What's new

How long can we expect a highend synthetic brush to last?

Say a Simpson or a Muhle synthetics. Your views please.
Synthetic brushes ought to last basically forever. I have 30 year old boar brushes that still function well. When knots fall out I reglue them and they are better than new. My grandpa used one boar brush for over 30 years and it didn't look worn out at all. But then again grandpa took care of it because it was the only brush he had.

Clayton

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

They should last for as long as the glue in the knot lasts. The hairs are just plastic fibers, so those should never really break down. Its all down to the glue.

For about 3 years I've had a Simpsons and a Muhle and they each get used a couple of times a week. Don't think that either has ever lost a hair, so I think that a very long time is your answer. If the handle pops out it can always be glued back in.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
If you look after it I think it should last a life time so to speak. I never used to look after my brushes. I bought a cheap one and used it till it fell apart or was basically unusable. These days I have a few that I rotate around and give them a spa every now and again.

Extrapolating of other synthetic fibers (esp. tooth brushes), with a thick knot maybe two or three years of daily use. But since we all have 30+ brushes and rotate constantly, I would say 10-15 years or longer.

If you don’t like it too long.
If you like it unknown.
If you have other brushes longer than if you didn’t.
If you shave daily shorter than if you shave once a week.
I don’t think about it honestly because I like to shop for new ones.

worst is when the handle is made from ceramic, with custom art on it. and it falls and breaks.
IMG_0368.JPGIMG_0369.JPG

Synthetic shaving brushes have only been available for the past few years. I doubt anyone who has purchased one has ever worn one out unless the knot was not made properly. Of course, if a brush is dropped, its life might be drastically shortened.

Since most synthetic shaving brushes are produced from nylon bristles, the most important thing do so is prevent exposure to direct sunlight. Nylon will degrade with exposure to Ultraviolet light. Thus, a synthetic brush that is properly maintained should give decades of use.

I have a Barbershop brand boar brush made in Austria over 35 years ago. It will still whip up a nice lather. I used it earlier this week as part of my rotation. The original lacquer has peeled from the wooden handle, but the brush itself is just fine.

If you don’t like it too long.
If you like it unknown.
If you have other brushes longer than if you didn’t.
If you shave daily shorter than if you shave once a week.
I don’t think about it honestly because I like to shop for new ones.

Post of the day!! :a29:

Extrapolating of other synthetic fibers (esp. tooth brushes), with a thick knot maybe two or three years of daily use. But since we all have 30+ brushes and rotate constantly, I would say 10-15 years or longer.

I agree, toothbrushes are the best example of the longevity of synthetic fibers. And while we aren’t scrubbing as hard with a shaving brush, the bristles do take a beating. My oldest synthetic shaving brush is about five years old. It’s showing some wear but only in the sense that it has “bloomed” a little like a badger brush. Regardless, synthetic brushes are an outstanding value. Even your “high end“ synthetic was probably 1/2 the price of an equivalent badger brush. So I say, use that sucker and when/if it finally wears out, buy a new one.

Top Bottom