What's new

GC .84OC vs Jaws .84OC vs Muhle R41?

I'm wondering if anyone has done a comparison between the GC .84OC, Jaws .84OC & Muhle R41? In particular I'd like to know if the Jaws .84OC is as aggressive as the Muhle R41 & how does the smoothness compare?

The R41 2013 was my go to daily razor for nearly a year with a nacet blade. Then I got a Jaws 84 and it seemed closer and smoother with the nacet blade.
Ended up selling my R41 as it just didn't get a look in. Then decided to try the OC 84 out of interest and found it smoother than the JAWS but just a touch milder. I also found the OC 84 worked better with a bic platinum chrome which is slightly sharper than the nacet for me.
So now I have stocked up with bic platinum chrome and nacet blades and just use the OC 84 & JAWS 84. Not looked at an other razor or blades since. I get 6 shaves out of the JAWS 84 nacet combo and 7 shaves out of the OC 84 and bic platinum chrome set up.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The .84 OC and JAWS are milder and smoother than the R41, worth less risk of injury and not as harsh.

The flip side is, the R41 can achieve making my skin feel like the marble of a statue of an antique god. It can achieve an even closer shave.

The GC 84 OC and JAWS are very similar in results, they give an excellent and close shave, with less risk of injury.

Of these two the OC is by far my favorite: the wide spacing of the teeth doesn't so anything good for me. Maybe one needs a really thick beard. For me it rather meant that the JAWS sawed off a bit of skin from my chin. While not really giving me a better result than the OC. If you want to go for the max possible, a R41 out rather a Husaria would be my choice.

The GC 84 in the other hand can be used with way less attention and give a very good shave as well.

The JAWS plate hasn't been used by me in a while. It has this cool name and looks, but as I tried to explain, I like the OC much more for reasons stated above. 😀

Edit: I very much second Beantin"s observations about the GC .84 plates.

I prefer the JAWS 84 over the OC. JAWS is smoother for me. The R41 is smooth until I go against the grain, tugs a bit but still doable. They are very close when it comes to efficiency given the proper blade. At some point I will get the R41 in stainless to see how it compares. I can use JAWS daily but not the R41. My daily driver is a Rex Ambassador.

The .84 OC and JAWS are milder and smoother than the R41, worth less risk of injury and not as harsh.

The flip side is, the R41 can achieve making my skin feel like the marble of a statue of an antique god. It can achieve an even closer shave.

The GC 84 OC and JAWS are very similar in results, they give an excellent and close shave, with less risk of injury.

Of these two the OC is by far my favorite: the wide spacing of the teeth doesn't so anything good for me. Maybe one needs a really thick beard. For me it rather meant that the JAWS sawed off a bit of skin from my chin. While not really giving me a better result than the OC. If you want to go for the max possible, a R41 out rather a Husaria would be my choice.

The GC 84 in the other hand can be used with way less attention and give a very good shave as well.
^^ This! ^^
Amen to ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING @Iridian stated above!

I prefer the JAWS 84 over the OC. JAWS is smoother for me. The R41 is smooth until I go against the grain, tugs a bit but still doable. They are very close when it comes to efficiency given the proper blade. At some point I will get the R41 in stainless to see how it compares. I can use JAWS daily but not the R41. My daily driver is a Rex Ambassador.
When the standard R41 was my go to daily razor I thought the Stainless R41GS was going to be my last razor Ha! Ha!
The R41GS ended up being the most disappointing razor I have ever bought. The one I got shaved nothing like the standard R41. I even contacted muhle as I thought it was a faulty head.
Ended up selling it and got a JAWS 84. Have not looked back since getting the JAWS 84 and GC OC 84 baseplate.

Last edited:
Please Beantin, could you give more details of why the Muhle R41 GS disappointed you. I love the standard R41 and thought about buying the stainless steel version but I'm not sure they are the same. I have also found people who prefer the chromed Zamak version to the stainless steel one. And of the razorock OCs, which one do you prefer and why, the JAWS 84 or the OC84. Thank you for your time in responding. Greetings

Please Beantin, could you give more details of why the Muhle R41 GS disappointed you. I love the standard R41 and thought about buying the stainless steel version but I'm not sure they are the same. I have also found people who prefer the chromed Zamak version to the stainless steel one. And of the razorock OCs, which one do you prefer and why, the JAWS 84 or the OC84. Thank you for your time in responding. Greetings
I found the R41GS is not the same as the zamak version and muhle admitted this. The blade in the SS GS seems to have very little curve in it when clamped which makes it not shave well for me. You have to be very careful with the GS or you will cut yourself a lot easier than the zamak R41. Also blades don't last as long in the GS compared to the zamak version.
Shaving daily which I normally do I prefer the RR OC 84 at the moment with either the Bic or nacet blade. For a few days grow the Jaws 84 is more efficient with a nacet. Find Bic blade is a bit too sharp in the Jaws and I often get the odd nick
If I was to just use one razor it would be the RR OC 84.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Steel has different friction, the weight is high and the handle a bit slippery.

I would suggest trying another handle, but regarding the blade being clamped differently or the head being different, or feeling different when shaving...

The claimed difference seem massively exaggerated. YMMV as always. Handle and weight were the only noticeable differences for me. The heads are made of different material but identical otherwise.

You have to be very careful with the GS or you will cut yourself a lot easier than the zamak R41. Also blades don't last as long in the GS compared to the zamak version.
Being a fan of both razors I respectfully can't confirm your findings wrt both statements.

IMHO neither the GS head is more agressive than the R41 standard (they share the same (high) level of agressiveness) nor could I find any significant difference in terms of blade wear amongst these razors.

For me, the main difference is the overall weight of the GS and the specs of the GS handle which for me have an impact on the shave quality ( I like the GS better).

One can "emulate" the feel of the GS if one attaches a heavy SS handle on the standard head. The GS shows better balance though.

If one is fine with the standard R41 there is literally no need to add a R41 GS.
But it is a imho reasonably priced offerering for a SS razor.ä if one is looking for a razor which might outlast his owner.

Shaving daily which I normally do I prefer the RR OC 84 at the moment with either the Bic or nacet blade.
No dispute in this point 😀 the GC .84 OC is a perfectly suited daily driver for me as well. The R41 (standard/GS) shaves way closer which might give reason to skip next day's shave.

Happy shaves!

Last edited:
Steel has different friction, the weight is high and the handle a bit slippery.

I would suggest trying another handle, but regarding the blade being clamped differently or the head being different, or feeling different when shaving...

The claimed difference seem massively exaggerated. YMMV as always. Handle and weight were the only noticeable differences for me. The heads are made of different material but identical otherwise.
I had high hopes for the GS as had been using the R41 Zamak for over a year as my daily. I even had 2 R41 heads and used them on RR handles (one for home and one for travel).
I just found THE R41GS not the same even on the RR handle. I thought mine was a faulty GS that's why I contacted muhle. I just got it is the same but it has a few differences from Muhle!? If you look at the heads from the side profile you can see a slight difference. In the end I tried the RR JAWS 84 and found it smooth and closer for me than the R41 Zamak. The JAWS also gave me double the blade life of the R41.
Most people say the R41 is more aggressive than the JAWS 84, but I would put it between the OC84 and JAWS 84.
I ended up selling the GS and even my R41 Zamak heads and got an RR OC 84. Never considered another razor since the oc 84 and JAWS 84. Your experience was very different to mine with the R41GS.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Never considered another razor since the oc 84 and JAWS 84. Your experience was very different to mine with the R41GS.
Definitely, I didn't find them much different. The R41 was the first razor I truly found effective and liked, wasn't a fan of my R89. I moved on after starting to read Badger & Blade.

Reading that you never considered another razor since the GC .84 OC and JAWS (I prefer the OC, didn't get much better of a shave with the JAWS, only a higher risk of a nick), don't forget that this is a forum of enablers! :)

(I am just throwing a few razors into the ring: Blackbird OC, Timeless Slim OC, the Greencult razor, Stando Chors and Alpha Shaving Outlaw. Smart Helix Apollo and Razorock Wunderbar aren't available in the next time, but the Lupo .95 or Lupo DC are perhaps an alternative to the Game Changers. Though I personally prefer the Game Changer line. You might also like the Tatara Masamune Nodachi OC.)

^ mission accomplished? Have fun!

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
What’s the difference between the Game Changer 84 open comb and the Jaws razors. The specs listed for the two are the same. Blade gap .84 mm, blade exposure positive.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Never mind. I looked at the images of the base plates. The Jaws plate has fewer teeth than the OC. I wonder how much of a difference that would make.

Top Bottom