What's new

Colognes you've used with La Toja?

Citrusy

I’ve enjoyed T&H 1805 with La Tojo!

911686BB-39DA-4831-9A5E-8F47066952E2.jpeg

Aftershaves I've used include:
- RR American Barber (YSL Rive Gauche clone)
- RR Santa Maria del Fiore (SMN Tobacco Tuscano clone)
- RR Dead Sea (Lemon, Rosemary, Saffron, Sea salts)
- Speick

Although I have not tried the aftershave, Razorock has a soap called Saturnia that smells quite a lot like La Toja with a bit of sulfur such as you might get from a hot spring. There is a matching aftershave. Don't worry, the sulfur is not very strong.

Last edited:
:oops:
That is probably why Saturnia did not exactly fly off the shelves. It reminds me of an actual hot spring which to me is pleasant and relaxing. But, say the word "sulfur" and everyone runs away.

Relax. I looked it up on the Italian Barber website. The Saturnia aftershave splash does not contain any sulfur minerals. It is more of an herbal scent. Imagine you are spending time at the spa.
:lol1:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Citrusy

I’ve enjoyed T&H 1805 with La Tojo!

View attachment 1081502
Aftershaves I've used include:
- RR American Barber (YSL Rive Gauche clone)
- RR Santa Maria del Fiore (SMN Tobacco Tuscano clone)
- RR Dead Sea (Lemon, Rosemary, Saffron, Sea salts)
- Speick

Although I have not tried the aftershave, Razorock has a soap called Saturnia that smells quite a lot like La Toja with a bit of sulfur such as you might get from a hot spring. There is a matching aftershave. Don't worry, the sulfur is not very strong.
Scent wise?

I don't find La Toja strong enough in smell to dictate my choice of aftershave or cologne. I treat it like an unscented soap and use whatever cologne strikes my fancy.

My apologies for not clarifying.

I'm asking about Colognes that complement the La Toja Aftershave Lotion.
20200216_110655~2.jpg

From time to time, I like to layer a compatible Cologne post Aftershave - usually just before leaving the house.

Have not tried it yet with La Toja AS and figured I'd seek opinions from the assembled Fragrance Cognoscenti. :)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My apologies for not clarifying.

I'm asking about Colognes that complement the La Toja Aftershave Lotion.
View attachment 1081689
From time to time, I like to layer a compatible Cologne post Aftershave - usually just before leaving the house.

Have not tried it yet with La Toja AS and figured I'd seek opinions from the assembled Fragrance Cognoscenti. :)
I probably started the confusion! I've never tried either, because I didn't know that there was an aftershave! Sorry all.

Scent wise?

I don't find La Toja strong enough in smell to dictate my choice of aftershave or cologne. I treat it like an unscented soap and use whatever cologne strikes my fancy.
Same boat. The scent just doesn't linger enough to affect my choice. But if I had to choose, maybe Tommy or Tommy Bahama St. Barts.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

There’s not much out there that is close to La Toja in scent. Plus, by the time one gets dressed and gets ready to head out the door, it’s practically gone. Any cologne will work as the La Toja scent does not interfere with any family of scents be it an Aromatic, Fougere, Oriental or Aquatic. The mineral salts, slight menthol and light fragrance are absorbed quickly and dissipates rather quickly.

2 ways you can go about this.

Make your own La Toja based fragrance with an enhancer.

1. Buy yourself some ISO E Super (online, Amazon, beauty suppliers, etc. Relatively cheap for an ounce) . Get yourself some empty spray bottles at a Dollar Store and start mixing La Toja with the ISO E Super. Trial and error here and go light to make sure you don’t have a reaction to the synthetic aroma chemical.

2. Purchasing cologne. These are not identical but, they have that clean freshness to them with that sort of oak moss & mineral type vibe that’s a bit on the sweeter side.

A. Preferred Stock by Coty. An oldie but a goodie, and still relatively cheap. Clean, musk, oak moss, patchouli, lavender with a nice vetiver dry down. Dirt cheap and you can spray as much as you like.

B. Lagerfeld Photo by Karl Lagerfeld. This is a hidden gem. Close to the one above but, better quality and longevity. Vintage if you can but, newer ones will do. Price can vary depending on vintage.

C. Hugo Boss Reversed. More contemporary but, still has that mineral like type oak moss because of the Haitian Vetiver in the dry down. A nice bergamot & grapefruit opening that is easy, not explosive or juicy. The drydown is worth the wait. $25-$40 if you search from discounters.

D. Hugo Boss Extreme. Same as Reversed above but, it includes a bit of a green herbaceous vibe that includes lavender, cedar and fir resins to give it a bit more of a woods vibe. Still a clean and fresh scent that somehow manages to produce an oak moss type accord, just a bit sweeter. $25-$40 from online discounters.

Like I stated previously, the 4 fragrances that I’ve posted are not identical to La Toja but, they’ll get you in the ballpark and a couple are quite close especially Lagerfeld Photo & HB Reversed.

Good luck......

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
There’s not much out there that is close to La Toja in scent. Plus, by the time one gets dressed and gets ready to head out the door, it’s practically gone. Any cologne will work as the La Toja scent does not interfere with any family of scents be it an Aromatic, Fougere, Oriental or Aquatic. The mineral salts, slight menthol and light fragrance are absorbed quickly and dissipates rather quickly.

2 ways you can go about this.

Make your own La Toja based fragrance with an enhancer.

1. Buy yourself some ISO E Super (online, Amazon, beauty suppliers, etc. Relatively cheap for an ounce) . Get yourself some empty spray bottles at a Dollar Store and start mixing La Toja with the ISO E Super. Trial and error here and go light to make sure you don’t have a reaction to the synthetic aroma chemical.

2. Purchasing cologne. These are not identical but, they have that clean freshness to them with that sort of oak moss & mineral type vibe that’s a bit on the sweeter side.

A. Preferred Stock by Coty. An oldie but a goodie, and still relatively cheap. Clean, musk, oak moss, patchouli, lavender with a nice vetiver dry down. Dirt cheap and you can spray as much as you like.

B. Lagerfeld Photo by Karl Lagerfeld. This is a hidden gem. Close to the one above but, better quality and longevity. Vintage if you can but, newer ones will do. Price can vary depending on vintage.

C. Hugo Boss Reversed. More contemporary but, still has that mineral like type oak moss because of the Haitian Vetiver in the dry down. A nice bergamot & grapefruit opening that is easy, not explosive or juicy. The drydown is worth the wait. $25-$40 if you search from discounters.

D. Hugo Boss Extreme. Same as Reversed above but, it includes a bit of a green herbaceous vibe that includes lavender, cedar and fir resins to give it a bit more of a woods vibe. Still a clean and fresh scent that somehow manages to produce an oak moss type accord, just a bit sweeter. $25-$40 from online discounters.

Like I stated previously, the 4 fragrances that I’ve posted are not identical to La Toja but, they’ll get you in the ballpark and a couple are quite close especially Lagerfeld Photo & HB Reversed.

Good luck......

HUGE thank you! This is exactly what I was hoping to learn. :)

Ordered the Preferred Stock by Coty and the Lagerfeld Photo by Karl Lagerfeld to start. :)

Last edited:
La Toja has a pretty pronounced hit of ionones (violet). Grey Flannel for autumn and winter (or year round if you like mossy stuff), Green Irish Tweed for the rest of the year (or one of the copycats if you don't want to spend that much).

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
La Toja has a pretty pronounced hit of ionones (violet). Grey Flannel for autumn and winter (or year round if you like mossy stuff), Green Irish Tweed for the rest of the year (or one of the copycats if you don't want to spend that much).

Thank you very much! :)

Top Bottom