Cream
Suezbana Lemon&TeaTree
Bowl Kitchen Ceramic
Brush Yaqi 24mm 2BandSilvertip
Razor Gillette Tech
Blade Gillette Winner 4th
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Clubman Whisky Wood
1st time using a homemade pre-shave oil. Lathering in the bowl produces a luxurious thick lather. Nice lavender scent. Shave with razor and blade pairing was excellent. Sharpish and smooth. Perhaps due to pre-shave...extra smooth. As result able to be more diagonal xtg on the neck.
3+1pass WTG, XTG & XTG/ATG + atg. No weepers nor irritation today. Ice water rinse followed by special Thayers.
BBS result and rating of 9.8/10
20200408_094857.jpg

20200408_115746.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SOTD, Wed April 8th 2020

Razor : Enders Speed shaver- MFG 1940's-55
Blade : Schick pro-line B-20 (2)with a modified Enders blade carrier.
Soap: Razorock "The Dead Sea"
Brush : Yaqi Rainbow brown whiskers 26mm- a joy to use in the morning!
Pre shave: Brush wash my face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep : cold water rinse after each pass of 2.
Post shave: Razorock The Dead Sea aftershave with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea for men balm.
Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: Great shave with a flash from the past!

SOTD,April 8th 2020 (2).jpg

Have a great shave!

Today's shave is a return to Phoenix Shaving CK -6 based soap but with a Yaqi 28 mm synthetic brush. Lots of lather. The razor: a Wolfman WR2 SB 1.05 mm loaded with a Personna Medical Prep blade. The blade has been used for six shaves. The aftershave today is the usual Thayers Rose Petal WH followed by Neutrogena Triple Protect. After a shower some Jimmy Choo Man Intense frag. Despite what the caption says, it's Wednesday's shave. Had to get up extra early this a.m. and was half asleep when I did the photo!

Thursdays Shave BW.jpg

Last edited:
A great post bike ride shave this morning. Thanks to @Hannah's Dad for turning me onto the Gillette Goodwill #160. It is, along with my Gillette New SC, the easiest, smoothest and most satisfying vintage razor for shave quality. It is not the most visually appealing razor to look at in any light, but the shave is terrific. I think I may have it re-plated in 2021. I like it that much.

Razor: Gillette Goodwill #160
Blade: Gillette Nacet
Soap: Martin de Candre Agrumes (a terrific warm weather lather)
Brush: Omega Jade "Persian Jar" Boar
Aftershave: Captain's Choice Cat O' Nine Tails Bay Rum
A Little Hula Girl​

IMG_4817.jpeg

Razor: Timeless Bronze TRBR38
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Pinaud Lilac Vegetal
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
20200315_113914.jpg

Well I really wanted something tropical or at least more Summerish. So it was a toss up between CBL Ghost Pineapple or Stirling Weekend in Malibu. WiM by a slight margin. It really is a great scent with some coconut, pineapple and all sorts of other tropical notes. If Malibu smells this good I can see why you would want to hang out there!

Razor of the day is the Colonial General SS SE. decided to try a new blade today from a sampler I got awhile back. Up until now it has been Schick Proline AC or Feather AC. So today I tried out the Kai Captain Original. Very enjoyable and put them on par with the Feather for sharpness but a tad smoother. The Proline is still the smoothest I have used and it is a joy to use. Got a bunch more to try!

The brush today is special and it comes from Wild West Brushworks. It’s called the “Kingston” for obvious reasons. I was quite proud to use it on our last trip to Jamaica. Derek Wheeler and his family lost their home and workshop to a fire right before Christmas 2019. Such a great guy. Hope you’re safe and back on your feet soon!

Three pass BBS shave. Topped it off with the matching WiM AS and some English Laundry Tahitian Waters EDP. Well my face smells like it’s on vacation. Until we meet again Mai Tai!

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Colonial General SS
Blade: Kai Captain Original
Brush: Wild West Brushworks 24mm Boss - Kingston
Lather: Stirling Weekend in Malibu
Aftershave: Stirling Weekend in Malibu
Additional Care:
B.I.G. Co. Alum Block
English Laundry Tahitian Waters
A5F05199-DED3-4D56-BE76-0B9C576F09C9.jpeg

DA333045-6E05-46DF-BBCD-D69CCB966C5C.jpeg

SOTD 04/08/2020

A man can definitely become addicted to the delightful velveteen feeling smooth skin arising from a barber close BBS shave. The truth underlying any safety razor is that it really is nothing more than a blade holder. The transition many make from safety razor to shavette to straight arises for a variety of reasons. There’s the danger coupled with the mastery of technique of straight edge open shaving. There’s the connection to our past and the history of shaving dating back to the Egyptians. Then there’s just the feeling of belonging to a small select club. But most importantly, it’s that feeling of shaving mastery, understanding shaving angle and the accompanying skin stretching required for a great shave that contributes to the improvement of safety razor shaving. In my case a neurological condition prohibits my joining the open edge family.

Safety razor designers can attempt to engineer blade angle and blade exposure into their blade holders, but technique still reigns supreme. The safety razor shavers’ acronym, “YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY (YMMV)”, exemplifies the role technique plays. But is that all there is to it? I own a variety of vintage and modern artisan safety razors, and can elicit a decent shave from all of them, but there are certain razors that that just seem to perform better for me within certain blade parameters. For example, my Rex Ambassador shaves beautifully with Wizamets or Voskhods, not so much with Feathers or Nacets. Whereas my AS-D2 and Occam’s DE reform best with Feathers or Nacets, and not so much with Voskhods or Wizamets. When it comes to my SE razors, of which I own many, my favorite DE SE, the G.E. Jones Shake Sharp performs best with any stacked DE blade, but the blades of choice for my smoothest and closest shave are Sunekos.

I can achieve a BBS shave with any of my razors, but have recently discovered that the closest barber-level BBS is best achieved with a Feather Super blade in any of my SE AC blade holders. Today’s one and a half pass BBS was delivered through my newest SE AC razor ordered back in December of 2019, the Colonial General V2. What I most love about this razor is the sense of effortless competence I experience when shaving with it. It truly feels like I’m just sweeping away the lather. The Feather Super blade is incredibly sharp, but the balance and weight of the razor in hand allows for old, shaky me to exert negative pressure with no effort. So much so, in fact, that there is no audible or tactile feel of the blade cutting. I will always insist on Feather Super Blades in future AC SE shaves. I truly enjoy shaving both face and noggin with this razor. I feel clean, velveteen smooth, and refreshed.

RAZOR: Colonial General V2 in 316L SS
BLADE: Feather Super AC
PREP: Cold water rinse
BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T-400 with 26mm Silvertip Badger Knot
SOAP: Pannacrema Nuavia Blu
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Fine Fresh Vetiver AS Splash

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
View attachment 1084277

SOTD 04/08/2020

A man can definitely become addicted to the delightful velveteen feeling smooth skin arising from a barber close BBS shave. The truth underlying any safety razor is that it really is nothing more than a blade holder. The transition many make from safety razor to shavette to straight arises for a variety of reasons. There’s the danger coupled with the mastery of technique of straight edge open shaving. There’s the connection to our past and the history of shaving dating back to the Egyptians. Then there’s just the feeling of belonging to a small select club. But most importantly, it’s that feeling of shaving mastery, understanding shaving angle and the accompanying skin stretching required for a great shave that contributes to the improvement of safety razor shaving. In my case a neurological condition prohibits my joining the open edge family.

Safety razor designers can attempt to engineer blade angle and blade exposure into their blade holders, but technique still reigns supreme. The safety razor shavers’ acronym, “YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY (YMMV)”, exemplifies the role technique plays. But is that all there is to it? I own a variety of vintage and modern artisan safety razors, and can elicit a decent shave from all of them, but there are certain razors that that just seem to perform better for me within certain blade parameters. For example, my Rex Ambassador shaves beautifully with Wizamets or Voskhods, not so much with Feathers or Nacets. Whereas my AS-D2 and Occam’s DE reform best with Feathers or Nacets, and not so much with Voskhods or Wizamets. When it comes to my SE razors, of which I own many, my favorite DE SE, the G.E. Jones Shake Sharp performs best with any stacked DE blade, but the blades of choice for my smoothest and closest shave are Sunekos.

I can achieve a BBS shave with any of my razors, but have recently discovered that the closest barber-level BBS is best achieved with a Feather Super blade in any of my SE AC blade holders. Today’s one and a half pass BBS was delivered through my newest SE AC razor ordered back in December of 2019, the Colonial General V2. What I most love about this razor is the sense of effortless competence I experience when shaving with it. It truly feels like I’m just sweeping away the lather. The Feather Super blade is incredibly sharp, but the balance and weight of the razor in hand allows for old, shaky me to exert negative pressure with no effort. So much so, in fact, that there is no audible or tactile feel of the blade cutting. I will always insist on Feather Super Blades in future AC SE shaves. I truly enjoy shaving both face and noggin with this razor. I feel clean, velveteen smooth, and refreshed.

RAZOR: Colonial General V2 in 316L SS
BLADE: Feather Super AC
PREP: Cold water rinse
BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T-400 with 26mm Silvertip Badger Knot
SOAP: Pannacrema Nuavia Blu
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Fine Fresh Vetiver AS Splash
Great narrative!

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
WEDNESDAY, 8 April 2020

Pre
: Elegance Plus "Earth" gel
Lather: Body Shop Maca Root cream
Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket Synth
Bowl: Nubbed silicone dog feeder
Razor: Oristo
Blade: Derby Premium (1)
Balm: CeraVe
Frag: Paco Rabanne One Million*

*First use with a tester.
Not sure if I like the peppermint notes.
(I used to work in the Chiclet factory summers
during college and grew to hate the smell of peppermint.

May end up spraying it on my car's ignition wires to keep mice away.)

Stay healthy, everyone.

Wednesday 4/8/2020

Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic
Martin de Candre Original Soap
Myrsol K Aftershave
Feather AS-D2
Feather All Stainless Blade

MdC has impressed me from the beginning with how easy it is to get a yogurt consistency lather built. That ease is compounded with the synthetic brush.
I just received the Myrsol K, and this was my second shave with it. I’m in love with how it leaves the skin feeling, although I wish the scent stuck around longer. The scent is a tidal wave of menthol goodness. The scent doesn’t stay long but the skin feels great all day. Time to get different variants of Myrsol.
This was my first use of the AS-D2 razor, scored it online for $100 gently used in box. It pairs very well with the feather blade and as everyone consistently says about the razor; it is very mild and pleasant.

Attachments

• 92317296_10157013627526080_9162743462460653568_o.jpg
    92317296_10157013627526080_9162743462460653568_o.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 14
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom