Arkansas Love...Let's see those Arks!

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
15EE9ADE-8600-4ED6-AA61-525060B7589C.jpeg
DC9829AB-86B1-49E8-BA2C-70AA4955FFA8.jpeg

12x6x 1 vintage soft ark. 😲

David

It looks like a fairly clean break. I’d try to glue that one back together and get it back in use.

And after 20 minutes of grinding that would’ve been five seconds of chiseling if I knew where any chisels were... I got it jammed into a base and gave the top a quick lap and I’ll give it a trial later today.

It might wind up as a gift to a buddy of mine who wants to buy his first set of decent knives and when I told him that he would need to get a stone claimed he was all right because he had a V-sharpener

Attachments

• 48181287-ACA5-4C75-BDC2-0BB49E1A6184.jpeg
    48181287-ACA5-4C75-BDC2-0BB49E1A6184.jpeg
    260.5 KB · Views: 21
I can feel the change in texture where the CA is bridging the gap with my fingertip, it doesn't catch a nail though so here's hoping it wont catch a knife edge either.

Touched a knife up on it real quick and then chamfered those banged up edges. It’s very fast and cuts the annoyingly hard steel on some cheap stamped stainless Chinese knife my wife owns Quite well. Definitely if the “soft” variety of washita. Should work great.

Bought and soaked this awhile back. Put it on my shelf figuring ugly Washita and went to use it today... then lapped it. I think it's actually a really ugly "hard" ark. Good lord it's been awhile since I've lapped one of these. Made me feel old.

As you can probably see there's still a small patch in the center I didn't quite get to... a job for another day.

Attachments

• 18613E28-BD5E-4685-A8DE-0C8BAE34DDC0.jpeg
    18613E28-BD5E-4685-A8DE-0C8BAE34DDC0.jpeg
    255.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

David

Lapping that 12x3 Norton gave me tennis elbow. Seriously. I had an MRI done yesterday. lol

Could be, but I doubt it's a real Washita... maybe one of the modern "Washita". It's hard as hell and doesn't cut like a Washita. Reminds me of the "hard" Arkansas' in the knock-off three stone sets like this: (SMITH'S VINTAGE TRI-HONE 3 STONE SHARPENER ARKANSAS OB WOOD W/STAND KNIFE TOOL * | #347567903 - https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/smiths-vintage-tri-hone-stone-27567903)

Luckily my other Ugly one turned out to be really nice. Very much like my 10" unlabeled. Fast, even gritted... everything good about a LWW except it's not pretty.

Nothing else soft and unlabeled though... just that broken one... might have to keep it for myself. Even Gritted Softies aren't that easy to find. I've sold too many.

Honestly, at that size, I'd probably have not bothered unless it was miles out of flat. That or rent one of those floor strippers they use to refinish hardwood.

I wonder if grade #2's and below had hard spots like some of these lesser ones, or if they're stones that were sold by other makers and wouldn't have been marketed by Norton.

Last edited:
Top Bottom