What's new

Thoughts on dive watch complications

I don't mind the extra complication in the sense it can make the watch more useful in other situations. While I do not have a diver with a chronograph, I sometimes like to use one on other watches. Even though I can nearly always remember the day (though the current stay-at-home orders making everyday-the-same is testing that) a date is nice even if only for checking the best-by-date on a loaf of bread or gallon of milk when out grocery shopping.

I have the opposite peeve....why is a rotating bezel almost exclusively reserved for a diver styled watch? Besides the date I find a rotating bezel to be a very useful function and is practically maintenance free. I want a tasteful one (internal or external) on my dress watch. A bezel provides an easy way to time low resolution activities like cooking or as a poor man's GMT when traveling across time zones.

Yes, I like them on chronograph watches, I just don't see the benefit of them on a diver. I think its the idea of it being a tool watch, each of them have their specific tasks and making them hybrids just over complicates them for me.

On the non-diver with rotating bezel, I have never thought about that. I think Seiko make some but not sure how else. I agree it would be a handy additional to a non-diver as well.

Speedmaster's are lovely watches, which version do you have?

Yes, its all about personal preference, I like dive watches that are more classic dive tool watches than a hybrid. I always wondered if I was in the minority with this, and it starts to look like I am. But as you said, we all get to buy what we like! (unfortunately subject to budget)

I just have the reduced automatic version. It suits my skinny wrist but to be honest, I also didn't want to spend the difference for the Professional, let alone the Moon Watch.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I think Omega state you can use them underwater, but I believe that watch is an exception to the general rule. Its the same reason most dive watches have a screw down crown or guard to prevent any seals/openings for water to leak in which is heightened at pressure.

I love a nice chronometer. A Speedmaster will be one of my next purchases and the new Breitling Top Time has also piqued my interest (probably helped by it being the Thunderball watch and me being a Bond fan), but I just don't see the benefit of it on a dive watch, but then I suppose a dive watch is somewhat redundant now that dive computers have taken over.
I know of a benefit. At work, if we get called to a simulator, and the problem isn’t fixed in one hour, we have to send a sim down email. When I get a call, the first thing I do is set the bezel. It is easier to occasionally glance at my watch to see how long it’s been than to remember when they called and keep pulling my phone out.

I use the timer bezel on my dive watch all the time. Cooking a lot (especially BBQing) and even just to time how long it takes the bus to get downtown on any given day.

I know of a benefit. At work, if we get called to a simulator, and the problem isn’t fixed in one hour, we have to send a sim down email. When I get a call, the first thing I do is set the bezel. It is easier to occasionally glance at my watch to see how long it’s been than to remember when they called and keep pulling my phone out.

Correct, that is a benefit of a rotating bezel on a dive watch. However, a dive watch is supposed to have that. Its a chronometer on a dive watch, dive watches with no bezel, GMT dive watches etc that I don't see the benefit of (and am not a fan of).

I just have the reduced automatic version. It suits my skinny wrist but to be honest, I also didn't want to spend the difference for the Professional, let alone the Moon Watch.

Nice choice with the automatic. Even though the Professional is the "classic" version, I think the hand winding would get a bit annoying at times (again, for me at least) so I would likely go for the automatic as well!

Correct, that is a benefit of a rotating bezel on a dive watch. However, a dive watch is supposed to have that. Its a chronometer on a dive watch, dive watches with no bezel, GMT dive watches etc that I don't see the benefit of (and am not a fan of).
This is an oversimplication but I think there are two different camps. While a classic dive watch is certainly desirable and has a place for many owners, those same owners are likely to own more that one watch and can match the watch they are wearing to their needs or whims of the day. A person with only one or two watches, or someone going on a long trip with only the watch on their wrist, or someone who needs the extra function might choose to get a GMT chrono date diver (for example). If spending $$$-$$$$ on a watch I think the purity of function often loses out to maximizing the value and utility.

Many have heard of the term "desk diver" to acknowledge that the majority of dive watches will never even see the deep end of a swimming pool, so in that sense they could be considered as a type of fashion watch. Though I think most owners do appreciate the extra water resistance and bezel in addition to the rugged size/looks.

This is an oversimplication but I think there are two different camps. While a classic dive watch is certainly desirable and has a place for many owners, those same owners are likely to own more that one watch and can match the watch they are wearing to their needs or whims of the day. A person with only one or two watches, or someone going on a long trip with only the watch on their wrist, or someone who needs the extra function might choose to get a GMT chrono date diver (for example). If spending $$$-$$$$ on a watch I think the purity of function often loses out to maximizing the value and utility.

Many have heard of the term "desk diver" to acknowledge that the majority of dive watches will never even see the deep end of a swimming pool, so in that sense they could be considered as a type of fashion watch. Though I think most owners do appreciate the extra water resistance and bezel in addition to the rugged size/looks.

Yes, it is very much a case of personnel preference (with myself in the traditional dive watch style camp). My personnel view is that the more complicated a watch dial is, the less usable it becomes.

However, I think there is also a third camp of waterproof watches billed as divers. If you look at a watch like the Planet Ocean GMT below (which is a beautiful looking watch). It is waterproof to 600m, but it only has a GMT bezel and it is a bi-directional bezel. Therefore it cannot physically function as a dive watch as you cannot use the bezel to time your dive and even if you had a system to convert it in your head to a diver style timer the bezel could turn backwards which is potentially deadly when using it as a dive watch.
1588325081141.png

To me, that is a waterproof GMT, not a GMT diver. Similarly the Aqua Terra has no diver functions other than being a waterproof watch. I guess from a marketing standpoint, "a dive watch" sounds cooler than "a waterproof watch"

I do not dive. I shoot with a guy who worked on oil platforms as the medic/safety director etc. South China Sea, the Med, the Gulf of Mexico, off the coast of Africa etc.

The divers he was exposed to for the bulk of his career dove with one of two watches- A Seiko 007/173 style dive watch or a Casio G-Shock. At the tail end of his career, most divers added the computer, backed up by a G-Shock. FWIW.

IMHO, as a durable fashion piece/above water tool watch, wear what you want. If I was going to wear a watch that was constantly exposed to water, it would be well under 1k Seiko/Citizen/Orient/Scurfa/any number of Seiko/Miyota/Selita/Eta powered micro brand divers etc. or a G-Shock.

I would never day in day out expose my Omega GMT Seamaster to water when a G-shock will do anything that watch will do better for 100 max.

Odds the Omega leaking-Very Low. Stakes of it leaking-Very High-Back to Omega for a 600.00 overhaul.

Yes, it is very much a case of personnel preference (with myself in the traditional dive watch style camp). My personnel view is that the more complicated a watch dial is, the less usable it becomes.

However, I think there is also a third camp of waterproof watches billed as divers. If you look at a watch like the Planet Ocean GMT below (which is a beautiful looking watch). It is waterproof to 600m, but it only has a GMT bezel and it is a bi-directional bezel. Therefore it cannot physically function as a dive watch as you cannot use the bezel to time your dive and even if you had a system to convert it in your head to a diver style timer the bezel could turn backwards which is potentially deadly when using it as a dive watch.
View attachment 1094346
To me, that is a waterproof GMT, not a GMT diver. Similarly the Aqua Terra has no diver functions other than being a waterproof watch. I guess from a marketing standpoint, "a dive watch" sounds cooler than "a waterproof watch"
Though as some have already noted, most people don't use their dive watch for its original purpose. It has become more of styling/functional category much like a pair of Air Jordans can be used to play basketball but very few people can dunk a basketball and the majority of buyers are after a certain look more often than using them to play a game of pickup basketball.

There are a few diver GMT with hybrid rotating bezels such as this Christopher Ward GMT Diver which some people do not like because of split function on the bezel. Personally I would prefer a traditional 60 minute bezel or even a 1-12 hour bezel on a "GMT diver" and leave the 24 hour scale on the chapter ring. Though I like them all.
proxy.php

I do not dive. I shoot with a guy who worked on oil platforms as the medic/safety director etc. South China Sea, the Med, the Gulf of Mexico, off the coast of Africa etc.

The divers he was exposed to for the bulk of his career dove with one of two watches- A Seiko 007/173 style dive watch or a Casio G-Shock. At the tail end of his career, most divers added the computer, backed up by a G-Shock. FWIW.

IMHO, as a durable fashion piece/above water tool watch, wear what you want. If I was going to wear a watch that was constantly exposed to water, it would be well under 1k Seiko/Citizen/Orient/Scurfa/any number of Seiko/Miyota/Selita/Eta powered micro brand divers etc. or a G-Shock.

I would never day in day out expose my Omega GMT Seamaster to water when a G-shock will do anything that watch will do better for 100 max.

Odds the Omega leaking-Very Low. Stakes of it leaking-Very High-Back to Omega for a 600.00 overhaul.

I guess it depends on the region and type of diving (Air vs SAT). I'm not a commercial diver, but I work for a SAT diving company (Living in Aberdeen, it's had to avoid working for an Oil and Gas company or service company) and most of our divers still wear a Rolex or Omega while working primarily because SAT divers can be working down to 1000ft (so a G-Shock is no use as they aren't waterproof to that depth) and they are living in a diving bell at pressure so they look for watches with Helium Escape Valves. Although these guys are also earning about £1,500 a day while in SAT so to them the cost isn't a big deal (and I assume is also tax deductible).

I agree with wearing what you want, I just think that sometimes "dive" watch is used as a selling point as "waterproof" watch doesn't sounds as cool so it is used more and more for watches that are either not capable of being dive watches are have too many complications to make them practical as a dive watch.

Though as some have already noted, most people don't use their dive watch for its original purpose. It has become more of styling/functional category much like a pair of Air Jordans can be used to play basketball but very few people can dunk a basketball and the majority of buyers are after a certain look more often than using them to play a game of pickup basketball.

There are a few diver GMT with hybrid rotating bezels such as this Christopher Ward GMT Diver which some people do not like because of split function on the bezel. Personally I would prefer a traditional 60 minute bezel or even a 1-12 hour bezel on a "GMT diver" and leave the 24 hour scale on the chapter ring. Though I like them all.
proxy.php

Yes, I agree with a traditional 60 min bezel (my personnel view is it's not a diver without that). The more complications you add, the more expensive the watch gets as well, often to the point that you could get a decent GMT and Diver for about the price of one combined hybrid (and having two watches is always better than one!)

It would seem though that tool watches are generally more "fashion" watches these days, which to me is a shame as I like the simplicicity/purpose of each specific tool watch.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I guess it depends on the region and type of diving (Air vs SAT). I'm not a commercial diver, but I work for a SAT diving company (Living in Aberdeen, it's had to avoid working for an Oil and Gas company or service company) and most of our divers still wear a Rolex or Omega while working primarily because SAT divers can be working down to 1000ft (so a G-Shock is no use as they aren't waterproof to that depth) and they are living in a diving bell at pressure so they look for watches with Helium Escape Valves. Although these guys are also earning about £1,500 a day while in SAT so to them the cost isn't a big deal (and I assume is also tax deductible).

I agree with wearing what you want, I just think that sometimes "dive" watch is used as a selling point as "waterproof" watch doesn't sounds as cool so it is used more and more for watches that are either not capable of being dive watches are have too many complications to make them practical as a dive watch.
It is a small world. Until very recently I regularly travelled to Aberdeen for IT work with an oil and gas company in Craigshaw Business Park. I stayed at the Inn On The Park pub by Duthie Park. I hope they manage to survive this current situation but I fear not. I can see a lot of jobs being lost in that area. Good luck 👍

It is a small world. Until very recently I regularly travelled to Aberdeen for IT work with an oil and gas company in Craigshaw Business Park. I stayed at the Inn On The Park pub by Duthie Park. I hope they manage to survive this current situation but I fear not. I can see a lot of jobs being lost in that area. Good luck 👍

Very small world, I can walk from my house along the old railway line and be at Duthie Park in 20 minutes! Thank you, tough times up here again but thankfully my company still has projects to keep us going (we mainly do Inspection, Repair and Maintenance Works so a lot of that is still needed regardless of oil price, clients just want it done cheaper!)

Top Bottom