What's new

Japanese style of shaving against the grain - what exactly is it?

I just watched a video on traditional japanese wet shaving and I am trying to understand how he is doing the shaving against the grain and what razor that is.
The video is:
I already set the time in the link so it can be seen best what I mean.

Anyone knows if he just using oil? Or what generally is used in Japan for that technique?
And what exactly is that razor?
I've never seen that.
Love that technique.

I just watched a video on traditional japanese wet shaving and I am trying to understand how he is doing the shaving against the grain and what razor that is.
The video is:
I already set the time in the link so it can be seen best what I mean.

Anyone knows if he just using oil? Or what generally is used in Japan for that technique?
And what exactly is that razor?
I've never seen that.
Love that technique.

That's some serious skin stretching.

It's not a Razorine, but it is similar in design. The Japanese have produced a few different razors of that design in the past.

I don't think he's using anything other than the original lather. No oil, that I can see.

I actually get my closest shaves using a similar method. Although I probably don't stretch my skin out quite so much.

Just wondering why he started shaving with a Artist Club DX and later switched to this Razorine like "thing". Is that better for more precise and detailed shaving?

I can feel my face getting irritation just watching that. I like BBS and and don't achieve it unless I go overboard with the razor and end up with a little burn to boot. The is just beyond what I would do because my face couldn't take that much stretching.

Just wondering why he started shaving with a Artist Club DX and later switched to this Razorine like "thing". Is that better for more precise and detailed shaving?
I do not understand either, maybe he likes using the "razorine" for more precise work with less chance of giving the customer razor burn. I am not sure why he did not use it for the whole shave, maybe he wanted a brand new blade for the final pass, or maybe that razor will clog more on the first pass requiring him to go back and forth to the sink to rinse it in the middle of the shave. So he used the Artist Club first for easier beard reduction.

like cella rapidshave, its like a rapid shave cream that barbers use. my barber uses this when certain situations arise.

Untitled2.png

And to address the topic, unless he has some sort of magic razor or oil or something..... my face would NOT put up with all that abuse. I always thought a barber shave would be relaxing but that looks about as relaxing as going to the dentist.

My apologies, I grew up in the country with no tv or sports to speak of.... but we had toys WITH MOTORS!
I had a rink in my backyard and had friends play in the nhl living in Detroit.
This no sports thing has been interesting for the past few weeks. I’m not a heavy sports fan but no hockey, baseball and soccer has been different.

Considering all the money wrapped up in tickets and vendors and all that goes along with sports.... I wonder where that money is or is going in the absence? I know people who live and breath sports. I have not talked to any recently but I suppose I need to see how they are coping LOL

Top Bottom