What's new

Quick Alum Block Guide

Looks like a very handy holder and a quality cover. What was De Vergulde Hand selling in 1554? Shaving soap scented with spices from the Indies? Highly collectible razors? In any case, if The Gilded Hand has been doing business since the 16th century, it has survived some very turbulent times.

Yes quite an sturdy set up. The cover could probably be used as shelter during an bombing.

According to Wikipedia

The soap factory was founded in 1554, making it the oldest surviving soap factory in the world. She passed ownership several times. In 1609 Wijnand Pauw bought the company from Frederick de Vrij. In 1695 Jan Woltman (Johannes Waltman), an emigrant from Lüdinghausen, North Rhine-Westphalia, bought soap factory. After that, the hermitage remained in the family for a long time.

During the 18th century, the number of soap factories in Amsterdam declined rapidly, and after 1812 De vergulde Hand was the last remaining company of this kind. It was then called: Woltman Elpers. In 1920 the name changed to: C.A. Woltman Elpers De Vergulde Hand soap factory.

Yes quite an sturdy set up. The cover could probably be used as shelter during an bombing.

According to Wikipedia

The soap factory was founded in 1554, making it the oldest surviving soap factory in the world. She passed ownership several times. In 1609 Wijnand Pauw bought the company from Frederick de Vrij. In 1695 Jan Woltman (Johannes Waltman), an emigrant from Lüdinghausen, North Rhine-Westphalia, bought soap factory. After that, the hermitage remained in the family for a long time.

During the 18th century, the number of soap factories in Amsterdam declined rapidly, and after 1812 De vergulde Hand was the last remaining company of this kind. It was then called: Woltman Elpers. In 1920 the name changed to: C.A. Woltman Elpers De Vergulde Hand soap factory.

Thanks for the great update! My Wikipedia expedition just sidelined me on William I, the 80 Years War, and the Netherlands’ commercial/imperial expansion. I went back and found De Vergulde Hand in the English Wikipedia’s ‘List of oldest companies’, but there is no article for the company itself.

Your solution is probably more practical but I can't wait to take deliver if this vintage alum clamp. Scheduled to be mine at on upcoming gathering in April.

View attachment 1074078View attachment 1074079
That is awesome. I use these cheapies.
E8499A15-8AC8-4956-8C57-D727C64135A9.jpeg

I never thought about the visual aesthetics of an alum block until now. If I ever find an alum clamp, now I’ll have to get a beautiful rock to set it off. Like an engagement ring for traditional shaving!

Haha me neither. I whas searching for an replacement alum Block and the first one I bought at an local pharmacy whas to small and put to much strain on the clamp. Searching eBay for the right size let me to this one. It cost about 10 times more than the previous one but it fits beautifully and looks awesome.

Over 40 years old and got excited enough over an piece of salt to report about it on an shaving forum.. Koekoek

No rules on the best orientation of the rubber band.

You can say that again! I can't believe that it took me over two years to figure this one out. The orientation in the second photo makes for really easy holding and still results in plenty of surface area. I think I actually prefer the second orientation - makes we wonder if I will ever accidentally drop another block (knock on wood).

[I assume the discoloration is just a natural property of this block.]

20200411_191030590_iOS.jpg

20200411_191118738_iOS.jpg

You can say that again! I can't believe that it took me over two years to figure this one out. The orientation in the second photo makes for really easy holding and still results in plenty of surface area. I think I actually prefer the second orientation - makes we wonder if I will ever accidentally drop another block (knock on wood).

[I assume the discoloration is just a natural property of this block.]

View attachment 1088468

View attachment 1088469

Long perimeter, short perimeter, now the middle way, the one I haven’t tried! I will check it out.

One more way to mix it up. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom