What's new

It took up many years to understand that...

Proraso is good stuff, no question about that. Im much the same in that I used to try almost every new artisan shave soap that came out before I realized that none of it performs any better than TOBS and TOBS costs half as much (or less). Its much the same with Proraso.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
My tub of Proraso sits next to my tub of slightly more expensive MdC Agrumes, why?
Check the ingredients list. They both perform very well. I use them both, depending on my mood.

Well, one should expect that it ought to be at least reasonably good at what it does, or else it would not have become as popular as it is in its home country or anywhere else.

Personally I can buy cream in any big box store in the US that works great for me, for less money than I'd pay for a tube of Proraso anywhere other than a TJMaxx-type discounter. I'd pay even less for it on Amazon. So the only reason I would buy anything else is simply out of a desire to buy myself a little shaving entertainment.

But some people need the ne plus ultra of products, and some people just like spending big bucks on interesting things that may work a little better than the mass market stuff. And God bless 'em, there's no reason they shouldn't be able to if the supply and demand match up. But we're all adults here, we can find what we want at the price point we want and shave happily.

...all I ever needed was already in my den.

Tonight I used a product that we've all tried. It is very affordable and easily obtainable.

I gave one of these creams to a close friend of mine years ago to get him started. Some time later I offered him some "premium" artisan products I no longer needed. His response was that he already had what he needed for a great shave, but he would give them a try. He was talking about that cream I gave him.

Proraso, gents. All you'll ever need. This is my honest opinion. It took me years and cost me thousands of euros to understand that.

You can snob it all you want. You can prefer artisan products. You can spend hundreds of dollars on a premium set. It's your money, I don't blame you, you can do whatever you want with your hard earned money. I'm not here to judge anyone. But all you want is to achieve that kind of lather and have a nice and smooth shave. Proraso offers that. Scents are not fancy or luxurious, but that doesn't stop you from using the EdT/EdP of your preference at the end of your shave.

Proraso does not just get the work done. It does it better than many other products I've tried. I could name some more expensive artisan or mass produced products that are inferior to Proraso, but that would not make any difference. I would just start a flame war among members and this is not my intention.

Let's be honest. If I didn't mention the name and just saw you the following photos, you'd think it's some super hyped artisan product, one of those that we see in the instagramish SOTDs.

No special techniques needed. No pun intended. Just a cheap bowl, a synthetic brush, some cream and a few drops of water.

My thoughts and prayers are with my neighboor and fellow Italians. Stay strong and keep offering glorious products!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Does it get any better than this? Can any other product produce a better, more luxurious lather than this? Photos don't do it justice, my photo skills are not great and I used my phone camera. My almost 8 years of experience with shaving soaps and creams says no.
I agree 100%

Proraso Red is my favorite of the bunch. Blue comes in second place. I don't know what the deal is with the Green, but I couldn't get it to work as well for me. If people like Proraso, then they should use it. If not, well there's more than enough stuff to shave with out there.

When I first started, I figured old Company, long-established products, would be my best bets for starting out. Proraso suited the bill perfectly. I got each of their four main product lines and was happy with them for a bit. I've even purchased the limited edition tin box sets a few years ago. But then, others talked about their wins and the enjoyments they gained, I started looking and trying other peoples' work. I still have a lot of the first containers of Proraso to go, and those tin sets... but I figure, even if I survive the Corona transition, I'll still have pretty much all the shaving soaps, aftershaves, and EdT/EdP to have good gifts for someone who wanders through my estate sale years from now.

My tub of Proraso sits next to my tub of slightly more expensive MdC Agrumes, why?
Check the ingredients list. They both perform very well. I use them both, depending on my mood.

That brings to mind that the original SDM was actually an older version of Proraso, which had lanolin in it. It sold for about 10 times the price and people used to rave about it, then many started to realize that it really was just Proraso and even made in the same factory.

I have the newer version of SDM, which is much different but it's humourous to see how price can alter perception.

I love proraso. I think it’s one of the best scents ever made.

But...... holy cannoli does it leave a lot of soap scum on everything. It’s actually a deal breaker with my hard water.

The over-fatted artisan soaps are nice and oily, so they don’t leave much soap scum.

I love proraso. I think it’s one of the best scents ever made.

But...... holy cannoli does it leave a lot of soap scum on everything. It’s actually a deal breaker with my hard water.

The over-fatted artisan soaps are nice and oily, so they don’t leave much soap scum.

That white residue that it leaves I don't think is actually soap scum but it's certainly noticeable even in soft water.

I think the OPs message is that we can get a great shave from singular spartan appointments, and to this I cannot disagree.

Im sure 90% of the guys here can get 90% as good of a shave with a total $30 investment. Dunno - Weishi razor. Omega boar. Astra blade. Arko/Williams soap. No brand witch hazel.

I could also get around town driving a 2004 Toyota Camry just fine ...

Top Bottom