What's new

The Sprout 2020

Siberian Improved? Explain the vareity please.

I may have to retract my “Siberian is hotter” statement. I thought the first taste showed it as hotter than the Scotch Blue curled, but in some tasting since, it didn't seem so. And the S.I. seed packet claims it as a mild flavor. I will try again as they grow and report back.

The Siberian is a less curled and less compact leaf in comparison to dwarf blue curly and scotch blue curled. The latter two are more tightly curled, and possibly more compact growing (under lights may not be a good comparison for that). The Siberian had several leaves break during initial handling as they came up in the enclosure...the dwarf curled’s leaves, a bit tougher in that regard.

Siberian Improved Dwarf:
0BAF3DC2-518D-4EB4-B8C5-4C683BBDCAFB.jpeg

EB933509-FA12-49C5-9F2A-00FFB411BB61.jpeg

Blue Scotch Curled:
989EE324-C6AC-4C5C-936D-6BF64FAC188A.jpeg

C02FDFCF-8E9B-4389-93B4-DEE05122D837.jpeg

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Still too wet to till up the regular garden area, so SWMBO put out her raised bed and a few containers. At least we have something...the local paper said the farmers around here still haven't been able to get their crops in, and may not by April 15th like they need to.

Wild plum

1585172239320.png

Couple of tomato plants

1585172305650.png

Jalapeno, banana peppers, radish, and some onions. Need to try some lettuce and kale or something.

1585172560211.png

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Still too wet to till up the regular garden area, so SWMBO put out her raised bed and a few containers. At least we have something...the local paper said the farmers around here still haven't been able to get their crops in, and may not by April 15th like they need to.

Wild plum

View attachment 1078551

Couple of tomato plants

View attachment 1078553

Jalapeno, banana peppers, radish, and some onions. Need to try some lettuce and kale or something.

View attachment 1078555
Nice going Mike. My garden went straight through winter without a skip.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
The lacinato kale, longevity spinach, and Osaka spinach all are thriving, so I picked some of each to throw in with other mixed greens for a badly needed salad. Mighty good.

I planted some Genovese basil and also some arugula. I'm a bit late on that, but I couldn't find my seeds. I want to put in some green beans, too, but I still can't lay my finger on those seeds.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The lacinato kale, longevity spinach, and Osaka spinach all are thriving, so I picked some of each to throw in with other mixed greens for a badly needed salad. Mighty good.

I planted some Genovese basil and also some arugula. I'm a bit late on that, but I couldn't find my seeds. I want to put in some green beans, too, but I still can't lay my finger on those seeds.
My kale is overgrown. It will have to go though because it's take space up for tomatoes. Kale is queen, but tomatoes are King.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
My lake
My kale is overgrown.

Mine hardly grew over the Winter. I couldn't tell you why, but it's going gangbusters now. I'm going to let it go until it bolts and maybe put some peppers or okra in after that. They'll do fine during the heat of the Summer.

I lost my desire to grow tomatoes some time ago. Too much PITA for what I actually would get out of it. I admire those who have the tenacity.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Gardening frustration scissor crap. Yes, I threw this side-armed backhanded and stuck them in to a tree 12 feet away. Think a Jason Statham movie. One throw. I can't stand scissors that don't perform. I can't tell if it was me or the crap scissors. I ran around the yard yelling hell yeah.!!!!
20200329_120353.jpg
20200329_120408.jpg

Last edited:
Seed potatoes are drying in the tray. Fingerlings and russets. Cut, dusted with D/E, I set them into some shredded hemp stalk litter.

I’m expecting to get them all into the pile and/or garden by mid april and perhaps grow some in laundry baskets on the patio.

3E6C6D7A-FBD6-4F91-BD2E-3DCBDE086D2F.jpeg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

Wild plum

View attachment 1078551

Couple of tomato plants

View attachment 1078553

View attachment 1078555
Looks good Mike. Like those wine or whiskey barrels.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
A farming we will go.
A farming we will go.
Hi ho the Derry-O.
A farming we will go.

It's still pretty wet so I didn't set the depth too deep, but the top crust got broken off. After it dries a bit tonight I'll set the depth stake as deep as it will go and run over it again. Then transplant what we have in the containers and add a few more things. I'm suprised the tiller started pretty easy.

SWMBO makes a good mule behind that tiller.

1587075699166.png

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
A farming we will go.
A farming we will go.
Hi ho the Derry-O.
A farming we will go.

It's still pretty wet so I didn't set the depth too deep, but the top crust got broken off. After it dries a bit tonight I'll set the depth stake as deep as it will go and run over it again. Then transplant what we have in the containers and add a few more things. I'm suprised the tiller started pretty easy.

SWMBO makes a good mule behind that tiller.

View attachment 1087715
What, are you sittin' on the porch watching hummingbirds, counting your TP rolls and drinking Scotch?

....my man.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
SWMBO planted everything but the cucumbers and corn today. I'm not sure if I want to mess with corn again this year, especially with the resident 'coon, but I may change my mind. Had some frost a couple of days ago, but that should pass quickly and I may pick up some more stuff to put in.

1587179457578.png

Top Bottom