What's new

I went a little crazy

If this is in the wrong location, please move.

After a few years of being in a comfortable rut with my shaving, I recently became fascinated with the buying side. I recently purchased new soaps, a few new razors.

All of this because I got a new job that involves traveling twice a month. What is the best advice for traveling a lot with these razors and blades? Why can’t we just carry on a couple of blades?

Most of my razor purchases have been on the cheaper side to ensure I don’t lose any of my old or high end razors in case my travels go sideways.

Thanks in advance for any tips you may have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are driving you can carry as many blades as you want. If flying, no carry on blades allowed. Why? Gotta ask TSA for that one!

Mike

Travel lightly. Few things and lightweight. Consider an adjustable razor, which is many razors in one. Take a partially filled bottle of after shave.

Blades are legal in checked bags (at least within Canada).

You could mail some to yourself. Most decent hotels will hold a letter for you. If you're working for a client, send it to their office. Use your inter-office courier.

Shave sticks for the win when travelling.
Samples work great for aftershave, new or refilled.

Mailing blades to yourself or finding a store or pharmacy that has blades to buy a pack are common suggestions.

As for me, I just don't take a DE unless I'm checking a bag. And don't trust the TSA with full size containers of soaps in carry on. You may be fine 12 times, and then one agent decides it's too soft and takes your full tub. Depends how the wind blows that day. Again, I only take shave sticks (since they are indisputably a solid) or sample size containers in carry on. A full tub of product may be packed only when I am checking luggage.

Remember also that the TSA seems to care about container volume, not volume remaining. You could have 50mL of aftershave left, but if it's a 250mL bottle they may flag it and inspect it, or even confiscate it. Just stick with small containers for the least potential hassle.

Last edited:
Reactions: nav
Take whatever you feel you want to use and check your bag, I try not to be in a hurry when I travel so I don't mind waiting a few minutes on the baggage line for my stuff, there has being some instances where I just take a carry on size and when I tell them I want to check it in they wont charge the extra since they feel I am making it easier for other people to have my space on the overheads.

I like to use the IGo plastic screw top containers that can be found in the travel isle at Walmart. I think they hold like 3/4 ounce or something like that. I fill these with different soaps and use a plastic salsa bowl that can be had at the dollar store at two for a buck. Soaps I choose will usually be something I know will lather in harder water. The bowls are light weight and work well for lathering a soap. This way I have an assortment of soaps to choose from.

The 3 piece razor gets broken down and goes into a medicine bottle. I've noticed than when it doesn't look like a razor they don't seem to bother with it.

The brush goes in a larger medicine bottle that I've drilled some holes into. The pharmacy will usually give you a medicine bottle or two for free if you ask nicely and offer to pay for it. I tell them that I need it for a project. When drilling the holes in the bottle it's important to start with a smaller bit and work your way up through several bits making the holes larger each time. Starting with a larger bit will crack the bottle instantly.

I'll bring a small bottle of a decent after shave balm. Like Neutrogana post shave lotion for example.

Unfortunately blades have to go in checked luggage or mail them to yourself ahead of time. I have accidentally left blades in my carry on several times and gone right through but I wouldn't recommend doing it on purpose as it could jam you up for a while.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
If you are travelling internationally then remember that TSA regulations are irrelevant in many countries. I strongly advise against having a DE blade in your carry on in South Asia for example; you may lose a lot more than just your shaving gear.

I just ordered a Broman razor. I swear I’m stopping lol. I do need to get some sticks. I haven’t used one in a few years, so I spaced about those. It seems like some of the other guys are checking a bag so I will probably do that. This will alleviate some stress.

I do travel frequently for work, either by air (domestic & international) or by car. I will bring a quarter of my shave den with me regardless because I enjoyed it too much, LOL! If traveling by air I will always check-in my baggage with my shave bag inside. I will bring at least 2-3 razors, soaps/creams, AF, bowls and a variety of DE blades including stand.
You gotta have your zen time and enjoy all your shave gears...especially during working.
Carry-on is definitely a nono...

TSA is totally unpredictable IME! Many of them don’t know the rules. You may need to ask for a supervisor if there is a question.

I have had carryons searched because they did not like the look of a DE (without any blades) and, recently, for a toenail clipper that they thought was ‘suspicious.’
So, I either mail blades to my hotel before traveling or go with a cart. Sad but true!! :sob: :sob:

If I fly with checked bag, I pack whatever I want for my shaving needs including DE blades. If no checked bags, I bring a cart. Sucks but no choice!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
If this is in the wrong location, please move.

After a few years of being in a comfortable rut with my shaving, I recently became fascinated with the buying side. I recently purchased new soaps, a few new razors.

All of this because I got a new job that involves traveling twice a month. What is the best advice for traveling a lot with these razors and blades? Why can’t we just carry on a couple of blades?

Most of my razor purchases have been on the cheaper side to ensure I don’t lose any of my old or high end razors in case my travels go sideways.

Thanks in advance for any tips you may have.

Carry an empty razor and buy blades when you arrive.

If I am flying I am checking the bag, I have always found that this is the least stressful way to fly. My carry on is for all the tech stuff I have with me.

Top Bottom