First Class Citizen
SATURDAY, 4 April 2020

Pre: Elegance Plus "Earth" gel
Lather: Stirling Eskimo Tuxedo*
Brush: H.I.S Synth*
Bowl: Nubbed silicone dog feeder
Razor: Mamba 70
Blade: Nacet (7)
Splash: Homebrew (WH/Glycerin/Pinaud Lime Sec/Jojoba)
Balm: CeraVe
Frag: Vera Wang Look**
*Down to the bitter end of the soap,
so I used my stiffest brush.
(I have three H.I.S brushes;
this one has a killer backbone.)

**Nominally. a woman's frag,
but, hey, I like it. Very dry.

Stay healthy, everyone.

Zingari Man | The Blacksmith
Leo Frilot Tru-Stone Copper Matrix | AP Shave Co. SynBad 30mm
The New Improved Schick Injector Razor | Personna 74
Bulgari Man | In Black

proxy.php

The Blacksmith is an r/Wetshaving exclusive and my first experience with a Zingari Man product. In terms of fragrance, it's inspired by the popular men's fragrance Bulgari Man In Black. I blind bought both The Blacksmith and In Black at the same time since the profile (amber, spices, rum, leather, guaiac wood) would very likely be in my wheelhouse. The Blacksmith arrived several days before In Black, so I spent a few days applying the matching Zingari Sego After Shave Balm as a post-shower moisturizer. I'm really impressed with The Blacksmith's fragrance. The soap and balm smell the same to my nose, and I feel like the soap is lightly scented which seems appropriate for this kind of fragrance. An authentic warm, weathered leather is a prevailing undercurrent, but it never overrides the other notes. A dark, spiced rum with judicious sweetness makes a respectable sustained presence. For you rum-heads, think smoky Brugal Leyenda as opposed to syrupy Captain Morgan Private Stock. Otherwise The Blacksmith allows the booze to burn off, leaving a bed of spicy warm amber in the dry down. And that dry down lasts just a little bit longer than it takes to get dressed. Certainly, a balm is never intended to be a fragrance offering any notable longevity, but it absolutely left me anticipating the Bulgari EdP that influenced it.

Unfortunately, Bulgari Man In Black is a bit of a disappointment. The leather just smells fake. The spiced rum is done well, but I detect a musty iris note that I do not experience in the Zingari The Blacksmith balm or soap. It's almost as if Bulgari is trying to impart musk while being determined to avoid anything animalic. This is purely subjective, of course, and I admit both iris and orris have been a personal point of contention with other fragrances. The bottom line is, while The Blacksmith and In Black share similarities, I find The Blacksmith to be a more pleasant fragrance. In the future, I will probably complement this set with Zoologist's Rhinoceros.

In terms of performance, Zingari Man's Sego tallow base is immediately competitive with the top artisan soaps. Customary preliminary test lathers reveal this base demands relatively large amounts of water. Anything short of this yields a serviceable, dense lather, albeit suboptimal. At this stage, you can almost double the water to experience a truly luxurious, creamy, glistening lather. In practice, Sego is remarkably slick on my skin but it doesn't carry over to slippery gear as can sometimes be problematic for a shower shaver with an all-metal razor. Residual slickness is equally impressive, permitting low-risk revisiting of areas devoid of visible lather. Not surprisingly, the post-shave is very nice as well, making a post product redundant.

I'll probably always prefer splashes---alcohol or otherwise---over balms, but the Sego balm is an extraordinary product. As previously noted, I used this balm for a few days prior to using the soap. The results on non-shave days clearly make my stubble softer, but also make my skin feel the same way it feels when I've just shaved with the Sego soap. For best results, your skin should be fairly damp as you apply a very small amount of balm. I found a single-pump dose was more than adequate to cover my scalp, face, and neck. I assume face-only shavers may need to distribute the excess to their arms and hands which is hardly a negative.

Speaking of negatives, I always have to do this unfortunate part with my inaugural use of an artisan's product. Fortunately, these are minor. The balm pump mechanism is finicky. Initially, I could not get it to prime. In fact, with my first two uses, I had to remove the pump and apply the product directly from the stem. Ultimately, I fiddled with it, disassembled it, and finally got it working correctly. The soap's label seems to have fallen victim to shipment and handling battle wounds as evidenced by scratches, feathered edges, and scuffs. Had the art been a lighter color, it would not have been so photogenic. As it is, the faux texturing in the image obscures these imperfections with some biased photography. (The balm's label is flawless, by the way.) See, I told you they were minor.

Overall, I'm very pleased with my introduction to Zingari Man products both in terms of fragrance execution and performance. I congratulate r/wetshaving for using your platform to introduce this artisan to more wet shavers.

Zingari Man | The Blacksmith
Leo Frilot Tru-Stone Copper Matrix | AP Shave Co. SynBad 30mm
The New Improved Schick Injector Razor | Personna 74
Bulgari Man | In Black

proxy.php

The Blacksmith is an r/Wetshaving exclusive and my first experience with a Zingari Man product. In terms of fragrance, it's inspired by the popular men's fragrance Bulgari Man In Black. I blind bought both The Blacksmith and In Black at the same time since the profile (amber, spices, rum, leather, guaiac wood) would very likely be in my wheelhouse. The Blacksmith arrived several days before In Black, so I spent a few days applying the matching Zingari Sego After Shave Balm as a post-shower moisturizer. I'm really impressed with The Blacksmith's fragrance. The soap and balm smell the same to my nose, and I feel like the soap is lightly scented which seems appropriate for this kind of fragrance. An authentic warm, weathered leather is a prevailing undercurrent, but it never overrides the other notes. A dark, spiced rum with judicious sweetness makes a respectable sustained presence. For you rum-heads, think smoky Brugal Leyenda as opposed to syrupy Captain Morgan Private Stock. Otherwise The Blacksmith allows the booze to burn off, leaving a bed of spicy warm amber in the dry down. And that dry down lasts just a little bit longer than it takes to get dressed. Certainly, a balm is never intended to be a fragrance offering any notable longevity, but it absolutely left me anticipating the Bulgari EdP that influenced it.

Unfortunately, Bulgari Man In Black is a bit of a disappointment. The leather just smells fake. The spiced rum is done well, but I detect a musty iris note that I do not experience in the Zingari The Blacksmith balm or soap. It's almost as if Bulgari is trying to impart musk while being determined to avoid anything animalic. This is purely subjective, of course, and I admit both iris and orris have been a personal point of contention with other fragrances. The bottom line is, while The Blacksmith and In Black share similarities, I find The Blacksmith to be a more pleasant fragrance. In the future, I will probably complement this set with Zoologist's Rhinoceros.

In terms of performance, Zingari Man's Sego tallow base is immediately competitive with the top artisan soaps. Customary preliminary test lathers reveal this base demands relatively large amounts of water. Anything short of this yields a serviceable, dense lather, albeit suboptimal. At this stage, you can almost double the water to experience a truly luxurious, creamy, glistening lather. In practice, Sego is remarkably slick on my skin but it doesn't carry over to slippery gear as can sometimes be problematic for a shower shaver with an all-metal razor. Residual slickness is equally impressive, permitting low-risk revisiting of areas devoid of visible lather. Not surprisingly, the post-shave is very nice as well, making a post product redundant.

I'll probably always prefer splashes---alcohol or otherwise---over balms, but the Sego balm is an extraordinary product. As previously noted, I used this balm for a few days prior to using the soap. The results on non-shave days clearly make my stubble softer, but also make my skin feel the same way it feels when I've just shaved with the Sego soap. For best results, your skin should be fairly damp as you apply a very small amount of balm. I found a single-pump dose was more than adequate to cover my scalp, face, and neck. I assume face-only shavers may need to distribute the excess to their arms and hands which is hardly a negative.

Speaking of negatives, I always have to do this unfortunate part with my inaugural use of an artisan's product. Fortunately, these are minor. The balm pump mechanism is finicky. Initially, I could not get it to prime. In fact, with my first two uses, I had to remove the pump and apply the product directly from the stem. Ultimately, I fiddled with it, disassembled it, and finally got it working correctly. The soap's label seems to have fallen victim to shipment and handling battle wounds as evidenced by scratches, feathered edges, and scuffs. Had the art been a lighter color, it would not have been so photogenic. As it is, the faux texturing in the image obscures these imperfections with some biased photography. (The balm's label is flawless, by the way.) See, I told you they were minor.

Overall, I'm very pleased with my introduction to Zingari Man products both in terms of fragrance execution and performance. I congratulate r/wetshaving for using your platform to introduce this artisan to more wet shavers.

Looks like a nice shave. As for Bulgari MIB, I own it and actually enjoy it, and I'm another person who does not like iris in fragrances. In MIB, I really don't detect the iris. Sorry you don't enjoy it!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Fri 3rd SOTD
Soap Catie's BubblesOcean Grove
Bowl Red Nubs
Brush Yaqi 28mm Synthetic
Razor Gillette Red Tip
Blade SuperMax BlueDiamond 1
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Old Spice Lime
Load from soap tub and working it in the nubs bowl results in a nice creamy lather. Scent is mild oceany like. Reasonably slick. Shave with razor and new blade was good combo. Hardly feel any blade....it was smooth & sharpish. Tried more diagonal atg but suffered 2 weepers. 3+1pass WTG, XTG/ATG, ATG + atg. Refreshing ice water rinse followed by special Thayers.
BBS results with rating of 9/10
View attachment 1082079
View attachment 1082080
You make some of the best lather pictures on line IMO. Big D also likes to make stellar lather also. I do enjoy the effort you guys put into lathering.

Looks like a nice shave. As for Bulgari MIB, I own it and actually enjoy it, and I'm another person who does not like iris in fragrances. In MIB, I really don't detect the iris. Sorry you don't enjoy it!

I don't dislike it altogether. It's just that Blacksmith had my nose set for something that In Black didn't quite meet. Weird that it worked out that way. I'm obviously very, VERY happy to have the Zingari Man products, though. It's good stuff.

I don't dislike it altogether. It's just that Blacksmith had my nose set for something that In Black didn't quite meet. Weird that it worked out that way. I'm obviously very, VERY happy to have the Zingari Man products, though. It's good stuff.

I recently received The Nomad from Zingari, and it is truly excellent stuff. Enjoy!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
860F2960-37B8-4882-8D5B-701A19BD3344.jpeg
1) Germany: Pre-Shave Nivea Arctic Freeze pre-wash and Shave Gel.
2) England: Brush Progress Vulfix mixed Badger and Boar.
3) Germany: Shaving Cream Nivea Men Sensitive.
4) Greece: Razor BIC Flex 4.
5) Germany: Aftershave Splash Nivea Men Sensitive.
6) China: Alum Block.
7) USA: Lather Bowl Captain’s Choice Copper Lather Bowl.

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
Sunday‌ ‌04.05.20‌ ‌SOTD‌

DSCF0006 - Edited.jpg

Gillette British Aristocrat #66 in case
Personna‌ ‌Platinum‌ ‌Chrome‌ ‌Israeli‌ ‌Red‌ ‌(4)‌
Maggard 22mm Aluminum Handle 2-Band Badger
Pre de Provence shave soap
Pre de Provence Sante Green Tea

DSCF0007 - Edited.jpg

You make some of the best lather pictures on line IMO. Big D also likes to make stellar lather also. I do enjoy the effort you guys put into lathering.
Hey, thanks for your appreciation! I am glad you enjoyed it. It's a great place here to be able to share...
I do enjoy looking at other fellow members setup too...

Prep: Hot shower, Ach Brito Glyce Soap, Proraso Red Pre-shave cream
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless (1)
Soap: Stirling Gatlinburg
Brush: Parker Long Loft Badger
Post-Shave: Osma Tradition Alum Block, cold water rinse
Aftershave: Fine Italian Citrus AS

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Date:- 05 April 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Barrister & Mann ~ Lime | Lavender | Cedarwood
Razor/Blade:- Gillette Ball End Tech (0.56mm) 1946-50 / Gillette Stainless (red & white) #4
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (10)
Tipple:- George Wyndham Bin 555 Shiraz

Book 1 of 20........ I'm going to enjoy reading the complete novel series by Patrick O'Brian.

proxy.php

Last edited:

SOTD : 5th April 2020.

b.JPG

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower / Nivea Men ~ Power Fresh Shower Gel.

Pre:

Warm wet flannel to my face.

Simple ~ Sensitive Pure Soap Bar.

Brush: Omega 48.

Bowl Lather.

Tesco's Ceramic 'Cosmo' Side Bowl.

Frankensoap/Uber/Superlather :Arko Maximum Comfort Shave Cream. + Scottish Fine Shaving Soap & Williams Mug Shaving Soap.

Blade: Astra SP .(2)

Razor: Gillette Slim Twist.

Cold Water Face Rinse./Homemade Lavender, eucalyptus + Tea Tree Oil Witch Hazel Mixture./ Brut ASL.

L'0REAL ~ Barber Club Reinforcing ASB.

Greetings,

A relaxing sunday morning shave.

A comfortable non-aggressive razor & blade duo...It's been a while since my much loved vintage gillette slim twist made an appearance in one of my SOTD set up's, each time i've shaved with this vintage lady it's given me a amazingly comfortably smooth shave. It always amazes me that a 40 years + de razor can still perform with such smoothness.

Another enjoyable 3 pass + pick ups silky smooth shave with no errors to report.

Finishing the shave off with a generous dollop of L'0REAL ~ Barber Club Reinforcing ASB.

My face is feeling silky smooth & smelling devine.;)

Have a safe enjoyable Sunday Ladies & Gentlemen.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom