What's new

Have you tried any new soaps lately?

During this stay at home time it seems a good time to try some new soaps. Or dig deep in your soap closet and re-try some old soaps you stored away for a rainy day.

I recently rediscovered a jar of Razorock Santa Maria Del Fiore Firenze soap in my closet. This is a wonderfully warm scented soap that builds a lather in a few swirls of a brush.

I also recently purchased a couple of shave sticks - DR Harris Sandalwood and Speick. Both great soaps.

Have you tried any new soaps lately or rediscovered a soap you had hidden away?

I fairly recently bought a lot that included Santa Maria and the Dead Sea soaps from Razorock. I love them both. Nice glass jars. By scent description, I would have chosen the Dead Sea but actually end up preferring the Santa Maria.
I got some samples from Shave Dash a couple of weeks ago too.
Nuavia Blu and Rossa and some MdC.
The Nuavias are amazing. My face felt great after using them.
The Blu is a great scent.

Great question!!

Currently debating between ordering some new (to me) soaps vs. digging through my stash to pick one I have not used for a bit!

AH, the B&B answer, ‘Both!!’ :a29: :a29:

Haven't purchased any new soaps in ages, but since I'm home 24/7 these days, I have time to take inventory. I found my MWF soap that I hadn't used in a year or so, and now that is back in heavy rotation. I forgot how good it was!

After years of using only TOBS cream, Proraso Green and MWF, I've made pretty substantial purchases of Razorock, Stirling, PAA, Mystic Waters and MdC. This month will be a cavalcade of experimenting. Last night I tried out the MdC, and was extremely happy with it. I liked it a lot, and will be torn tonight between using it again, or trying out one of the other soaps I bought this month.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Just before Covid hell broke out I purchased a travel size Arko stick after reading about its fans and haters on many sites. It was my 1st shave stick.

I had no problem with the smell, but it did leave my face feeling dry after my 1st use. I tried it again and it wasn't as bad, however the 1st time I rubbed it directly on my face to lather, and the 2cd time I nudged off a few small pieces and put them in a bowl to lather.

I'll continue to experiment before I've made a final decision, and will probably buy a different shave stick to compare it to.

I got couple of news soaps to test and try out.

Fine Platinum & L'Orange Noir
CF Nightingale
Spearhead shaving co 17.2 experimental soap

I test lathered all of them and they all seem to perform well. The 17.2 especially surprised me with all the butters and fatty ingredients that made the lather super creamy. I'm definitely enjoying my shaves during the quarantine.

I've only got four soaps that I've never used: Omega's Via Barberia Herbae, a Wilkinson Sword shave stick, a Derby shave stick, and vintage Old Spice. I should probably break them all out. Life is fleeting...

I am on a test process...
I had bought six samples of Extro Cosmesi cream/soaps. Those were not for me. The scents, although not bad, they did not make me feel clean and fresh. Nice scents but not for shaving purposes. Pirata was the best I tried.

I started a new test series with Meissner soaps. I bought all eleven soaps they have. I have tested two. Today was the second day.
The first was "Mint Ice Menthol". H a n d s d o w n! Great soap! For those who like menthol scent, this is it. The perfect one. You feel fresh and "icy" almost all day.
The lathering (Shavemac DO1 2-band silvertip) was very easy (took 20 seconds mostly) and it was a very slick lather and a perfect shave. I used a Merkur progress and a Wilkinson blade. Believe it or not, two passes. Second ATG and I had the best BBS ever. No irritation. All perfect.
The same with "warm Woods" today, but the scent was not for me.

I am a MWF, D.R Harris, TOBS, Saponficio Varesino and Haslinger user. Meissner will definitely be in my den.

I actually picked up the new formulations of Chiseled Face from Groomatorium. Haven't tried them yet, however it sounds like they are similar to the Deluxe Shaving Company soap formula.

Great question!!

Currently debating between ordering some new (to me) soaps vs. digging through my stash to pick one I have not used for a bit!

AH, the B&B answer, ‘Both!!’ :a29: :a29:
LOL both picking through my soaps I have not used for a bit and ordering new. I have been channeling my inner @BigJ . I was perfectly happy going through my collection of soaps, pulling out old gems and not intending to buy anything new. I have been rediscovering all the Eufros soaps I have not used for a while when news reached me that Ethos Grooming Essentials was introducing several new soaps and a Sandalwood EdT splash using real Indian Mysore Sandalwood. It was the Mysore Sandalwood that really caught my eye as I have been searching high and low for the real deal for a while now. Ethos has been getting some good reviews as Frank ramps up his new line. I certainly miss his Shave-Offs. I ended up ordering the Suces soap and AS (pineapple noir scent) and the Sandalwood product. So yes, I am following the B&B tradition of 'Both'.

Last edited:
I went on a soap buying binge over the last month and probably have about 10 standard size containers and 20 samples. I won't go into all the details but let's just say I'm set on soap for a looong time.

I will say that the soap that surprised me the most, from a smell perspective, was Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars. It had a wonderful tobacco/floral thing going on without being too sweet smelling.

I got an extremely generous batch of soap samples “gift with purchase” when I picked up a razor off BST recently.

It will take a while to make progress on this new backlog, but the first, Murphy&McNeil Ouroboros has been very enjoyable, holds plenty of water, and requires an very small amount of product for me to make a 2+ pass lather. My first scoop turned into three separate 2+ pass shaves.

By the time I’m done with these samples, perhaps I’ll have some idea of how to talk about scents.

I'm tempted to try a few new artisans but then I remember I have over a century worth of soaps and creams even after giving away a quarter-century worth. So I'm good lol.

Funny you should ask - I just ordered a 10 pack of samples from Shavedash - a couple of Chiseled Face soaps, and a selection of soaps from MDC, SV, Fine, DRH and Wholly Kaw.

My last new soaps were a couple MdC’s and I’m happy to report I’m done with looking for and trying new soaps!

Tabac, Proraso, and MdC cover all the bases for me, and I have enough for several years worth of shaves. Took me about 15 months or so to dial it all in, not complaining!

I tried B&M Hallows. Amazing scent and as always amazing performance. I hope it is released again this year.

Yes, been comparing the bests with each other. Currently comparing Dragonsbeard by Ethos Grroomming with MdC Fougere. Afrer a few shaves in, the Dragonsbeard is winning. Also getting compared in this mix-up is CBL Tonsorial.
IMG_2643.jpg
IMG_2637.jpg
IMG_2643.jpg
IMG_2637.jpg

Top Bottom