What's new

Lathering with a Chubby 1 Super

I'll preface this with the obligatory 'I'm a newbie'. I added a Chubby 1 Super to my collection so I could rotate brushes. My other brush that I am comparing to is a Yaqi two band best badger.

The Chubby 1, is really soft, but what I'm finding is that it doesn't lather as well or as easily as the Yaqi. When using the Yaqi, I paint and splay, and I do the same with the Chubby 1 (I know Simpson do not recommend splaying).

The Chubby 1 does not splay as easily as the Yaqi, owing to it's density I presume, but I am unsure what I am doing incorrectly that prevents the Chubby 1 from lathering up as easily as the Yaqi. Is more break in time needed, do I need to load the brush more, more water...?

Use more product. The chubby 1 in super is an awesome brush by the way...congrats!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Agreed that more product is probably needed, the chubby brushes eat up and need more soap because of the density. It should also loosen up and release lather better as you get more uses in, so don’t get discouraged. If you did though, you can send it to me and I won’t be mad at you ;-)
Hope you enjoy the fine brush!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Sir, due to the extremely dense knot it is necessary to remove some of the water from the brush - hence, lightly squeeze the knot before proceeding. Also, load the brush heavily in order to keep the water/soap ratio balanced. The resulting lather will be rich, dense and shiny.

I have owned several dozens brushes in my +25 years of wet shaving and the Simpson Chubby 1 Super is still my #1 pick. Enjoy this magnificent, legendary brush.

Use more product. The chubby 1 in super is an awesome brush by the way...congrats!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

+1! More product than you think!! Chubby 1 is an awesome brush, once you get the loading technique down, ‘Load it like you hate it!’ :clap: :clap:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
+1! More product than you think!! Chubby 1 is an awesome brush, once you get the loading technique down, ‘Load it like you hate it!’ :clap: :clap:

Big J, I have just noticed your Ambassador badge! Congratulations and welcome to the B&B Team!

Ah. Reminds me of my own story. My first brush was a Simpson Case—similar but a bit smaller. It took me a quite a bit before I figured out how to get good results. In hindsight, I could’ve picked an easier way to start! You’ll likely love your new brush with a little more practice.

Thanks for the replies! I'll try loading more product (Wholly Kaw Fern Concerto is shaping up to be today's selection)

One of my favorite brushes.... It’s plump, and firm and oh so soft. Using the Simpson Chubby 1 Super is like having pillow fight with two Victoria secret models in a suite of the Waldorf hotel. Hungarian goose down pillows with 1000 thread count cotton covers included.

The chubby density comes at the expenses of flow through. The lather may take a little longer but if there is plenty of product it will lather in abundance.

One of my favorite brushes.... It’s plump, and firm and oh so soft. Using the Simpson Chubby 1 Super is like having pillow fight with two Victoria secret models in a suite of the Waldorf hotel. Hungarian goose down pillows with 1000 thread count cotton covers included.

Wow, you're quite the writer. I predict a run on Chubby 1 Super brushes at all stores.

Or wait... what comes with the Hungarian goose down pillows?

The Chubby 1 Manchurian really ramps up the backbone. It’s made of tougher stuff than the pillowy soft Chubby 1 Super but it’s still plenty luxurious.

This one reminds me of heli-skiing on a remote Nepalese glacier. It’s adventurous, manly and tough but in a very exclusive and luxurious sort of way. I’m sure there would be a Hungarian goose down jacket somewhere in the heli-skiing kit. Probably right next to the lather avalanche beacon!

3936FA55-DAEC-4F87-81BC-26B54DC3FA9D.jpeg

😁

Much more success tonight lathering you the Wholly Kaw Fern Concerto. Beautiful lather and more than enough for 3 passes! Looking forward to lathering up in a couple of days 😄

The Chubby 1 is also one of my favourites.
And because he is so good a Manchurian Badger had to move into my house.
proxy.php

proxy.php

I had a similar experience with my Chubster 2 in super duper. First few lathers were not what I expected. Use and time made the difference. It just needed a little break in. If there is one thing I would recommend it is try not to mash or swirl - paint brush strokes with just enough pressure to get the tips working - maybe a quarter inch. Simpson is spot on in regard to this. Enjoy.

I remember having a similar experience with my special edition Eagle G3 in Best back in the day (which was rumored to use Chubby 1 knots, and was indeed extremely dense). Had a hell of a time getting the thing to lather, but once I figured it out, holy bleep did it lather. That kind of density in a brush really is an indulgence...it's not efficient with soaps at all, but what it does to the face-feel is just lovely.

Top Bottom