What's new

Karve Diem

Will you be ordering a SS Karve?

• Yes

• No

• Later when the price drops

• I’m so torn...

Results are only viewable after voting.
Well there you go, sakaltras! Thank you, Felix G!

Thank you.
If I have to choose only one razor from my big collection the fight will be between two razors.
The Blackbird and Timeless Bronze0.78.
Both are unbelievable efficient and smooth razors. Also the craftsmanship is second to none.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you very much for your responses. I have a Blackland Dart but so far I was not very motivated to use it. I know it is a complete different animal than Blackbird.

I have them all. Blackbird is the best shaver without any question. Smooth and unbelievably efficient. Karve is also smooth but not so efficient even with G plate. R41 is one of the best shavers but not so smooth.
If I have to choose only one the Blackbird is the king.

Great comparison! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I have them all. Blackbird is the best shaver without any question. Smooth and unbelievably efficient. Karve is also smooth but not so efficient even with G plate. R41 is one of the best shavers but not so smooth.
If I have to choose only one the Blackbird is the king.

I completely concur with this. If you want a comparable shave to the R41 or Ikon Tech with regards to efficiency, but with much more of a smooth shave, add a shim to the Blackbird (Brass) razor.

I completely concur with this. If you want a comparable shave to the R41 or Ikon Tech with regards to efficiency, but with much more of a smooth shave, add a shim to the Blackbird (Brass) razor.

Tech is very efficient but not smooth at all.
Why you need a shim in a Blackbird?

Tech is very efficient but not smooth at all.
Why you need a shim in a Blackbird?

I just found I had to do a bit too many touch-ups with the Blackbird as I have quite a coarse beard, so I wanted to find a way to keep the smoothness of it with a bit more efficiency to mitigate the irritation and thought to try a shim, and to my wonderful surprise, it was exactly what I had been looking for. This way, I only have to perform two passes with a bit of touch-ups and I get the closest shaves I have gotten without sacrificing anything. I even do this with the Blackbird OC base-plates even though I prefer the SB plates. :)

I just found I had to do a bit too many touch-ups with the Blackbird as I have quite a coarse beard, so I wanted to find a way to keep the smoothness of it with a bit more efficiency to mitigate the irritation and thought to try a shim, and to my wonderful surprise, it was exactly what I had been looking for. This way, I only have to perform two passes with a bit of touch-ups and I get the closest shaves I have gotten without sacrificing anything. I even do this with the Blackbird OC base-plates even though I prefer the SB plates. :)

I understand. Do you put the shim below or above the blade? Is this a wide one?
It may be interesting to try.
Also what angle you prefer. For me the most comfortable and efficient is the shallow angle, riding the cap or the build in angle of the head.

I've just purchased a brass Karve CB with the OC-D plate, and had a couple of great shaves with a Polsilver SI blade. Love the razor, but I am wondering what other blades people might recommend if they have this SPECIFIC rig? I have Feather, Nacet, and Polsilver SI available right now, plus Kai and Personna Blue arriving any day now.

The only person who can give you a good accurate answer to that question... is you .

Or, if you were to find someone else with exactly the same hair type, density, skin type, skin elasticity, shaving technique, lather technique , etc., then you could listen to their advice and it would be worth something.

unfortunately , since that is not really all that possible , I'm afraid the only thing any of us can do is try different blades for ourselves, to see how they work for us. There are just too many variables at play for one person to give another person meaningful advice about what blade will work for them.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the Kai. I have Karve in brass and like Gillette silver blue blade or Green or Yellow. But I've never tried a Kai.

Or, if you were to find someone else with exactly the same hair type, density, skin type, skin elasticity, shaving technique, lather technique , etc., then you could listen to their advice and it would be worth something.
Yeah, I get all that...
I'll rephrase my query.
If you use a brass Karve CB with the OC-D plate, what blade do you generally prefer?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Can't assist with the OC-D plate but I do have (and use) the SB-C and SB-D plates.

I've had good luck using the SB-C with Kai and Voskhod blades and the SB-D with Wizamet Super Iridium Blades.

Hope this helps.

When using a shim(s), in general, it should be under the cutting DE blade when you have assembled your razor and are ready to shave. This will increase the 'gap'/'efficiency' of the razor, for a lack of better terms.
Honestly, I have never given much thought to the angle that I use and I just intuitively use what seems to work best, for me. However, I do find myself using a shallower angle, in general.

When using a shim(s), in general, it should be under the cutting DE blade when you have assembled your razor and are ready to shave. This will increase the 'gap'/'efficiency' of the razor, for a lack of better terms.
Honestly, I have never given much thought to the angle that I use and I just intuitively use what seems to work best, for me. However, I do find myself using a shallower angle, in general.

Thanks

Top Bottom