What's new

Almost a year with my Braun 7893s shaver.

I have been shaving daily with my Braun 7893s since April 27th 2019. I decided to write an almost one year review of this shaver. Because of the Covid-19 pandemic I decided to write a one year review a month early while my family and myself are healthy. I had been using a Panasonic ES8103 shaver for the previous five years and needed to replace it because the battery was having difficulty maintaining a one week charge and the screens and cutters were ready to be replaced. The cost of replacing them was almost the same price as buying a new replacement shaver. The screens and cutters were original and the quality of the shaves was beginning to degrade. While shopping at Costco I bought the Braun 7983s for just less than $100. I had used Braun shavers for many years before under both the Braun and Ronson brand names and decided to try another Braun.

As I’ve said in numerous posts on this site, I shave every day dry, I don’t have a cleaning station and I don’t apply any lubrication to the screens/cutter cassette. I follow Braun’s dry shaving instructions including cleaning the shaver by tapping out the cassette on a peice of tissue paper on the counter and brush out the shavings from the shaver and the back side of the cassette. I shave and clean the shaver “Old school” just like I did with my first screen shaver in the early 1970s.

The battery holds a charge for between 16 or 17 days. The charge indicator normally shows half charge remaining at around 10 days. A full charge takes exactly one hour after the red light illuniates plus two or three more shaves. I shave every morning seven days a week before showering which takes about five minutes including cleaning. The closeness has not deteriorated at all since the first shave on April 28th last year. This shaver provides a very close shave with absolutely no irritation. The cassette has not developed any odor and hopefully it will last the 18 months when Braun recommends replacing the cassette. The change cassette indicator illuminates after 18 months. If the shaves remain the same, then there’s no reason to replace the cassette until the shaves begin to deteriorate.

I assume that the quality of my shaves along with our health will continue through next month and into the future. The latest models of the 7 series shavers use essentially the same screen/cutter cassette mounted on a more articulating shaver handle including a slightly larger battery capacity. If you want a very close and comfortable shave I highly recommend a Braun 7 series shaver. To those members who suggested that I need to lubricate the shaver to continue to get a close and comfortable are misinformed. No lubrications are needed as long as you don’t let water touch the shaver.

To everyone here, please stay safe and healthy.

Last edited:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Very good review. Electrics can be super. I like mine and use it similar to how you use yours with the exception that I insist on Williams 'Lectric shave. Sadly it sits for months, since now I enjoy wet shaving more.

Very good review. Electrics can be super. I like mine and use it similar to how you use yours with the exception that I insist on Williams 'Lectric shave. Sadly it sits for months, since now I enjoy wet shaving more.

Thanks. You can always charge it up and give it a work out. I tried ‘Lectric shave years ago and didn’t like it as much preshave powder.

Fantastic review! I really miss my series 7, absolutely my favorite of all my Electrics I've owned. My series 3 has been used regularly for my head shaves, I'll probably never bother with anything else up there again (unless I let it go too long and need to use clippers first) because it gives me a glass smooth head shave in minutes with no irritation. I was layed off for (at least) two months and my wife has been on me about growing a beard so I figured this was the best time, well one of my distributor contacts helped me out with a phone call to a mutual account and got me a part time seasonal job to help me through what would have been 2+ months of no income and even my wife agreed that I probably should shave for this job as it is something I could keep in my pocket 'just in case' I need employment in the future. Long story short, pulled out the series 3 and went to town. Near BBS head and face shave in less then 10 mins, with a few minutes spent reducing my beard with the pop up trimmer first.

Braun makes a quality shaver for sure.

I have been shaving daily with my Braun 7893s since April 27th 2019. I decided to write an almost one year review of this shaver. Because of the Covid-19 pandemic I decided to write a one year review a month early while my family and myself are healthy. I had been using a Panasonic ES8103 shaver for the previous five years and needed to replace it because the battery was having difficulty maintaining a one week charge and the screens and cutters were ready to be replaced. The cost of replacing them was almost the same price as buying a new replacement shaver. The screens and cutters were original and the quality of the shaves was beginning to degrade. While shopping at Costco I bought the Braun 7983s for just less than $100. I had used Braun shavers for many years before under both the Braun and Ronson brand names and decided to try another Braun.

As I’ve said in numerous posts on this site, I shave every day dry, I don’t have a cleaning station and I don’t apply any lubrication to the screens/cutter cassette. I follow Braun’s dry shaving instructions including cleaning the shaver by tapping out the cassette on a peice of tissue paper on the counter and brush out the shavings from the shaver and the back side of the cassette. I shave and clean the shaver “Old school” just like I did with my first screen shaver in the early 1970s.

The battery holds a charge for between 16 or 17 days. The charge indicator normally shows half charge remaining at around 10 days. A full charge takes exactly one hour after the red light illuniates plus two or three more shaves. I shave every morning seven days a week before showering which takes about five minutes including cleaning. The closeness has not deteriorated at all since the first shave on April 28th last year. This shaver provides a very close shave with absolutely no irritation. The cassette has not developed any odor and hopefully it will last the 18 months when Braun recommends replacing the cassette. The change cassette indicator illuminates after 18 months. If the shaves remain the same, then there’s no reason to replace the cassette until the shaves begin to deteriorate.

I assume that the quality of my shaves along with our health will continue through next month and into the future. The latest models of the 7 series shavers use essentially the same screen/cutter cassette mounted on a more articulating shaver handle including a slightly larger battery capacity. If you want a very close and comfortable shave I highly recommend a Braun 7 series shaver. To those members who suggested that I need to lubricate the shaver to continue to get a close and comfortable are misinformed. No lubrications are needed as long as you don’t let water touch the shaver.

To everyone here, please stay safe and healthy.
Thanks for the review Bob. My Series-7 always gives me a smooth comfortable shave when I use it.

Clayton

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

When all is said and done an electric shaver has one extremely important part and that’s the head that actually shaves your beard. Unless there’s another type of shaver which I’m not familiar, they all fall into one of two categories. They are either screen or rotary types. The speed of the motor plays a minor role in how much time it takes to accomplish the job. Everything else connected with the shaver takes a back seat. If you look back to the shavers on the market at the end of WWII, the Braun shavers had one cutter and one screen and the Norelco shavers had two separate rotary combs with multiple spinning blades below. The addition of multiple screens and cutters along with various articulation devices basically just make it easier to keep and maintain proper contact with the various contours of the face.

When I purchased my Braun shaver I was a little leery at first about Braun combining both the screens and the cutters into one unit. However, the proof is in the pudding. My personal experience along with everything I’ve heard or read about the 7 series shavers have been positive. I assume by combining the parts into a single cassette the tolerances of the cutters to the screens could be more closely maintained during manufacturing and during the life of the cassette.

I wonder what other new methods for shaving dry with an electric shaver are the engineers working on at both Braun and Phillips?

Because I have been working at home and didn’t really need to shave every day, I decided to allow my Braun 7893s shaver’s battery to run all the way down and see how many shaves it will really deliver after the red indicator light illuminates. The instruction manual states that when the red light illuminates the shaver should give an additional 2 or 3 or more shaves. Mine delivered an additional 7 shaves before the charge gave out. I am just amazed! I don’t know if running the Lithium Ion batteries completely down is a bad thing, but I only did it this once to see how many shaves it will deliver. Normally, I charge the shaver on Sunday and have only shaved two or three times after the red light illuminates until charging the shaver.

Sometimes products exceed expectations. I’m always amazed when that happens.

Because I have been working at home and didn’t really need to shave every day, I decided to allow my Braun 7893s shaver’s battery to run all the way down and see how many shaves it will really deliver after the red indicator light illuminates. The instruction manual states that when the red light illuminates the shaver should give an additional 2 or 3 or more shaves. Mine delivered an additional 7 shaves before the charge gave out. I am just amazed! I don’t know if running the Lithium Ion batteries completely down is a bad thing, but I only did it this once to see how many shaves it will deliver. Normally, I charge the shaver on Sunday and have only shaved two or three times after the red light illuminates until charging the shaver.

Sometimes products exceed expectations. I’m always amazed when that happens.

With lithium ion batteries it's actually good to run it down to 0% occasionally, one major downside to lithium ion (besides the whole explosion thing) is they suffer terribly from 'memory loss'. Just like phones, it's bad to NEVER run it to 0 just as much as it's bad to always keep it between 90-100.

With lithium ion batteries it's actually good to run it down to 0% occasionally, one major downside to lithium ion (besides the whole explosion thing) is they suffer terribly from 'memory loss'. Just like phones, it's bad to NEVER run it to 0 just as much as it's bad to always keep it between 90-100.

I don’t think running the battery to zero once would do any long term damage. I don’t think Lithium Ion batteries have a memory issue like nickle cadnium or nickle hydride batteries. However, they do have a limited number of charge/discharge cycles. Obviously, recharging the Braun shaver when the red light illuminates doesn’t mean the battery is not even close to being completely discharged.

Apple recommends that if you are going to store a Lithium Ion battery for more than 6 months then store it at 50% charged. Storing it long term at 0% charge and it might not come back and take a charge.

Like all other types of batteries, Li-ion batteries will wear down over time, holding less and less charge. Apple says its laptop batteries will reach 80% of their original capacity after “up to” 1000 full discharge cycles. Other manufacturers commonly rate their batteries 300 to 500 cycles.

The batteries can still be used after this point, but they’ll hold less electricity and will power your devices for shorter and shorter periods of time. They’ll continue losing capacity the more you use them. Heat and aging will reduce the battery’s life, too.

Whatever you do, your devices’ batteries will slowly wear down over time. With proper care, you can make them hold a long charge for longer — but there’s no stopping entropy. Hopefully, your device will be due for an upgrade by the time its battery dies.

At the current time my Braun shaver is charged every two weeks that’s about 50 charge cycles a year. If the battery is rated at 500 cycles that equates to ten years of use. However, after about 250 cycles, or five years the battery will probably not be able to hold a 14 day charge. But, after five years it’s probably time to buy a new shaver anyway regardless if the battery still works.

Top Bottom