What's new

I really just thought MDC was hype

$80 for MdC Rose from Maggards is ridiculous. I get mine from the English Shaving Co (with discount) and Gifts & Care (Spain) delivered to Ireland or New England much cheaper.

$80 for MdC Rose from Maggards is ridiculous. I get mine from the English Shaving Co (with discount) and Gifts & Care (Spain) delivered to Ireland or New England much cheaper.

Huh...didn't realize there were cheaper options. We're still talking about a ~$60 soap after shipping, though.

I approach all products with rave reviews with a fair dose of skepticism. That being said, after my first use with MDC Vetyver I will admit it was worth the money and lived up to the hype. Minimal loading made a ridiculous amount of great lather. I am impressed.

I'm glad it worked out so well for you.

It was all hype for me because the high coconut oil dried out my skin so the soap was even lesser performing than much cheaper shaving soaps.

Luckily for me, it was just a sample so I didn't lose too much. I just threw out the remaining sample.

+1

English Shaving Co is a great option for buying and shipping to the States. Last I checked, with the exchange rate, it came to about $52. That included shipping. And they usually have most if not all available scents. If you visit when they’re having a sale, you can easily walk away with a new jar of MdC for less than $50.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Also, MdC is not currently (03/25/2020) shipping outside of the EU Shengen area due to the EU borders being closed due to coronavirus. So a third party vendor is currently the only choice.

English Shaving Co is a great option for buying and shipping to the States. Last I checked, with the exchange rate, it came to about $52.
Is that excluding the VAT? A jar of Original is currently $53.51, without the cost of shipping. Still cheaper than Maggard, of course, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Is that excluding the VAT? A jar of Original is currently $53.51, without the cost of shipping. Still cheaper than Maggard, of course, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.
Prices should be adjusted to be ex-VAT if you are shipping to the States. They also have a first-timer coupon good for 5% off, IIRC.

I found it to be a good soap but not really outstanding enough to justify the price. I could name several soaps that perform just as good or better for much less the price. If it were half the cost it still would not be worth it to me.

Tonight was my first time using this soap and I am extremely impressed. The lather was super slick and very rich and creamy. It loved water, but I could've used less, I just like my lather a bit wet. If this stuff is as long lasting as is said, it will be a good investment.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

its not really a job search needed....governor said 100 percent of non essential workers stay home so my wife and i arent considered essential workers so we arent making any income. i guess when they lift the ban, we go back to work but until then...we are unemployed.
this is the longest period of non work for me since 10th grade summer when i had no job....and i'm 48 years old now.

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
Resurrecting an old thread... opened my jar of MdC Fougere today. Was initially underwhelmed by the smell, but it grew on me; but by the end of the shave I found myself appreciating the scent and how it wasn’t cloying.

Lathered amazingly well, considering the water I have is very hard, and easily one of the best post shaves I’ve had with soap alone. All in all really happy with this, debating transferring about half into a soap dish/mug though, so I’m not loading straight out of the jar. Does anybody else do this as well?

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
I don’t have a benchmark to measure it against, but from the puck/jar it was a little overpowering, I thought. When lathered though, it bloomed into a really pleasant grassy scent, not overly pungent. Maybe a 3/10, where 10/10 is sniffing perfume straight from the bottle.

Ok... thats in the range of what I was anticipating. I splurged on some brushes, 2 MDCs and an SV 70th soap last night and want to know what to expect.

My wife likes to use the DE and a nice lathe for her legs as well, so I am hoping these are nice enough I can sell her on the mutual benefits of my purchase for the both of us. She’s awesome about my various acquisition disorders, but this one may be a bit rough. If the soaps are nice enough and pleasing to her, then I’ll escape with my life and some goodies.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I don't understand why some people say de Candre is good value as in cost per shave. When I tried it (a sample moulded into a pot, so it loads like from the jar), I think I was getting around 3 or 4 shaves per gram. I get that with Mitchell's Wool Fat.

OK, de Candre is a jar of 200g, whereas Mitchell's is only 125g. So that's 60% extra soap, and 60% extra shaves (800 instead of 500), but at 8 to 10 times the price! That netts out at 5 to 6 times more expensive per shave. If you get a shave that's 5 to 6 times better, however you personally rate them, then that's all well and good. Unfortunately, I don't.

Personally, I found it slow starting, which could (and did) lead to brush burn trying to get the lather working. Once the lather was built (which I had to start doing in a bowl to save my face), I did get very good shaves with it. However, it's just not worth the additional effort and expense, for me. I can get great shaves, easier, quicker, and at 20% of the cost, with Mitchell's. Maybe I should start calling it de CONdre :p

Top Bottom