What's new

Butterfly vs Three-Piece...is one better than the other?

Since the group overwhelmingly prefers 3 pieces, it makes me like TTO more. I've never experienced any "chattering" with my superspeeds.
Whoa pilgrim ...I never said it had to be 3-piece. 2 is plenty.
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I was PIF'ed a SuperSpeed and a Tech when I first started DE shaving.

I only own Techs now for all the reasons aforementioned. (Head size, blade stability, simplicity of design for use and cleaning etc.)

I like both. Owned a three piece before a TTO and if I’m being honest only bought a TTO out of curiosity - the dreaded ‘c’ that causes many a wet shaver‘s wallet to become lighter!

I have no preference and like them all. My two favorite razors at the moment: Wolfman WR2 SB which is a three-piece razor and the UK Aristocrat which is a TTO.

Butterfly: Elegant engineering to keep you from fiddling with pieces. Too clunky for under my nose tho.
Three-piece: The right design will lock your blade in place like a boss. Can have a slim head if made by a competent designer. The one for me.

I like them all. I take out the blade and rinse all parts daily so if I'm feeling lazy, a tto is handy. I do like the mechanics of a tto, just fun to use. I don't have any issues getting around my nose with a tto but then I don't consider any of my TTOs to have a large head. I also prefer razors with exposed tabs because I find them easier to edge with. I guess maybe I'm a bit odd.

Nah. Never prone to hyperbole Gillette claims your Aristocrat will render 1000 years of service "or more". So I wouldn't sweat it.
proxy.php

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Brilliant! Absolutely brilliant answer. 1000 years of service. Tested using equipment worth thousands of dollars.

I have lots of both types. My Darwin is a three piece and it is superb. The Asylum Evolution tribute to the Darwin is a great razor that for some reason doesn't get anywhere near the attention it deserves. My three piece Tradere is exceptional. As for modern three piece razors, I get superb shaves from my Karve and the quality if that razor is truly something special.

I can't get over how brilliant my Gillette 195's (fatboys) are. That razor changes both gap and blade angle and from what I understand no other razor design accomplished that. I keep coming back to my made in England Aristocrat Jr. and Rocket HD 500's.

While I fully understand people preferring one design over another, as far as I'm concerned, two or three piece razors are just something different from TTO's but neither is inherently superior. They're different. Some models of each type are brilliant, some are terrible. But neither design is inherently better than the other.

If you're looking for something entirely different, if you can find a Rythmic made by the Davies company of Scotland, you'll have found a truly fabulous razor that's a one-piece adjustable, that's utterly unique. No silo doors at all, an almost naked DE blade in a space-age design.

Im not sure that one is better than the other, they do both have their pros and cons though. TTO have a pro in that the blades are super easy to replace in them but have a con in that the heads tend to be thicker, so its more difficult to shave under your nose.
3-piece has a pro in that the heads are typically slimmer, so its easier to shave under your nose but its a bit more of a pain to replace the blades and if you ever drop it, theres a good chance that you will snap off the top cap stud.

I'm a big fan of the butterfly. I just like the fact that I can't lose any of the parts and cleaning the blade is a breeze. I wish Edwin Jagger & some of the current manufacturers would make a one piece razor. I have both types but usually use a vintage Gillette butterfly.

I suspect the original Gillette butterfly TTO design at least in part came in response to the success of ASR's one piece Micromatic, a simpler and more rugged design which preceded Gillette's by 4 years, as well as the less elegant Segal TTO released 2 years prior to Gillette's first patent application.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk
proxy.php

proxy.php
Thanks for attaching the old ads. You can learn a lot about the past by reading ads. I basically prefer 3 piece razors, particularly with open combs, over TTO because there's less to go wrong with the mechanisms. A well made 3 piece will last several lifetimes unless you drop it, etc. An exception to my rule is my 1934 Gillette Aristocrat, TTO and open comb. Probably my favorite razor.

Top Bottom