What's new

What is the most comfortable, mild DE razor?

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Thanks for the suggestion. I just bought 3 Merkurs and a EJ DE89.

...I've never spent more than $50 on a razor...

Well, even at a conservative $30 each, you just spent at least $120. You can buy a nice higher end razor for that. Or you’re a good part of the way to a high zoot razor like a Timeless or a Charcoal Goods at that point. You can get a scratch and dent from timeless for under $200, and you’ll have a hard time finding any defects.

On the other side of the coin, you could probably buy 5 or 6 vintage Gillettes for that same $120. :)

The DE89 and the various Merkurs are really good workhorse razors. I have used a DE89 countless times. Unlike some, I get great shaves from a DE89. You will enjoy them all.

But when you are ready, don’t be afraid to get a high end modern marvel of engineering. You may just be rewarded with the best shaves of your life... maybe. :)

So many razors, so little time!!

I am also in the ‘mild/moderate’ razor plus sharp blade camp!!

Your 34C is a great shaver in that range!

At the ‘milder’ end, the Feather AS-D2 is a great choice. At the ’most exclusive’ end, you can get a Wolfman made to your specifications.

:a29::a29:

So I'm almost two years into DE shaving and I have learned a lot. I've experimented with all kinds of razors and blades, from basic to adventurous. And what I've learned is that I really like a mild razor that's very comfortable and difficult to damage yourself with. I guess I'm ready to settle down!

For a long time I used the classic Gillette razors like the Aristocrat, flare tips and the Tech. Recently I've gotten the Merkur 34c and the Edwin Jagger DE89. Out of the two, the 34c is the most fool-proof shave. And since I love the collecting aspect, I wouldn't mind seeking out another razor or two that are exceptionally smooth.

What do you guys think? What's your smoothest shaving model of razor?
No such thing. The smoothest razor is the one that YOU find the smoothest. What others will tell doesn't count in like 70% of the time.
And no offence, but you say you shaved with a DE razor for almost two years. And you have learned a lot.
Trust me, that's what I thought many years ago after 2 years of DE shaving. Turns out even 5 ot 6 years later you get the occasional bad shave [especially if you try different things]. From what you are telling us, you have tried 5-6 different razors and all of them are very mild [I know you recently bought a Progress and at first didn't like it].
So my advice: stick to what razors you have for 1-2 years and keep analysing all the factors that affect your shave: cream, brush, how often do you shave etc., etc. There are more than 10 factors. I know RAD is a nasty beast, I've been having it for some 20 years.

Thanks, guys. It sounds like there are a lot of smooth shavers out there, many of them I already own. I do have a President as well as a ball end Tech. My tech's top cap is chipped and worn, so that might not make it as smooth as others.

@BradWorld I have definitely chosen to spend my money on several razors rather than one higher end model. However, as a wise person on B&B once said, every purchase can serve as just a rental because you can always sell it to another enthusiast for a decent price. You can always take the pool of resources and keep bringing new ones into the mix.

But as @ivan_101 implied, the smoothest shaver might be the one you've learned how to get a smooth shave from! A shave is maybe one of the most subjective things in our lives. Maybe it makes less sense to focus on the objective element in the mix, i.e. the razor. There are too many other mitigating elements to attribute so much influence to the hardware.

We always talk about developing technique. But when the razor is new, sometimes you're not as experienced as you think.

I do have a President as well as a ball end Tech. My tech's top cap is chipped and worn, so that might not make it as smooth as others.
Ball end Techs are different. There are at least 3 or 4 varieties from different decades. Some have a higher profile head that requires a bit steeper angle, some have more exposure than others. Even different gaps. Different thickness of the bottom plate, different bottom plate shape etc. And most of the time at first glance it looks like there is no difference between similarly looking Techs.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Well, for me, nothing on the planet is as buttery smooth as the British Hybrid Tech; but the pre-war version (triangle slots) is also very, very comfortable. Others think the post-war Tech is smoother. I don’t detect much difference between those two.

I agree that the Hybrid Tech is the smoothest and most efficient Tech of them all. However, they are very hard to come by. If anyone is looking to get something very close to the Hybrid Tech, look for a British Flat Bottom Tech. They are most excellent shavers, and are more efficient than any American Tech in my opinion. Plus you can get them in some magnificent Bakelite cases too! I have a bunch of them, and they never cease to please me. There is also a British Flat Bottom New that is basically an open comb Tech. Those are fabulous as well. Happy hunting!

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I agree that the Hybrid Tech is the smoothest and most efficient Tech of them all. However, they are very hard to come by. If anyone is looking to get something very close to the Hybrid Tech, look for a British Flat Bottom Tech. They are most excellent shavers, and are more efficient than any American Tech in my opinion. Plus you can get them in some magnificent Bakelite cases too! I have a bunch of them, and they never cease to please me. There is also a British Flat Bottom New that is basically an open comb Tech. Those are fabulous as well. Happy hunting!
Good stuff, Brad!!

After listening to your suggestions, I realizied I had either the same heads or something similar in my collection. Many I had written off as not being a great shave. I just bought a brand new chrome handle for another razor and so I decided to make myself a new razor set!

Pics below:

My wife gave me this tin. I inserted the handle packaging and made it a home for a new razor set. I placed my tech, old type and New LC heads in with it. And I put two shims in the old type (which I think is a Brownie) and see how it works. I've read that the older blades were thicker back then. That might explain why it never shaved worth a damn!

It occurred to me that the stock handles might have contributed to some lackluster shaves in the past. How much of the razor attributes can be attributed to the handle? 30%? 50%? I can't say that I know because this is the first time I've introduced a quality, heavy handle into the mix, especially with razor heads that are nearly 100 years old.

So I might get a better mild shave with the weighty, longer handle. I've also ordered some Nacets to see how they work.

Attachments

• 20200428_230237.jpg
    20200428_230237.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 23
  • 20200428_230211.jpg
    20200428_230211.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 23
  • 20200428_230136.jpg
    20200428_230136.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 25
  • 20200428_230109.jpg
    20200428_230109.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 28
  • 20200428_230027.jpg
    20200428_230027.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 25
  • 20200428_230345.jpg
    20200428_230345.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 24

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Well, for me, nothing on the planet is as buttery smooth as the British Hybrid Tech; but the pre-war version (triangle slots) is also very, very comfortable. Others think the post-war Tech is smoother. I don’t detect much difference between those two.

Excellent advice from two very wise B&Bers. :thumbup:

In addition to me previous suggestions (which did include Techs).....

I consider the Gillette 1930s-1940s-1950s Techs to be the best Techs:
Gillette Tech/NEW Hybrid (England), #1 in my book! (Tough to find and can be expensive.)
Gillette #34 Tech (Germany)
Gillette Flat Bottom Tech (England)
Gillette Pre-war (Triangle) and Post-war (Oval) Fat Handle Tech (Canada and USA)
Gillette 1950s #24 Ball Handle Tech (England)
Above used with Timeless TRH6 Ti, RazoRock Halo Ti, TiBam, Bear's STP Ti, Maggard MR1 or Maggard MR11 handles.

These are my Top Tier Techs. :)

You can readily find Gillette Pre-war (Triangle) and Post-war (Oval) Fat Handle Tech (Canada and USA) in great shape for $15 - $30. These are GREAT razors. :)

YMMV :)

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Here is a British Flat Bottom Tech I purchased some time ago and never used. It’s in near mint condition, with the Bakelite case and paper insert in the lid. In honor of this thread, I’m going to shave with this right now. There will be no need to report back my shave results, as I already know they will be quite excellent! 😎

D9261C3D-8C16-41DB-A539-ECC754EE0243.jpeg

A3DF1C01-130D-46A7-96EE-B02E775C4231.jpeg

Here is a British Flat Bottom Tech I purchased some time ago and never used. It’s in near mint condition, with the Bakelite case and paper insert in the lid. In honor of this thread, I’m going to shave with this right now. There will be no need to report back my shave results, as I already know they will be quite excellent! 😎

View attachment 1093413

View attachment 1093414
Wow, that's really impressive, Brad! I've never seen one of those. I checked ebay last night and didn't see it on there.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

View attachment 1093413

View attachment 1093414
I love the English Flat Bottom Tech. 😍

You know that you are in for a wonderfully comfortable, effortless and close shave. :)

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Wow, that's really impressive, Brad! I've never seen one of those. I checked ebay last night and didn't see it on there.

You need to search for these. But they are there. Much more so than a Hybrid Tech or Toggle. If you keep an eye out, you will find them. Between the Flat Bottom Tech, the Flat Bottom New, and the pre-Gillette 7 O'Clock Flat Bottom razors, I have amassed a bunch of them. I even found a couple in the wild over the years. I wish you the best of luck finding one. It may be tough to find one cheap, but you will find one. If you want to go down a real rabbit hole, then start looking into the RFB's. :)

These are some of the more typical cases that come with the Flat Bottom sets. The one I posted above is a 1948 Tech Set No. 47. The cases show below are from the early 1940's through the end of that decade. Left to Right: Early 40's Tech set; Flat Bottom New (not sure if this is the correct case. Looks like a No 88 case); Fat handle Flat Bottom Tech; Pre-Gillette 7 O'Clock Flat Bottom New.

Flat Bottom Razors - 2020-04-29.jpg

You need to search for these. But they are there. Much more so than a Hybrid Tech or Toggle. If you keep an eye out, you will find them. Between the Flat Bottom Tech, the Flat Bottom New, and the pre-Gillette 7 O'Clock Flat Bottom razors, I have amassed a bunch of them. I even found a couple in the wild over the years. I wish you the best of luck finding one. It may be tough to find one cheap, but you will find one. If you want to go down a real rabbit hole, then start looking into the RFB's. :)

These are some of the more typical cases that come with the Flat Bottom sets. The one I posted above is a 1948 Tech Set No. 47. The cases show below are from the early 1940's through the end of that decade. Left to Right: Early 40's Tech set; Flat Bottom New (not sure if this is the correct case. Looks like a No 88 case); Fat handle Flat Bottom Tech; Pre-Gillette 7 O'Clock Flat Bottom New.

View attachment 1093514
Wow, these are great! Amazing shape and plating too. I have heard a lot of talk about the flat-bottoms and wondered about them. I do a LOT of ebay searching, but I guess my blind spot was "made in England". I wonder why the flat-bottoms are so scarce? Everyone seems to love them, yet they didn't continue producing them.

Top Bottom