What's new

Butterfly vs Three-Piece...is one better than the other?

Tto can be sensitive mechanical and for sure if you drop one. So I have two used Gillette a slim (bend) which of course shaves like crap and a super adjustable which shaves great.

But I also have a Parker 2 piece and a qshave futul which shave great also.

Construction wise the Parker wins, nice grip also. shaving wise the qshave wins. Big head and slippery handle though.
But the ergonomics of the black beauty are better (smaller head).

Never had problems with blade loading so for me a tto is easy but not needed

A lot of it depends on your personal taste. But since all 3 are affordable just try them out.

It’s more about your preference. Vintage TTO can give excellent shaves but with three years on these with drops and bumps and knocks, they are often not as good as they were new. Many folks are fine with them as they are and or have the patience to make repairs. There are also very inexpensive Chinese made TTOs that I have been blow away by their quality. Personally I have not had alignment issues with any TTO razor and they have all held my blade secure. The biggest negative observation I have is the vintage ones or those that have been dropped can have inconsistent blade gap from side to side or one end to the other.

Now, on to multi piece razors such as a tech. The worst blade alignment and sloppy tolerances came from the older techs I’ve tried to use. Overall, I would actually give techs and similar designs positive remarks.Honestly anything from 1950 to present is pretty solid, and a good amount of items older than that are great too.

Modern ZAMAK 3 piece razors are a different story as far a durability. They are great to use and moderately well cared for should provide a lifetime of use. However drop once with impact at just the right angle and you can easily snap the thread off the top cap. But that being said, you can drop on multiple times and it may soldier into without incident.

I like the idea of and most often use a stainless steel 3 piece because it’s durable. But I dropped one once and bent the safety bar. I wasnt happy, but I was happier in the end because it was serviceable. I found a drill bit shank to fit the original gap and was able to place the plate up against a steel square and tap the drill bit shank through the damaged area to realign the safety bar. I then checked to make sure the plate remained flat, and checked the edge against a machinists square.

Razors are all tools, but not like hammers. They should be viewed more like instruments. Any instrument not well cared for or maintained may not perform to full potential, but will perform nonetheless. Pick what works best for you.

I am a SR shaver so I don't know too much about the history of these things. But, when you open the butterfly doors, does a nuclear missile come out of the handle?

I absolutely appreciate the engineering and design of the Slim and Fatboy. I find them interesting and useful razors because they are adjustable. But, I never got great shaves from any other TTOs. Not enough to compensate for the bigger head.

They look pretty good and I like to concept of the mechanism.. but the heads I find to be bulky and hard to get under my snout, the shave to be too mild (atleast on my aristocrat) and the design change from a 3 piece to not actually be needed or an improvement.

I clean mine with a toothbrush but I'm sure there's a more sophisticated way.

They look pretty good and I like to concept of the mechanism.. but the heads I find to be bulky and hard to get under my snout, the shave to be too mild (atleast on my aristocrat) and the design change from a 3 piece to not actually be needed or an improvement.

I clean mine with a toothbrush but I'm sure there's a more sophisticated way.
Nah. Never prone to hyperbole Gillette claims your Aristocrat will render 1000 years of service "or more". So I wouldn't sweat it.
proxy.php

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Up until recently I only bought 3-piece or 2-piece razors but after buying a Black Beauty I find myself liking butterfly/TTO razors more and more. Since then I bought a Feather Popular, a Franck Provost and a Parker 99R and I love them all. The ease with which you load and unload a blade and the ingenious design-gotta love these things. Sure, they're more prone to failure, but I take good care of my razors and even if one of them breaks it won't be a tragedy.

Neither one is better, they are just different and address different tastes/needs. A clutz like me appreciates the simplicity of loading and unloading a TTO at times.

Add me to the list of folks who prefer a well-made TTO. I think there’s an elegance to the mechanics and for me blade-swapping is much easier (obvioulsy blade switching on most razors isn’t exactly difficult). It’s nice not to have to either juggle several pieces of metal or put some parts down while removing/installing the blade. I have the Gillette Superspeed and it gives me great shaves - I love it. Cavaet being that since there are moving parts with TTO, you have to be sure you’re buying one that acutally works if it’s vintage. I count myself lucky that the SS is in perfect condition, given that I didn’t know enough at ask the seller to verify.

I started with TTO then moved on to 3-piece razors! For me simpler is better, but that‘s me. :a29:

I still have a soft spot for my Slim!!

love em both, blade replacement seems quicker in a TTO, but we're talking saving perhaps 2 seconds a day. Over 50 years of shaving that only gives you about 10 extra hours.

love em both, blade replacement seems quicker in a TTO, but we're talking saving perhaps 2 seconds a day. Over 50 years of shaving that only gives you about 10 extra hours.

I figure brush loading with MDC saves maybe 15 seconds a day. I'll take my savings there [emoji2]

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

One better than the other? Nah. Just different. I prefer the three piece for its simplicity. The only TTO that I have are Birth Year/Quarter razors since that's all that was made in 1962. Otherwise I shave with my three piece razors. Right now my favorites are the Gillette New Deluxe, RazoRock Game Changer Open Comb 0.84, Schone Open Comb, RazoRock Old Type and Gillette Old Type.

Top Bottom