time..." there is a 99.9% chance that I will log in, place the order for the stuff I need and leave without succumbing to a shave purchase...however, that 0.1% is a persistent little bugger.

I am at that tricky time of year when I realize that my stock of shampoo bars and/or body soap bars is low (because I am terrible at planning I generally hit this point for shampoo bars in spring and soap in winter). I really like the Stirling products but find myself venturing into the shaving section thinking, "I mean I love their soaps and it would be nice to support a company I want to see succeed in this time..." there is a 99.9% chance that I will log in, place the order for the stuff I need and leave without succumbing to a shave purchase...however, that 0.1% is a persistent little bugger.

If you want to support that company simply order some extra bath soaps /shampoo bars... Stay strong mate.

I’m still hanging in there too! I think I was out by June of last year. However, with no temptations this year, I expect to make it longer than that.

Still in. I'm surprised how long my supplies are lasting; was hoping to have used up more things by this point. Just might have to start using some of the cheaper soaps to clean the bathroom.

SOTD (# 89/2020)
13-05-2020
20200513_201649-01.jpeg

Preshave: warm water, Proraso pre-shave white
Brush: Semogue 1800
Soap: Wickham Soap 1912 ~ Scottish Heather (sample)
Blade: Feather (1)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Proraso Azur Lime, Alverde AS balm.

JAHE - still in

(Soap samples: minus 15;

Okay guys, I might be out, but I would like to plead my case first. Today I bought a BNIB unopened bottle of Chanel Antaeus After Shave with the Paris/New York label. I haven't worn aftershave in years since I got interested in the fragrance hobby. I bought this bottle because it's kind of rare and it's 30+ years old. It's a pre-barcode item which makes it at least 1989 at the latest. I'm including one picture so you can see what this is. You might not be aware but aftershaves of that era were as strong or stronger, scent wise, than edt's of today. I made this purchase to coincide with a bottle of Antaeus I have of the same time period and markings and I just had to see what it smelled like. If you're not a fragrance collector you might not understand my reasoning and I understand but I hope you do.
ChanelAntaeusAS500.jpg

Top Bottom