What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Raven Koenes, Car 57, 1939 Fiat 1500 B. Team 10 (still in)
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: "Face chomping wonky thing"
Blade: Bolzano (10)
Brush: Omega S10065
Soap: PdP No.63
Aftershave: Osage Rub
038_40.jpg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
The razor isn’t that bad. lol.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;WISE;CoA;4yr/10yr Sabbatical
You're right it's not that bad. In fact I love it! AimlessWanderer (Al) made a joke when we were discussing the spelling and pronunciation of Fatip. His response was, "Face chomping wonky thing" is a lot less confusing. That cracked me up. I asked if I could steal it. He said, ":lol: but of course :biggrin1:." I've been calling it that for a couple of days on various threads. You're the first to notice lol. My Fatip Lo Storto rules! :punk:

Last edited:
SOTD (# 80/2020)
01-05-2020
20200501_142129-01.jpeg

Preshave: warm water
Brush: Shavemac Synthetic 24/52
Soap: Proraso ~ White
Razor: Razorock SLOC
Blade: Feather (1)
Postshave: frigid tap water, FINE Fresh Vetiver AS, Nivea After Shave Balm

JAHE - still in

(Soap samples: minus 11;
After shave balm: minus 2)

SOTD (# 81/2020)
02-05-2020
20200502_103651-01.jpeg

Preshave: warm water
Brush: Semogue 1460
Soap: Barrister and Mann ~ Nordost
Razor: Razorock SLOC
Blade: Feather (2)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap Orange Chill AS & After Shave Balm

JAHE - still in

(Soap samples: minus 11;

Razor: "Face chomping wonky thing"
Blade: Bolzano
Ha! Love the name, love the razor, rue the day I bought that blade.... But glad it works for you!

I've somewhat slowed down my number of shaves during the year of April but am getting close to finishing my tub of Stirling sharp dressed man. Way too many choices for when I finish it thinking either Fine American Barber, Haslinger Coconut (vegan), Ghost town Barber, or a zengari soap. Who knows what new adventure I will go on. If course, I say I'm getting close but after smashing it down to fill the bottom it feels like a long way to go still...

Ha! Love the name, love the razor, rue the day I bought that blade...
I believe it is a matter of pairing with the razor. Speaking for myself, I find Bolzano very smooth in EJ89. Yet to try it in more aggressive Karve. Never went up to ten uses like @Raven Koenes though. Complete opposite of Excalibur club guys. Always discard after two-three shaves.

And still in, riding my (imaginary) luxury Bentley, sipping (imaginary) snow-chilled Heidsieck.

Still in. Was tempted with the re-release of the Tradere razor by Blackland today. Wasn’t interested in it years ago with the original. Popular demand lead me to curiosity, but we know curiosity can kill cats.

I knew the Tradere was coming out today, so yesterday I bought a nice pair of wireless, noise-canceling headphones. No money left for a high-end razor...

Good job @pbrmhl! Fortunately I seem to be fully satisfied with my current razor. Looking at my backlog of unopened soaps I dare not miss a day of shaving. My current project is a brick of Vittos. After 400+ shaves/days in a row I can say I have have become pretty adept at making a slick efficient lather. The scary part is I am less than half way though the brick so it will be quite some time before I get to report a "kill". However the saves are boringly consistent and great so I guess I shouldn't complain an instead I should worry about how the remaining 58 soaps will fare.

Once this stay at home stuff ends maybe we should meet again for some either bad coffee or maybe this time a good ipa

Ruckin (still lathering)

Good job @pbrmhl! Fortunately I seem to be fully satisfied with my current razor. Looking at my backlog of unopened soaps I dare not miss a day of shaving. My current project is a brick of Vittos. After 400+ shaves/days in a row I can say I have have become pretty adept at making a slick efficient lather. The scary part is I am less than half way though the brick so it will be quite some time before I get to report a "kill". However the saves are boringly consistent and great so I guess I shouldn't complain an instead I should worry about how the remaining 58 soaps will fare.

Once this stay at home stuff ends maybe we should meet again for some either bad coffee or maybe this time a good ipa

Ruckin (still lathering)

I look forward to beers with you, @ruckin! I enjoyed coffee, but I enjoy beer much more.

I've been enjoying the 2020 sabbatical, as I finally seem to be realizing I have enough gear. It helps that I'm stuck at home. During normal times, I have shaving acquisitions shipped to my office, where I can judicially load my large purse with the haul to take home and store without my wife's watchful eye (i.e., when she's asleep). I no longer have that luxury. Thank God.

Last edited:
lol - I have way more shaving stuff than I need (or deserve) too. We should plan on a beer (or two) when the gov decides it is okay for folks to talk to each other again. If we stick to beers I don't think either of us would be out... but we might want to put the 2020 grand rally on pause until we get up the next day :001_unsur

All this staying at home has almost made me forget I have that fine fictional car, the Triumph Gloria Vitesse.

It is running fine though. I wore down my Haslinger remnants to a few final shards which I now have dumped in with a tub of Proraso white.

The two Bic blades I have been shaving with now have a hundred shaves between them. I don’t know how these can still be so sharp but I will just carry on until that changes.

As for beers, a strange fact of my neighbourhood in these times is the existence of a half dozen microbreweries within a fifteen minute walk from my front door. It’s all good. I am doing my best to keep them in business and there is no danger of crashing the Triumph.

SOTD (# 82/2020)
03-05-2020
20200503_113933-01.jpeg

Preshave: warm water, Proraso pre-shave cream white
Brush: Stirling Soap Finest Badger Fan 24/50
Soap: Wickham Soap 1912 ~ Irish Fern (Sample)
Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable (setting 5)
Blade: Feather (3)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Nivea After Shave Balm

JAHE - still in

(Soap samples: minus 12;

SOTD (# 83/2020)
04-05-2020
20200504_141135-01.jpeg

Preshave: warm water, Proraso pre-shave cream white
Brush: WestCoastShaving Two Tone Tall Synthetic 26/56
Soap: Haslinger ~ Schafsmilch
Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable (setting 4)
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (3)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Majestät AS

JAHE - still in

(Soap samples: minus 12;

Car 61, cruising along smoothly, no temptations in the world.
I've been enjoying my every second day combo of '40s Super Speed, Nacet, and RR Blue Barbershop hard soap and splash. I managed to finish off the Irish Countryside over the weekend, and I'll likely not restock it during the window.
The blue, however is a very nice combination; I'm definitely a fan of both performance and scent.

My tally:
Preshave - 1 (noxema)
Aftershave - 4 (Gatlinburg, Kramperts, Irish Countryside, 500ml witch hazel
Soap - 1 (Gatlinburg)
Frag - 2 (Zscent Irish countryside, Aramis).

Car #35 reporting. No problems or breakdowns so far on the course.

Sorry to see Team Seven's unblemished performance marred by an unfortunate accident. Eyes on the road...

Top Bottom