What's new

How old old were you when you first shaved?

This has probably been aske before,but I can’t seem to locate a thread. So restarting one..

To get the ball rolling, i think i was 12 when i first used a trimmer to knock off my peach fuzz. My first wet shave was with a disposable razor when i was 14.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Wow. Manly men so far. I don't think a razor touched my face until I was 16, and then it was only taking off a few fine "whiskers". Definitely a cart and some Barbasol. Granddad gave me a Norelco electric for Christmas the following year as he used one. I remember finding a DE tucked away in his bathroom drawer once and thinking it was cool at the time, but unfortunately I never asked him about it.

When I was 14, a stewardess on a United flight gave every man deplaning a Fatboy; women got cheap perfume.

That night, I borrowed my father's tube of Barbasol, lathered up, loaded the blade in the razor. Pressed it to where my sideburns would eventually be. Rivulet of blood, right through the lather. So I tried the opposite side of my face, with identical results. Scars still there, I think.

Twice burned, I nevertheless persevered, and I finished my first shave with no further bloodshed. I had the Fatboy for 25 years.

I was 14 or so when I first shaved.
I had a couple of black hairs growing out of the sides of my chin. Borrowed my moms Trac 2. That thing just mowed them off quickly. Didn’t have to shave again for awhile.... beard grew slowly at that age....

I was 20 and during Winter Break I got tired of the prepubescent mustache and decided to shave it off. When my actual facial hair came in, I felt like Wolverine first activating his claws.

Pretty sure I was 15 when I used an electric; I think it was a Norelco, but it might have been a non-rotary head shaver. I stuck with the electric until I was about 25, and then added in a weekend shave with whatever the current cart razor was then (1978), and Barbasol foam.

I don’t recall for certain, but it was 15 or 16. I had a Gillette TTO with Gillette Blue Blades and Gillette Foamy. I can’t recall the after shave, but in those days I was using English Leather cologne. I still remember the ad slogan. “My men wear English Leather or they wear nothing at all.” The Me Too movement would have loved it.

I think I was in 10th grade. My parents were divorced and, for reasons I do not fully understand, my father did not seem to pay any attention to my peach fuzz. So I had to go out on my own and buy a Schick injector - it was the '70s.

I made sure not to repeat the past with my son and took him to Target to buy Schick's equivalent to Gillette's Mach3. This was before I learned about safety razors. I later bought him a WWII vintage Tech for $20 on Etsy. He is now fully stocked :).

I was 15 when I started having to shave to conform to the facial hair restrictions of my HS. This was 1979 so just missed the DE bus and went straight to the twin blade cartridge of the day. Too bad it took so long to come around to the notion that new doesn't always mean better.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I lost my father when I was 14yo and my older brother a couple of years before that. Our family was not comfortably well off so I was working after school, on weekends and during holidays to help my mother and two younger siblings while trying to keep my grades up.

I started developing peach fuzz at about 15yo so started saving for my first razor, brush and soap. After a few months I was the proud owner of a Slim adjustable, a nondescript brush, a stick of Palmolive and some Gillette 7 o'clock blades.

I had no one to teach other than what I remembered from watching my father shave.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
A first full wet shave at the age of 17. Before that, from what I remember, just an occasional "touch-up" on the face where and when needed.

~13. I remember standing at the sink and my dad showing me how to use a DE. I rarely shaved after since I really didnt need to, but by the time I was 16, I had to shave more frequently. My dad has switched to an electric by then, and I went for the Bic disposable and Barbersol. That made me HATE shaving... until I discovered DEs again when I was in my early to mid 40s.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
15 - 1964 with a brand new adjustable Gillette Slim which I used for many years until the Trac II was released.

About 14 or 15 I think, it was in 8th grade. Borrowed dad's Tech, but later went electric for a year or two until I went and bough a Gillette Knack, or 2000 or whatever it was called.

Top Bottom