What's new

Vote: How many passes is your typical shave?

How many passes is your typical shave?

• Total voters
How many passes does it take you to get your desired shave?

WTG, XTG ATG. How do you get there and what outcome are you looking for?

A half pass is for touch ups.

Typically 1.5... since COVID quarantine I have been taking the time for a careful 3pass. I have two spots I have to avoid ATG otherwise I get ingrowns... but more or less enjoying irritation free BBS courtesy of government orders.

2 to 3 depending on the performance of the blade/razor, days of growth, etc.

Almost always follow a pattern of WTG, ATG, XTG

2.5 passes: wtg, xtg and some touch ups on neck area.
But this also depends on the razor/blade used. On weekends I might try some new blades and for that scope I use a Gillette Black Beauty @1 or 2 and in that case I require 3 passes due to lower aggressiveness/efficiency than my daily Rocca.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

For many years I did a four pass shave. However, for the past few months I have been doing a 3 pass shave on my face and neck with touchup on my neck. However, I do a two-pass shave on my head.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have always done a two pass, WTG then ATG, then touch ups. Occasionally I would do a third XTG pass depending on the razor, number of days of growth, and most importantly if I felt like it. I have plenty of time these days for a third pass as I am working from home so that has become the norm, WTG, XTG, ATG, then touch ups.

With the grain, then re-lather and across the grain, and finally re-lather
upper neck only and go against the grain. It works for me !!

Depending on the blade & the particular brush I'm using, I do either 3 or 4 passes.
New & sharper blades such as BIC, Personna Red, Voskhod, GSB need only 3 passes when new. When I use a smaller brush or one that doesn't hog lather, I'll do 4 passes just to use up the lather.

WTG, XTG, ATG (stretch skin), ATG (puffed cheeks), cleanup. Rinse face between all passes. Bowl lather or face lather depending on my mood. Hit BBS every time.

Unless something goes horribly wrong, I always perform 3 passes (WTG, ATG, XTG in that order).

Rarely, I'll do a touchup if it feels like I missed a spot.

I think the important thing here is to just do whatever feels right on your skin. Don’t push your shave if you feel it not going well, it took me a long time to learn that. I’m doing 3 passes now that I got my hardware locked down, but when I was experimenting lots of times I stopped at 1-1.5

Top Bottom