What's new

Dudley's Dollar

Hi! I'm visiting from the DE world, so I'm a bit intimidated! I'm 52 years old, and have moved near my 78 year old mother to take care of her. We were talking today and I spoke a bit about how much I enjoy shaving. She told me to wait a minute, and went to her room. She brought back this razor, which she says belonged to my Great Grandfather. I've searched the brand name, finding nothing. My world is DE shaving. I know nothing about Straights. My question for you gentlemen is, can anybody tell me anything about this razor? Thank you in advance for any info at all!
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Can you make up what is written on the tang?
Boxes were sometimes reused and it is not uncommon to find vintage razors in mismatch boxes.

Can you make up what is written on the tang?
Boxes were sometimes reused and it is not uncommon to find vintage razors in mismatch boxes.
I hit it with some bar keeper's friend and revealed what looks like, "LR TORREY RAZOR Co Worcester Mass"
proxy.php

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
It doesn't look too bad. With a bit of a cleanup that could be your introduction to the gentlemanly art of SR shaving!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
It's a J.R. Torrey, a well respected brand made in Worcester, MA probably turn of the century or a bit before, I am guessing. Looks okay, could be honed and you would have a nice heirloom for shaving or for display.

It's a J.R. Torrey, a well respected brand made in Worcester, MA probably turn of the century or a bit before, I am guessing. Looks okay, could be honed and you would have a nice heirloom for shaving or for display.
Thanks for the info! Now I just need to research restoration. This is going to be fun!

That will be a beautiful razor once you restore it, & to be fair it's not that hard once you get the hang of it. You can head over to Here What's on your workbench right now? loads of useful info, and if you ask the members will help you through it so it ends up like this one that looks like yours...

8.jpg

That's how it started when I got it and this is how it finished up using no power tools, all done by hand apart from a band saw to cut new scales out

20191103_203717.jpg

So yes you have a beautiful razor there Sir!!!

It is always amazing, at least to me, to have something from a relative, especially a father, grandparent, great grandparent, etc. That looks like a great razor and I agree with other who mentioned it should clean up quite nicely.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Thanks for the info! Now I just need to research restoration. This is going to be fun!

Just because it is a family heirloom and therefore not directly replaceable, you probably should get some practice on other, more expendable razors first. But after that, sure, DIY restoration is quite practical. And I agree with @rbscebu, you should keep the original scales, especially if they are horn. Try not to crack them or damage them when unpinning the razor. You can sand, polish, oil them, and make them look quite handsome. if you replace them, consider horn even though it can be a PITA to work with. It would be more period-appropriate. If you go modern, I suggest something nicer than plain acrylic, maybe a nice laminate or some ebony or ziricote. Just because the razor has special meaning for you.

That is a good razor. Given the personal value to you and that you have not restored razors before, not a bad idea to send to someone to restore. I don’t imagine most folks would charge too much given not much seems to be needed. Doc226 does a great job but I think having home remodel and not taking orders at the moment. Probably worth the wait though.

Thank you all for your kind response to my inquiry! I'm definitely going to get it restored. It might make sense for me to start out with a shavettes to learn my technique and save this razor to use once my chops are up to snuff. Again, I really appreciate the supportive posts!

I started with a shavette. However, I wouldn't bother if I could do it again. I think it would be just as easy to go right to a straight razor.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom