What's new

Any Vintage Blade Users Out There?

Hi Red! Yes, primarily the bay, and many from members of shaving boards. I have practically enough of each make to last a lifetime. I was in the beginning of a brush acquisition disorder, something way more costly and something that effects the outcome of the shave way less when I discovered how much better vintage blades are and redirected.

IMG_20200320_231158.jpg

my sta-sharps ( I DONT BELIEVE THERES A STRAIGHT RAZOR ON THE MARKET THAT CAN BEAT THEM!!) silver steel goes through so buttery smooth , blade actually bends cheek to cheek!!!

My boker (is alright) from 1960,s I read that ..that's the prime time better quality than the new ones!!

iv had a lot of vintage blades chip and deteriote on the stone while honing ...

havnt tried something new like hart-steel or dovo , but I'd put money they can't compare my -stas !!

EDIT - ohh , I'm off subject/category

Last edited:
View attachment 1076654

my sta-sharps ( I DONT BELIEVE THERES A STRAIGHT RAZOR ON THE MARKET THAT CAN BEAT THEM!!) silver steel goes through so buttery smooth , blade actually bends cheek to cheek!!!

My boker (is alright) from 1960,s I read that ..that's the prime time better quality than the new ones!!

iv had a lot of vintage blades chip and deteriote on the stone while honing ...

havnt tried something new like hart-steel or dovo , but I'd put money they can't compare my -stas !!

EDIT - ohh , I'm off subject/category
Off subject? I dont think there's anything more vintage and if undergoing major surgeries from the time I was eight hadn't given me an abnormal fear of knives and bare sharp edges I'd grow a pair and use them.

Read the thread , and to my understanding a vintage will never be as sharp as a modern ( moderns are like triple Bevel)

But from what I'm reading , sounds like vintage has better quality steel (lasts longer )

I'm kinda doubtful ...over this argument , but for the right price why not?

I am guessing that there are no Excalibur people in this group but do you have any extra prep work for a great shave? Everyday shaving? Could I tell the difference in a vintage since I can hardly see any stubble in the a.m. the only vintage I have tried was P74 injector and saw no difference.

Over time have and use about a dozen different vintage stainless blades; Gillette Stainless, Super Stainless ( Spoilers ), and Platinum Plus, Schicks Stainless, Super Stainless and Plus Platinums, Personna Super Stainless both the G.B and U.S.A. models and every version of the 74s and finally Wilkinson Super Swords and Light Brigades. Also around four or five different carbon ones. A very few, carefully chosen carbons. Of the vintage stainless ones I have, I've managed gather enough of the following in quantities of each to last the rest of my life, the Gillette Stainless, Spoilers and Platinum Plus and each of the Personnas. 74s and Super Stainless. Overkill I know but once I found my method to acquire them at reasonable prices was working I couldn't stop.

Like Mouser, I only shave with vintage blades. I have close to 200 Personna 74s in all iterations, about 30 Personna SPC with tungsten, about 150 Gillette Spoilers, about 150 Gillette Platinum Plus, 30 Wilkinson Super Sword Edge, 100 Tomac Hospital Stainless and about 100 miscellaneous blades.

It's interesting that many vintage blades are packaged in dispensers that allow for quick and effortless hands-off blade change in razors having the center bar with hooked ends. All modern blades have taken a packaging step backwards & now just come in wrappers necessitating extra handling to unwrap & insert into the razor.

It's interesting that many vintage blades are packaged in dispensers that allow for quick and effortless hands-off blade change in razors having the center bar with hooked ends. All modern blades have taken a packaging step backwards & now just come in wrappers necessitating extra handling to unwrap & insert into the razor.
Funny you should say that. That's exactly what first got me interested in vintage blades.

Read the thread , and to my understanding a vintage will never be as sharp as a modern ( moderns are like triple Bevel)

But from what I'm reading , sounds like vintage has better quality steel (lasts longer )

I'm kinda doubtful ...over this argument , but for the right price why not?
I'd have to disagree about vintage blades cant be as sharp as modern. Here's one that for my money is sharper, smoother and certainly longer lasting than any modern blades.

I agree with all posts above by Mouser. I estimate that I shave 90% of the time with vintage blades. I have used all the vintage blades Mouser listed above as well as several others over the years. For my personal preference, I prefer Made in England Wilkinson blades. I have vintage blades of several other brands that I also use from time to time, but most mornings it is an English Wilkinson blade in my razor. I use a variety of Made in England Wilkinson blades that were made in different eras of their production. My favorite era are the Light Brigades and especially the ones that say New Chromium on the package. I have also used many modern production blades discussed on the forums. I will continue to try different vintage and modern blades from time to time as it is intriguing for me and keeps the experience fresh to try something new from time to time.

Mullard

I agree with all posts above by Mouser. I estimate that I shave 90% of the time with vintage blades. I have used all the vintage blades Mouser listed above as well as several others over the years. For my personal preference, I prefer Made in England Wilkinson blades. I have vintage blades of several other brands that I also use from time to time, but most mornings it is an English Wilkinson blade in my razor. I use a variety of Made in England Wilkinson blades that were made in different eras of their production. My favorite era are the Light Brigades and especially the ones that say New Chromium on the package. I have also used many modern production blades discussed on the forums. I will continue to try different vintage and modern blades from time to time as it is intriguing for me and keeps the experience fresh to try something new from time to time.

Mullard
Millard, those Wilkinson Light Brigades are tied for top spot with Personna 74s as my favorite blades but unfortunately unlike all my other vintage blades that through my method I get at prices, on a cost per shave basis, equal to modern blades, no one will let go of those Wilkies for less than offered price and to top that off, they come on the market much less often. Net result is although I have close to 200 P74s I have maybe 20 Light Brigades. I get two weeks from the LBs, and I change out the P74s after 30 even though they don't show any quit yet. I'm just ready for something else.

Anytime I've tried to use vintage DE blades, the experience was so harrowing that I understood why disposable cartridges and whatnot were able to gain dominance in the mid-70s.

Thankfully, today is different.

Anytime I've tried to use vintage DE blades, the experience was so harrowing that I understood why disposable cartridges and whatnot were able to gain dominance in the mid-70s.

Thankfully, today is different.
Do you actually think men back then experienced what you did? Everyone would've had a beard.

Top Bottom