What's new

Saw a thing on the web...made said thing for less haha

So I was perusing the internet, looking at shaving stuff as we do lol and came across a setup that I really liked. However it was a bit more than I wanted to spend for it. So I pulled up my big boy pants, went into the shop and made it. I used Eastern Red Aromatic Cedar instead of Pine, Oak or whatever else they had it available in. I absolutely love the smell of cedar and it fits my decor here at home so win win.
20200324_192907~2.jpg
20200324_192902~2.jpg
20200324_195935_HDR~2.jpg
20200324_200006~2.jpg

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Excellent. Cool to make your own rather than buying a cheaper crappier version!

<poor taste alert> your mug made me think of the phrase "I'm a cunning linguist". </poor taste alert> and a pun to the sharp too I guess.

Very very nice indeed!!
Can you tell how you cut the 'U" shape so consistently the same shape and size? I tried before using a hack saw, usable but terrible 'U'

Thank you much! Well, I used a hole saw to cut the radius at the end and then just followed through with a manual miter saw to cut the rest out.

If you are curious about the hole size for the brushes, I used a 1 1/4" hole saw. For the razor handles I used a 5/8" spade bit.

Thank you much! Well, I used a hole saw to cut the radius at the end and then just followed through with a manual miter saw to cut the rest out.

If you are curious about the hole size for the brushes, I used a 1 1/4" hole saw. For the razor handles I used a 5/8" spade bit.
Great, thanks for sharing! I can now proceed with my own rack. Your shave den & rack look terrific btw...well done!!

Excellent. Cool to make your own rather than buying a cheaper crappier version!

<poor taste alert> your mug made me think of the phrase "I'm a cunning linguist". </poor taste alert> and a pun to the sharp too I guess.
And a “Master Debater”?

Last edited:
Well done. Lovely stand.

However, if you included the value of your time in making this stand, I suspect the cost was far higher than the purchase price. However, in these unusual times when many of us are stuck at home tryng to outlast the virus, the value of time may not be as high as it once was.

Very nice indeed! The best part is you know the quality and can appreciate the end result every time you use it. Did you seal the cedar or leave it raw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done. Lovely stand.

However, if you included the value of your time in making this stand, I suspect the cost was far higher than the purchase price. However, in these unusual times when many of us are stuck at home tryng to outlast the virus, the value of time may not be as high as it once was.
Thanks. I've only got an hour or so into this stand and the materials were given to me by a good friend so realistically the value wouldn't be near what the cost of the item is online but none the less I definitely appreciate it more. Plus it is made out of a much preferred wood to the other offerings.

Very nice indeed! The best part is you know the quality and can appreciate the end result every time you use it. Did you seal the cedar or leave it raw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you. I left it raw. I didn't feel the need to seal it since it is cedar and I wanted as much of the natural aroma to permeate the air as possible haha.

Excellent work. Build some jigs and fixtures, mass produce, sell at craft fairs, PROFIT! Or if your like me, say that was fun and never build another LOL.

Very, very nice

Top Bottom