What's new

Your Dream Straight Razor

If you could have just one razor, any razor, what would it be? This can be your dream razor that you wish you could get your hands on or one that you already have. It cannot/shouldn't be a case queen but rather one you would regularly shave with. Please explain why this one razor is your dream razor...

Feel free to add a pic of your dream razor if you want.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
EDACO
401FA12B-2E1E-4B63-970F-005CCEF67A91.jpeg

either an Edson or Zowada custom. I've got my MK 32 and a Zawada carbon series... and I'm happy with what I've got. I have my penultimates. they're enough.

just one? yeah, nah. I'll happily keep what I've got.

Surprisingly, heavy and wide straights are suddenly appealing to me. So, the dream might be the Wade&Butcher chopper I was very happy to find on BST recently.
3E8729E4-588D-4C78-89C7-33B3545F1070.jpeg

Or it might be a NOS Manaslu 300, perfect, pristine, and beyond my price point. I should just get to work on this one.
95EEC042-5F55-4F51-B9DA-C2CC84A17968.jpeg

Why? Hopefully not the reason attributed to guys who buy the biggest pickup they can finance. And the Manaslu? Hefty, Japanese, goofy promotional message, sweet scales, and an iconic mountain.

Last edited:
To be one that I would regularly use, it would have to be one that I have already used.

With five different SRs to choose from, I would pick my Titan 1918 ACRO blade. It holds an excellent edge, is the perfect weight and balance for me - and in my opinion looks good.

IS this really so good? I have the Titan VG10, the grinding at the shoulder is not polished enough, still have grinding scratch seen. What about the Titan ACRO? It is their highest model, is the finish work justified the extra money. I don't want to buy their highest model, only find out that they are just slightly better than Gold Dollar, but still cannot compared to other brand name razor.

In the Titan photos, The ACRO model "LOOKS" really good, BTW. And that's why I may be interested.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
IS this really so good? I have the Titan VG10, the grinding at the shoulder is not polished enough, still have grinding scratch seen. What about the Titan ACRO? It is their highest model, is the finish work justified the extra money. I don't want to buy their highest model, only find out that they are just slightly better than Gold Dollar, but still cannot compared to other brand name razor.

In the Titan photos, The ACRO model "LOOKS" really good, BTW. And that's why I may be interested.
The finish on the ACRO is not perfect. On mine, there are still some faint grinding marks to be seen. If you want a perfect finish, buy a SR for three to five times the price from Europe.

I bought my Titan ACRO for the steel, not the polished looks. A ST is a tool with which to shave, and for that my ACRO now does a very good job.

If you want a "cheap" SR with a good polished finish, consider the Gold Dollar W59 or similar - good polished finish, no shoulder problems and softer steel so easier to hone. Corrosion can be a problem with their steel.

I prefer a harder steel with smaller grain size. Harder steel is harder to hone, but once done and with its finer grain, holds its edge much better. The ACRO also is much more resistant to corrosion than the Gold Dollars.

Check the B&B review section for more details.

Last edited:
Like most members here I own a couple of razors and they are all wonderful. Choosing one is rather difficult so here are 2.

This giraffe bone razor is a 6/6 extra hollow that is heavy, nothing else I own can keep up with it. Truly exceptional
EB170DB9-4765-47A4-B37A-44408028D709.jpeg

This very rare Paul Waldin double cuckoo birds is a close second, either of these would do the job.
C6E6B2B3-886B-4DD8-9EA2-ECBA72FB6CE8.jpeg

The finish on the ACRO is not perfect. On mine, there are still some faint grinding marks to be seen. If you want a perfect finish, buy a SR for three to five times the price from Europe.

I bought my Titan ACRO for the steel, not the polished looks. A ST is a tool with which to shave, and for that my ACRO now does a very good job.

If you want a "cheap" SR with a good polished finish, consider the Gold Dollar W59 or similar - good polished finish, no shoulder problems and softer steel so easier to hone. Corrosion can be a problem with their steel.

I prefer a harder steel with smaller grain size. Harder steel is harder to hone, but once done and with its finer grain, holds its edge much better. The ACRO also is much more resistant to corrosion than the Gold Dollars.

Check the B&B review section for more details.

Thanks for your effortful input, rbscebu. This is very useful to help me to spend the money to where I should spend.

Different people have different needs and desires, and this forum helps us to share useful information.

W59 has no shoulder problem, but the scales are kind of low quality.

To me, the Titan, even the VG10 model, is good quality, except of course the shoulder grind. To me, it is such a waste in their effort(Titan factory) that 95% of their product is acceptable, and I may say even good, except this small area of the shoulder grind issue. But this puts its product at a lower rating among other brands.

I personally, if not only the should grind issue, I would say I even enjoy holding the VG10 as a good product, just like I am holding a Dovo, TI, or Boker.

Why this shoulder grind is so difficult to make it perfect? Does it involve a lot of production cost in handling this small area? Or is it a skill issue that Titan cannot achieve at all?

Have a good day.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Why this shoulder grind is so difficult to make it perfect? Does it involve a lot of production cost in handling this small area? Or is it a skill issue that Titan cannot achieve at all?
I have no answer to your questions. All I know is that I have no problem honing SRs with a shoulder. It just takes some practice and getting use to it.

Once the edge is to my standard, I never have to hone them again as after each shave, my SRs get 50 laps on a 0.1u pasted hanging balsa strop.

I'm guessing that a blade is made with a shoulder to provide some support/rigidity to the blade in the heel area.

Interesting picks. I am surprised that nobody has chosen any flagships from the likes of Dovo, Thiers Issard, Max Sprecher, Wacker, Ralph Aust, Boker. But all these shared so far are great. Keep'em coming. One thing I enjoy seeing is how these tools are such personal items. What works for one may not work for another. Size, shape, type of steel, scales, shoulder, notches, jimping, etc. What I like you may not like. That is what I love about SRs. They are an adventure, each and every one of them. I love finding one at an antique shop, buying it (usually for cheap) and taking it home to hone and polish it up (restoring it). Then working up a rich warm lather and putting that strange steel to my face for the first time. How well with this one shave???? It's an adventure for sure.

Joe Edson custom, drool...
Curious about Damascus Steel SRs. I wonder how they shave. Given that they have different steel all along the edge. It will dull faster in some parts than the other I would imagine. I also imagine some parts of the blade will dull faster than another. That is primarily why I have stayed away from them. They are gorgeous for sure. I'm not sure how practical they are though as a daily. Maybe those of you with damascus steel SRs can chime in on this and tell me if I am wrong?

Top Bottom