What's new

Shavemac questions

I'm considering using the configurator at the Shavemac website to build a 25mm D01 2-band Silvertip brush. I'm also looking at a Simpson Chubby 2 Super. It's my understanding that the Simpson can be hit or miss, and sometimes she'd. Has anyone had any experience with either or both of these that can comment on their worthiness? I also have gleaned from some threads that Shavemac knots aren't what they used to be. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I have had several Simpsons shed in the first few shaves, and then stop. None were continual shedders.

My Shavemacs have always been fantastic, been I have not bought a Shavemac in about 4 years, so I have no reference for current knots from them. But I would buy another Shavemac in a heartbeat.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I'm considering using the configurator at the Shavemac website to build a 25mm D01 2-band Silvertip brush. I'm also looking at a Simpson Chubby 2 Super. It's my understanding that the Simpson can be hit or miss, and sometimes she'd. Has anyone had any experience with either or both of these that can comment on their worthiness? I also have gleaned from some threads that Shavemac knots aren't what they used to be. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I have a 23mm Shavemac Silvertip that is one of my favorite badgers.

The Shavemac configuration tool has some pretty cool options. :)

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I use a lot of Shavemac knots in my brushes, and have not heard of or experienced any issues.
Make sure you understand what you get with the D01 two-band: a very dense, stiff brush with a lot of scrub, it is an acquired taste, but I do love the two I have.
In total I guess I have some 10-12 Shavemac knotted brushes, from Finest to D01 (both grades) and they do not shed typically at all. In total, I may have lost a total of maybe 100 hairs from all the brushes in all the years I have them - this is very few shed hairs....maybe a hair or two per brush and year.
Shavemac are not known to be shedders.

I have two Shavemac 2 bands which are terrific! My guess is that the DO1 would be too dense for my taste, but that’s me.

I also have a stable that currently includes seven Simpsons (one super and the rest best): TERRIFIC brushes!! Everyone should try a Chubby IMHO! Great brushes!!

In other words, you are looking at some excellent brushes!! Tough to go wrong!! :a29:

I use a lot of Shavemac knots in my brushes, and have not heard of or experienced any issues.
Make sure you understand what you get with the D01 two-band: a very dense, stiff brush with a lot of scrub, it is an acquired taste, but I do love the two I have.
In total I guess I have some 10-12 Shavemac knotted brushes, from Finest to D01 (both grades) and they do not shed typically at all. In total, I may have lost a total of maybe 100 hairs from all the brushes in all the years I have them - this is very few shed hairs....maybe a hair or two per brush and year.

I have a number of Shavemac brushes with the various knots. What Rudy said about the D01 two-band is important to note. I have three brushes with these knots - all made by Rudy - and I happen to love them. But they have a lot of backbone and if you like a soft brush this knot may not be the one for you. In fact, the five Shavemac knot brushes I have never have shed a single hair.

3 Shavemac knots (2 in Shavemac handles), 2 Simpson brushes. Both brands are terrific. No shedding with Shavemac, Simpsons lose 2-14 hairs per shave. I did own
2 other Simpson brushes that did not shed. My money goes to Shavemac now.

I have not tried a Chubby, but I do own a few Shavemacs and a Tulip. I have not read any issues with Shavemac. I have always known them to be incredibly consistent with their knots. Always high quality and non shedders.

The Shavemac Unique 2 band is currently my favorite brush.

Thank you for taking the time to respond! I think, after coming across the descriptions of the different knot types they offer, that I would probably prefer the 2 band Silvertip. And seeing the fan and bulb types in a video, I think the fan is more of what I want. I've still got a lot to learn. Getting a premium brush is basically a one chance move for me, so I want to research as much as possible before I make a decision. Thanks again!

I have two Shavemac 2 bands which are terrific! My guess is that the DO1 would be too dense for my taste, but that’s me.

I also have a stable that currently includes seven Simpsons (one super and the rest best): TERRIFIC brushes!! Everyone should try a Chubby IMHO! Great brushes!!

In other words, you are looking at some excellent brushes!! Tough to go wrong!! :a29:
Thank you for responding! I'm excited to be able to do this. It'll be my only premium brush, so I've got to get it right.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have had many Simpson brushes and the only shedders have been modern Best grade. I had the Chubby 2 in Super and it is excellent but for me the Super has very little backbone and splays far too much making it perform like a much larger brush. It is very soft and luxurious if that is your preference. The D01 2 band is much stiffer with a lot more backbone more like a Manchurian I suggest. I found the Chubby 2 much too large for face lathering but that is a personal thing. I would expect the Chubby 2 Super to feel very much larger on the face than the Shavemac. Good luck.

I have had many Simpson brushes and the only shedders have been modern Best grade. I had the Chubby 2 in Super and it is excellent but for me the Super has very little backbone and splays far too much making it perform like a much larger brush. It is very soft and luxurious if that is your preference. The D01 2 band is much stiffer with a lot more backbone more like a Manchurian I suggest. I found the Chubby 2 much too large for face lathering but that is a personal thing. I would expect the Chubby 2 Super to feel very much larger on the face than the Shavemac. Good luck.
Thank you!

I recently got a brush made by Rudy and it has the 2 band silvertip from Shavemac and it is has been a great brush and I believe it has only shed one hair through the cleaning process and several shaves with it so far. It is definitely softer when I compare it to my simpson special in best.

Americana D01, two band.
First brush lost about twenty hairs a day, so after a while sent it back. Was replaced, by a brush that shed about 120 hairs prior to first use and kept up the pace set by the first. Sent it back. No word for months. Turned out they lost it, luckily after signing for it. By the time I got the third I had already bought another brush I was, and still am, very content with so I sold it - at a considerable loss, not counting the cost of having to return twice.
To be clear: by all means buy Shavemac. If there's a problem they will solve it in a courteous manner. But it's not for me, jinxed.

I would feel comfortable with either Simpsons or Shavemac; I prefer Shavemac including 3 that @Rudy Vey made for me. All but 2 of my Shavemac knots are 2 band silvertip, the others are 3 band d01 and synthetic. All are excellent. My Chubby 2 super has not shed, but it's a large brush and I like that. YMMV. :)

I would feel comfortable with either Simpsons or Shavemac; I prefer Shavemac including 3 that @Rudy Vey made for me. All but 2 of my Shavemac knots are 2 band silvertip, the others are 3 band d01 and synthetic. All are excellent. My Chubby 2 super has not shed, but it's a large brush and I like that. YMMV. :)
Thanks for the advice!

I bought a Simpson's about five years ago that was a shedder. Disappointing, but it was a best badger like @EclipseRedRing mentioned.

I have a 23 mm Shavemac Silvertip 2-band fan knot that I put into a custom handle (this year). Fantastic brush. So soft with some scritch. I will be getting a D01 2-band fan, but I don't think I would want to have started there. Now, if you like boar or stiffer brushes and more backbone than soft silvertips in general, then perhaps the D01 is just what you want. I do think that comparisons to other brushes can help guide you.

With that said, and I know he's already responded, but feel free to reach out to @Rudy Vey and consider having him make you a handle to put a knot shavemac knot in it. He's bound to give you specific and individual advice. I say this as someone who is slowly budgeting up to a Shavemac D01 fan, and I know I want a want a handle by him.

Top Bottom