What's new

The end of the DE travel razor?

Recently I was taken aside by security at a major US airport and asked some pointed questions about something I was attempting to take aboard a plane in my carry on bag. It was a Gillette Slim, with no blade in it. None of the security officers at this particular station had any idea what it was. (Ironically, later I discovered I had also left an Astra SP blade in my carry on bag, completely missed both by the officers and by me.)

I suppose I'm most depressed and annoyed by the fact the security people didn't even know what a Slim was. My father, their grandfathers and nearly every other man would have had something similar, if not exactly the same, when they boarded planes in the 1960s and well into the 1970s. Life generally and air travel in particular are simply not as classy as they once were. I'll still use DE razors exclusively at home, of course, but I'll travel with plastic disposables. Though, my travel Tech in its cute little original case likely would have aroused less suspicion.

Different country but airport security is the same beast, normally when I travel by air I travel only with a carry on and bring a disposable too, few months ago I got confiscated half a tube of L'Occitanne shaving cream because it stated 150 ml and it is more than the permited fluid capacity, even if it was half a tube...
I keep my DE razors for when I travel by car (vacations mostly) and wanna have a luxury shave...
Traveling by air nowadays is no longer an experience, more of a chore...

Cheers

Can't say I'm surprised... I always check my DE if I'm travelling... otherwise use a disposable sadly. I know you are "allowed" to bring a DE on a plane with no blades but it's not worth the hassle IMO

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I don’t travel much but I would take a cartridge razor just to be safe. I would not like to leave a good razor behind in a motel and also I would not like a good razor to be confiscated.

I traveled to Europe a couple of years ago and brought with me both an Old Type Gillette and a prewar Tech as a backup. I carried these razors in my carry on bag through airports in Albuquerque, Los Angeles, Canada, Denmark, and France. Several times I was asked to open up my razor case, but since I had no blades with me the razors were never cause for alarm. I asked TSA how often they encounter safety razors and they told me it’s not that uncommon to see them. I am surprised that none of the security personnel you encountered knew what a safety razor was.

I suppose I'm most depressed and annoyed by the fact the security people didn't even know what a Slim was.
Very much depends on the individual officer. If they use electric razors or cartridge razors then their knowledge will be limited.
DE razor in carryon luggage can be a problem even without the blade.

For me it is still a bit silly they allow a pencil or ballpoint and it is very good possible to kill someone with one of these.
Interesting how they would react on something like a injector or a focus dynamic r48

For me it is still a bit silly they allow a pencil or ballpoint and it is very good possible to kill someone with one of these.
Interesting how they would react on something like a injector or a focus dynamic r48

Next flight I am tempted to take my Oneblade Core with a blade inserted just to see their reaction. My guess is they're going to think is a cart razor...

Cheers

I am allmost sure they will think that it looks like a cart. Maybe a head protector and they leave it alone

No, it's not the end of the DE travel razor. Not for me, anyway.

I used to carry a Slim, but started to worry about it being confiscated, lost or stolen. So, now, I carry a Maggard V3 with a misaligned head that gives me a mild side and an aggressive side. I'm not worried about losing it because it (or any other low-end razor) can be easily and cheaply replaced.

If you are traveling by air and have a checked bag, put your DE razor in that along with a tuck of blades. If your are not checking a bag, you cannot legally carry a DE razor blade, so why would you take the razor? You might be able to find DE blades at your location, but even if you can, selection will be limited. About the only DE blades I have seen in stores recently have been either VDH blades, which are too dull for my beard or store branded blades, which if you are lucky will be generic Israeli Personnas.

If I am traveling by automobile, I have even taken straight razors with me. If I am traveling by air, I take an electric shaver and a cartridge razor.

I still take my old plastic Wilkinson sword when ever I travel the blades send to the hotel by post or find local .
never had a problem tell a lie I did have to ask for a supervisor once when a pimpled agent who wasn't old enough to shave asked what it was .

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I take a plastic Feather Popular, or a three-piece, with the pieces scattered.

Or a disposable Bic Metal.

I wouldn't risk losing a Slim.

AA

Went to see Mom in Florida - Packed a Bakelite slant and mailed a few blades to her house.

Such intrigue just to get a good shave!

BTW gone forever are the days when flying was like boarding a bus. Well-wishers could watch you take off....

proxy.php

Last edited:
I have taken my DE without even realizing it might be an issue. Never had an issue. Some other things I have thought to be fine and caused a hold up. 1 item that always gets me at the air port and court house is my pocket knife. I have put a pocket knife on with my clothes everyday since I can remember. Pretty sure it went with me to school as well. Grew up on a farm. Was just part of your everyday life. So it gets put in without any thought. Empty pockets into plastic been, and...…. people start freaking out "YOU CANNOT HAVE THAT HERE!" Sorry, I am sorry, Habit, did not think about it.

I keep a cartridge razor on hand for this very reason. I try to avoid checking baggage and while a bladeless razor should technically be okay, having to hunt for blades once I reach my destination is one more hassle I do not want to deal with.

BTW gone forever are the days when flying was like boarding a bus. Well-wishers could watch you take off....

proxy.php

I remember those days. When I went to college in the mid to late 1960s, boarding an Eastern Air Lines plane out of Newark Airport looked just like that 1935 picture. Even as late as the 1960s, men still wore a suit or sport coat and tie to fly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom