What's new

Name a song or Album That Rocked your World

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
I was a preteen whose brother was senior by 7 years.

I'm with you, my brother was 10 years older, (which in many ways made him more like a second father). I was definitely influenced by his taste in music and was listening to Styx, Kansas, The Police, Springsteen, & U2 when I was in elementary school and all my friends were listening to Disney sing along records or what not. I remember when he went away to college I was eight, and I would go down into his room and play his vinyl copy of Synchronicity by the Police over and over. Then a year later it was Born in the USA then a couple of years after that The Joshua Tree

Pink Floyd-Dark side of the moon, Yes-the Yes album, Joe Walsh-But seriously folks, Kansas-Leftoverture, Elton John-Goodbye yellow brick road, Genesis-Duke, Edgar Winter Group-They only come out at Night, Montrose-Montrose. There are others, my 64 year old memory ain't what it used to be. Good thread.

The Slipknot Iowa album. It turned me on to heavy metal. Before that, all I listened to was country music but I saw Slipknot on MTV and loved the masks and loved how hard and aggressive the music was and, as they say, the rest is history.

That's a good one. The finality of the line that always gets me is, "I'll never look into your eyes.... again."
Not exactly a moon/june kind of pop song is it? To me it is a real genre expanding song: from its length, to its multi-layered and multi-sourced subject matter and symbolism, to Robby Kreiger's odd D tuning and drone that some say sounds Indian but it does not sound like any Indian music I have heard, to John Densmore's drumming which does have an Indian tabla feel to it, to the break in singing for an extended talking section, to the almost Day in the Life build up of cacophony of instruments ending is sort of an sustained chord, before it picks up again. Among other things, who is Morrison singing to? A woman he is breaking up with? Himself? A younger self, as some have suggested? Us? Oedipal, Freudian, Greek, Aztec (?), American West. Some say Joycean. Baudelaire. Joseph Campbell, maybe.

Not exactly a moon/june kind of pop song is it? To me it is a real genre expanding song: from its length, to its multi-layered and multi-sourced subject matter and symbolism, to Robby Kreiger's odd D tuning and drone that some say sounds Indian but it does not sound like any Indian music I have heard, to John Densmore's drumming which does have an Indian tabla feel to it, to the break in singing for an extended talking section, to the almost Day in the Life build up of cacophony of instruments ending is sort of an sustained chord, before it picks up again. Among other things, who is Morrison singing to? A woman he is breaking up with? Himself? A younger self, as some have suggested? Us? Oedipal, Freudian, Greek, Aztec (?), American West. Some say Joycean. Baudelaire. Joseph Campbell, maybe.

The song was used to great effect in "Apocalypse Now".

Sgt Pepper, listen to the bass playing and percussion. Unbelievable. Only lousy song is Within You Without You
All Things Must Pass. George Harrison was a genius. The tempo changes are unbelievable
Exile on Main Street. Gritty, bluesy, and far out.

1968 a new recording of the Brandenburg Concertos entered the school music library. I would go I there and study between choir and first lunch period.
The librarian showed it to me and asked if I'd like to listen.
I did and it was simply magic. It somehow resonated deep within me.
Maybe it was singing the Bach Cantatas with the Cantorei.
At any rate, I went in every day after choir and listened to the Brandenburgs and other classical recordings and began listening to KVOD.
This is how my love for classical music began.

The song was used to great effect in "Apocalypse Now".

There is a very interesting story on that that I did not know until today. Basically when Francis Ford Coppola asked to use the song Elektra or whoever sent him, apparently unintentionally, the original master tapes, pre-mix. The version of the song used in the movie is in effect a unique version, I read. Pretty obvious when you listen to it, I guess.

listen to the bass playing and percussion. Unbelievable
Yes, much clearer in the remixed versions. We did not have the clarity to hear them so well when the album first came out. Genius stuff. Not every cut seems as good to me as they once did. WIYWOY seems okay to me.

Last edited:
If you ever find yourself driving behind me, it'd be pretty obvious what my favorite song is:
proxy.php

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The first two Zeppelin albums opened me up to the world of blues. I was born in 1968, and got into Zep mid 80s or so. Not sure about original LP releases, but when the CDs were being sold they were crediting blues people on the sleeves. Hmmm, who is this Howlin’ Wolf guy? I know that some claim that they stole music from these blues guys (who stole them from guys before themselves), but I think they actually gave them exposure to people like me, who knew nothing about the blues.

First album that blew me away was in 1991 and had a naked baby swimming on the cover: Nirvana's Nevermind

Second was Weezer's blue album.

Both of those got me through a lot.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The first song I heard with Randy Rhoads on guitar. Had he lived longer, he would have been a very influential rock guitar player.

For albums, it would have to be Signals by Rush. Totally knocked me for a loop, and I could listen to Subdivisions on a loop.
I’m with you, kid (both digital and analog). I was living in West Germany when my best friend’s brother came “home” on a break from college and literally made us listen to that album. Signals changed my life, and concept of music, forever.

Top Bottom